DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Clipbrowser Takes out the Rolling Shutter! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467511-clipbrowser-takes-out-rolling-shutter.html)

Sean Seah November 11th, 2009 08:51 AM

Clipbrowser Takes out the Rolling Shutter!

Attended the EX1R launch in my country today and the Factory Manager from Japan demonstrated the new clip browser's ability to repair the rolling shutter effect automatically. That is really cool as us EX1, EX3 users will benefit from it. Anyway, he explained it was not implemented in EX1R like the HPX300 because there may be hits and misses by doing it on the fly. Only thing I'm not sure which version of the clipbrowser he was using as it was in Japanese!

Craig Seeman November 11th, 2009 09:48 AM

ClipBrowser 2.6 does this. It has a manual and and auto detection mode. It's already available for download in some countries. It fixes the "camera flash" rolling shutter issue (partial flash frame). I suspect doing it in software after shooting allows more control than building it camera. This way if the auto detection misses one can still fix manually.

Charles Newcomb November 11th, 2009 10:13 AM

What am I missing? Why would they make it available in some countries and not in others?

Craig Seeman November 11th, 2009 10:21 AM

Apparently Sony's websites are maintained separately so it's not a "master plan" when it comes to software updates. Since I have visited EU, Canada, USA website, I can say the USA site is almost always last and often the updates aren not well documented. For example, USA website still post the current XDCAM Transfer as 2.7 even though it links to 2.10. It posts SxS driver as 1.0.3 although it links to the Mac version 1.0.4.

I suspect Clip Browser 2.6 will roll out in the USA in December with the release of the EX1R. I believe the EU site has 2.6 already which is where I got it from. Basically I register at all the Sony sites and grab it from whoever gets something first . . . which is never the USA site. In order to do this I believe I had to identify New York as city in the UK. It's just a minor modification of history after all.

Andy Wilkinson November 11th, 2009 02:31 PM

Well there we go again, good old Europe, and in particular us in the UK, are ahead of the pack! ;-)

Seriously though, you'd think Sony would get their head round this stuff and realise it's a global marketplace they are supporting.

Or maybe we're just the Beta testers and you guys only get access when we've shown it's not bug ridden...

Sean Seah November 11th, 2009 07:16 PM

One more interesting news is Sony will offically allow us to update the firmware finally. (No more depot) Due to the new 32Gb SxS-1, the firmware must be upgraded to handle that.

Swen Goebbels November 16th, 2009 03:12 PM

I filmed a photoshooting last week and thought the auto detection of the new Clip Browser 2.6 will correct the footage but I was stupid enough not to test this tool BEFORE I took that job. So Yesterday I did run a test and it does not detect any flash in the video.... so what am I doing wrong? The only thing which works fine is the manual flash removal tool, but I have filmed 3,5 hours on that photoshoting and don't like to remove this by hand.

I don't think that the Software cause the problem, it can't work so bad I think so I search for my operating mistake (BTW: The Clip Browser User Guide which I downloaded with the Software from the Sony UK Website is just for version 2.5, not v2.6).

So for example, when I click with the right mouse button onto a clip which contains a flash and chose "Flash Band" then "Detect and Correct" and to make it more easy for the software "in and out section" with just a two second sequence which contains one flash it won't detect anything! The same happens when I chose the complete clip to do that.... I tried this with a lot of different clips with different flash settings and I was not able to make the software detecting any of these flashes. Very disappointing!

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Steve Kalle November 16th, 2009 08:16 PM

I'm starting another thread about the problems I have been having lately. I tried Clip Browser 2.6 last night and it kept crashing my Win 7 pc. It happened at the same point in time within the clip so I am assuming it found flash and couldn't deal with it. I don't know whats wrong but its useless to me.

Alister Chapman November 17th, 2009 12:25 AM

Swen, how long are the clips? The clips need to be quite long to allow the software to work out what is "normal".

Swen Goebbels November 17th, 2009 01:23 AM

Alister,

thank you for your info about that. I thought it will be easier for the software to work with shorter clips.... I will try it now with longer clips and let you know.

Swen Goebbels November 17th, 2009 02:19 AM

Now I tried some clips longer than 2 Minutes, but I don't get this tool working. I still think I operate the software wrong. Furthermore I did select now about 120 of these clips (in total about 50 minutes), then right mouse button "detect and correct"... at the end the message is "Detect Clips120 Corrected Clips 0". Also when the software really would not work perfect, there must be about 100 flashes within these clip and it should detect at least some of them.

I think there must be an info for each clip when I select the clip and click on Flash Band under the Preview Monitor. There is zero info in the timecode, detect or status field and the clips look still untouched. Also in the Folder "Flash Band" (think that's the place where clipBrowser will place the corrected clips) is empty!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe a OS problem? I'm running the ClipBrowser v2.6 on Vista 64 on Quad Core Notebook. As Steve wrote he has problems on his Windows 7 machine. Maybe the sometimes strange "user accounts settings" on Vista cause the trouble and will not allow the clipbrowser to change something on the clips or to copy them ???

C.S. Michael November 18th, 2009 11:16 PM

I'm also having problems with Clip Browser 2.6 on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine -- major crash (system completely froze while retrieving the first clip).

Craig Seeman November 19th, 2009 07:10 AM

It seems there may be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 so I hear. So it's not just us Mac Snow Leopard users who had to suffer. I guess Sony didn't have enough lead time to develop a 7 compatible version as the OS beta only went public . . . how many months ago!

Adam Plywaczewski November 19th, 2009 08:46 AM

Well, our ClipBrowser paired with OSX 10.5, nor with Windows XP did not detect any of the obvious flashes from the 6 minutes long photoshoot footage recorded. So what's detect mode for?

Martin Kolditz May 21st, 2011 11:24 AM

Re: Clipbrowser Takes out the Rolling Shutter!

In my experience, rolling shutter can be described as slanting of vertical lines during a fast pan. If CB 2.6 can remove rolling shutter, can someone please show me where to do this? I only see flash band removal... sorry for sounding "newbyish"!!!

Cheers...
Martin