Extended warranty necessary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Extended warranty necessary?

Hope to receive the EX1R today via FedEx....didn't buy an extended warranty with this - should I? I can get one for about $145 for 3 years (do you know of a better deal?)...is it everyone's experience that extended w's are good, useful worth it? Or just overkill for their EX cameras?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I have read in the past that Consumer reports mention that extendeded warrantees are nothing but moneymakers for the reseller and manufacturer.
I think you would be better off properly insuring your camera.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I've got equipment insurance but I think that's if it drops and cracks, is stolen, etc. I doubt if it covers defects, etc that show up 2 years after purchase. Not sure insurance would cover what a warranty covers...other thoughts?
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Major Player

I had a problem a few years ago with my betacam, viewfinder circuitry, that could not be replaced or repaired.
Ins. covered this.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

you automatically get a 1 year warranty with the purchase. so in essence you're for an additional 2 yea warranty. i agree with the others. put that money towards your insurance bills.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Major Player

who do you guys use for insurance?
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Trustee

The only issue I've personally had with my EX1 is the silk screened lettering wearing off the panels, but I am otherwise persuaded this cam worldwide has has an abysmal track record for needed repairs, lens replacements, board replacements, and they are very expensive.

When I do this over, (have PMW350 on pre-order), I will probably buy extended warranty coverage due to lingering doubts I have about Sony Q.C., even though I otherwise practically NEVER purchase extended warranties. This equipment is expensive, and Sony denies too many claims, citing fault of the owner, my $0.02.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #8
New Boot

Kent, (or anyone else),

Where are you getting your extended warranties? I think B&H has 3 yrs for around $500, and I see Kent you mentioned a much lower price.... where?

Does anyone have any recommendation?
Daniel Zenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Major Player

I bought my EX1 from an authorized Sony dealer and purchased the Sony Extended Warranty.....and I'm glad I did. I believe it was around $159 and added two years to my coverage. Since I've had pretty much every EX1 defect, I've considered it cheap insurance. Also, if you buy an aftermarket warranty or insurance, you will probably have to pay for the repairs out of your own pocket initially and have to file a claim to get reimbursed. With the Sony warranty, I just send it to either Calif. or NJ and pray for the best. ;)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Trustee

Yes, Yes Yes, Yes Yes. I didn't know it was available. Just got hit with a $2000 repair bill 1 3/4 years in. I'm hoping the extended warranty on my AMEX card will cover it. $150 is nothing . Same thing happened to me 1 3/4 years into my HVX - that was a $1500 bill. Don't question it for a second just buy it. In both cases I had unexpected board failures that were no fault of mine.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Major Player

I was told by my insurance co (State Farm) that they cover my equipment if lost, stolen, fire, etc, but of course NOT if out of warranty and needs repair - so I'm not sure what others' insurance is like but mine won't do it, guess I'll get the SONY extended warranty, though what a shame SONY and other co's can't give a 3 year warranty on parts seeing how much $ these cameras cost. I think AbelCine and B&H have these warranties available as well as Media Solutions.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Yes, Yes Yes, Yes Yes. I didn't know it was available. Just got hit with a $2000 repair bill 1 3/4 years in. I'm hoping the extended warranty on my AMEX card will cover it. $150 is nothing . Same thing happened to me 1 3/4 years into my HVX - that was a $1500 bill. Don't question it for a second just buy it. In both cases I had unexpected board failures that were no fault of mine.
The price and length of the warranty are an indication of the anticipated failure record. A disk drive with a five year warranty is expected to run nearly that. Otherwise, returns would make the product unprofitable. My experience with consumer electronics, including camcorders in the Sony VX2000/Z1/EX1 range, is that the sum of the amount spent on all extended warranties is more than the total amount spent on repairs. The memories of the 1-3 devices that failed early burns bright. Anecdotal evidence has a tendency to override average behavior. If we thought that way about cars, no one would drive.

I would say that selling a device with a few months left on an internal warranty does increase its purchase price. I received the highest bid in a year on my Sony FX1 with a few months left on the Sony extended warranty. Nikon lenses sold with the box and paperwork for valid extended warranties sell for top dollar on eBay. Nikon states that their extended five year warranty is not transferrable to another owner, but there are reports that Nikon continues to service the lenses regardless of the shipper.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
My experience with consumer electronics, including camcorders in the Sony VX2000/Z1/EX1 range, is that the sum of the amount spent on all extended warranties is more than the total amount spent on repairs. The memories of the 1-3 devices that failed early burns bright. Anecdotal evidence has a tendency to override average behavior.
I totally agree. The tolerance for risk is the driver. To pay $500 up front that you'll never get back, to insulate you from an unlikely $2,000 repair consequence. The problem I have with the Sony XDCAM, is that the anecdotal evidence is strong. We know and trust these people that are having problems.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Trustee

My personal experience is bad. 2 expensive repairs each within 2 years. My suspicion is that modern cameras are more complicated and that more can go wrong . The Ex-1 seems especially prone to all sorts of issues. Maybe I just have bad Karma.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Well Leonard, I guess my karma sucks too. ;)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds