DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony SxS cards versus SDHC Class 6 cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/467731-sony-sxs-cards-versus-sdhc-class-6-cards.html)

Piotr Wozniacki November 16th, 2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1447985)
I have a couple of Kensington adaptors but have never used them. The new adaptors from MxM that prevent you from removing the SDHC card in combination with the ATP Pro cards feel very solid and I've got the adaptors almost too hot to handle on a recent shoot.

There is an issue with the SDHC cards in that the contact dimensions are a bit rubbery. With some cards the contacts only just make contact with the adaptors. Removing the chance of the SDHC card moving at all plus improving the speed of the chips in the adaptors makes the MxM adaptors a good buy from my experience.

I can't say they're better as I've never had a problem with any of this kit, all I can say is the latest offering feels more solid. The older design caused me to pop a SDHC card out when I hadn't intended to. The camera seems a little more responsive as well. Thumbnails coming up quicker etc. Sorry that's a very subjective evaluation and should not be taken as gospel.

I fully agree with what Bob said. I've been only using MxM (two combos with Sandisk 16 GB, one combo with ATP Pro 32GB), and I never EVER had a single error message.

BTW, the slot light changes from red to green within some 3-4 secs; it's longer than with SxS, but my EX1 will never try to start recording too early, anyway.

Anthony McErlean November 16th, 2009 08:52 AM

Marcus, I just noticed the ATP cards in Amazon are showing a green label unlike the ones you link to with blue labels. Wonder if there is a difference in them.

Marcus Durham November 16th, 2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1448046)
Marcus, I just noticed the ATP cards in Amazon are showing a green label unlike the ones you link to with blue labels. Wonder if there is a difference in them.

I have no idea if there is a difference. But keep in mind when I got mine from Amazon there was no picture at all! This is the first time the listing has had a picture.

The description however remains the same. Go figure.

I can't guarantee anything but given the description hasn't changed I don't see why they wouldn't be OK. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the cards that turn up have blue labels.

Anthony McErlean November 16th, 2009 09:01 AM

Thanks Marcus, that was quick:)

Yes, I checked the spec of the card too and it looked the same to me, I was trying to get a link to the seller to email them and ask.

Thanks Marcus.

Anthony McErlean November 16th, 2009 09:58 AM

Marcus, did another search on Amazon and there was a ATP card with a blue label but it was a bit more expensive.

Can I ask, what colour of label was on the cards you got from Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Marcus Durham November 16th, 2009 10:44 AM

My cards are blue. See my blog entry here which includes a photo of a card:

Media2u Corporate Video Production Blog

The link on that page takes you to the Amazon page where I got my card from.

When I wrote the blog entry last week the Amazon listing had no photo on the page. It now shows a green card.

*But* as far as Amazon is concerned, this is the same card as I purchased. The page tells me I last purchased one of these cards on the 1st of October. The cards I purchased from this listing are blue.

Are you sure you aren't looking at another ATP product such as their CompactFlash? I've nearly accidentally purchased one of those myself!

Anthony McErlean November 16th, 2009 11:06 AM

Thanks again Marcus, the link from your blog took me to the Amazon site and it was then I noticed it was a green coloured card.
Strange :) I'll see when it arrives.

The Blue label ATP card does say "ATP Waterproof / Dustproof 16GB ProMAX Compact Flash Card (150x) 22.5MB/sec"

Thanks for your help.

Charles Newcomb November 16th, 2009 12:37 PM

UPDATE: I just spoke with Jean from Hoodman. They are sending a replacement today.

Anthony McErlean November 19th, 2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Durham (Post 1448048)
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the cards that turn up have blue labels.

Your were right Marcus, It arrived with a blue label.

I got myself an MXM adaptor as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Marcus Durham November 19th, 2009 09:27 AM

That's good news. I guess Amazon just threw in any old image as previously there was no image at all.

Marcus Durham November 20th, 2009 01:56 PM

Some bad news for UK based people. Just went to Amazon to order a couple more ATP cards and the price has gone up to £59! My previous cards cost £41 so that's a pretty big jump.

However having just done some sums, it still works out cheaper than importing them from the USA. Although the cards are far cheaper in the USA by the time you've added delivery and the fact that Parcelforce will intercept the cards and slap you with a 20 quid handling fee and import tax, Amazon still works out marginally cheaper.

That said I am tempted to order one of these up from the USA to try:

ATP 32GB 150x Class 6 ProMax SDHC Card ATP 32GB ProMAX SDHC Card Detail Page

One of those combined with the lockable MxR would be an awesome combination.

Bob Grant November 21st, 2009 01:51 AM

Yesterday had a frantic phone call from a client who had lost expensive to replace shots.
All on a SxS card. They had a DIT who thought he had transferred all the clips but hadn't.
I don't hold out much hope as they'd formatted the cards before returning them.
Once again all I can say (again) is that due to the human element these dodgy SDHC cards can be a lot safer than the expensive SxS media.

Charles Newcomb November 21st, 2009 09:20 AM

An update on my issue with Hoodman: Last Monday I called bright and early to tell them about the adapter and card that had failed. I was told they'd send out a replacement that day and it would arrive in two days. Yesterday (Friday) it had still not arrived. So I called again and was told, "Apparently someone left it in the back and didn't get it off to UPS."

I just got an email from UPS saying they have a package en-route to me from Hoodman.

Marcus Durham November 21st, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1450403)
Yesterday had a frantic phone call from a client who had lost expensive to replace shots.
All on a SxS card. They had a DIT who thought he had transferred all the clips but hadn't.
I don't hold out much hope as they'd formatted the cards before returning them.
Once again all I can say (again) is that due to the human element these dodgy SDHC cards can be a lot safer than the expensive SxS media.

Footage doesn't really exist unless you have it in two places. It's one thing taking a copy onto a laptop during a lunch hour on a shoot, but anyone who copies footage and then formats cards when in the field needs their heads seeing to.

Dave Morrison November 21st, 2009 12:09 PM

Bob, I don't think that the sloppiness of the DIT is an indictment of SxS cards. Those files would be JUST as lost if they had been shot onto SD cards and the DIT failed to copy them properly. So, your argument is invalid. Thanks for playing.