DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Using 48fps for music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467121-using-48fps-music-video.html)

Jason LeFrense November 4th, 2009 09:51 AM

Using 48fps for music video

Hey Guys, I have a situation where the client wants me to shoot music video overcranked so we can slow it down in post. I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how I will sync up the video to actual audio recording. He is going to play the song at double speed. Any ideas will be more then welcomed.

Jason

Piotr Wozniacki November 4th, 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason LeFrense (Post 1442652)
Hey Guys, I have a situation where the client wants me to shoot music video overcranked so we can slow it down in post. I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how I will sync up the video to actual audio recording. He is going to play the song at double speed. Any ideas will be more then welcomed.

Jason

Playing the song at double speed, syncing it with you 48 fps overcranked video, and then slowing them both down 50% would work as far as sync is considered. However,

- speeding/slowing any kind of music this much brings about a lot of pitch-related problems. If you have really good, pro tools for preserving the pitch, you could try this path.

Shaun R Walker November 4th, 2009 03:44 PM

Piotor is correct. I did the same thing in this music video
. Slom-mo stuff starts in the middle of the clip

The band may have difficulty playing and singing along to the double speed playback, but the results are pretty cool

Andrew Stone November 5th, 2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1442661)
Playing the song at double speed, syncing it with you 48 fps overcranked video, and then slowing them both down 50% would work as far as sync is considered. However,

- speeding/slowing any kind of music this much brings about a lot of pitch-related problems. If you have really good, pro tools for preserving the pitch, you could try this path.

Unless all the music is completely MIDI based. The beauty about midi is you can adjust tempo without pitch shifting.

Jason LeFrense November 5th, 2009 09:38 PM

great job on the video man, the footage looked great. Thats exactly what I am trying to do. The band actually has the recording in double speed so they plan on playing it on set so they can sync to it.

Tim Polster November 5th, 2009 10:22 PM

Maybe I am missing something but you would not need to slow the music down for the final output.

You would perform on the set with the music playing on set at twice speed, but you would only slow the video down to half speed in post.

If everything worked well your music playing at normal speed would match the now 1/2 speed video.

So no audio pitch problems should be in the mix.

The video "My Sacrifice" by Creed comes to mind. Most of this video is shot this way. Looks great.

Graham King November 9th, 2009 11:44 AM

I shot 2 music videos both at 60 fps S&Q and did not change pitch. I velcroed a $200 audio recorder to the camera rig, set it to 48khz, attched the shotgun, slated every shot that had a performance. The audio synced perfectly in post. After syncing it was just like I recorded with camera audio.

Here's the first video. It's my first music video ever so nothing special: Bohemia - Charso Bees (420)