DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony EX1R Ship to Australia via the US?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/469008-sony-ex1r-ship-australia-via-us.html)

Christian Filippone December 6th, 2009 03:48 AM

Sony EX1R Ship to Australia via the US??

I'm just a guy trying to get a fair price on a camera.
Does anyone know of a company in the United States that ships the Sony Ex1r to Australia?
B&H does not!! I would like to purchase the EX1R from the United States because buying locally (Melbourne, Australia) is a rip off!! They will probably retail at about $11000+!!
or is their anyone trustworthy that I could send the money & send it to me via post from B&HPhoto??

thanx!!

Nick Wilson December 6th, 2009 03:56 AM

I am pretty sure that Sony stops its authorised dealers shipping their goods outside their territory. The only option is to collect or get the camera delivered to a US address, check first how you would access warrantee service once the camera is back with you.

Graeme Fullick December 6th, 2009 04:12 AM

Christian,

There are other options you might consider.

I can suggest a couple of places in Australia and New Zealand that are between A$8700 and $9200 - not quite as cheap as B&H, but a lot less than the big shops in Oz. You can get it for about A$7700 from NZ, but you will pay about $200 postage and $770 import GST.
A shop in Sydney sells for around $9200 when I last asked, might be little more now.

If you need details e-mail me and I will give you the contacts. Can't put the names in here as they are not sponsors of DV info - at least thats how I think it works!

John Harbor December 6th, 2009 05:31 AM

Sent you a PM on where in NZ you can get it.....

Save the import duties and give yourself a cheap flight there and back, and get some nice footage with the new camera while you are over there !!

I have to agree, we are ripped off so badly here in Oz its a joke.

I brought the ACM-21 2/3 adaptor for my EX3 from NZ for $900 less than I could by it here of fujinon, and hundreds less than a few other places that I wont mention :(
And they wonder why we go to the trouble to import.

John Harbor December 6th, 2009 05:34 AM

whoops....sorry graeme......should have read your complete post first.....

Graeme Fullick December 6th, 2009 01:10 PM

John,

You still get stung for the GST even if you go over there! You can take the risk and not declare it, but you risk a fine and double import duties - so not recommended. Probably still works out cheaper than here in OZ.

David C. Williams December 6th, 2009 03:56 PM

Don't forget Sony AU offer a 2 year full warranty as well.

John Harbor December 6th, 2009 06:14 PM

They'd want to offer on call dancing girls for the price difference !! hahahaha.....

anyway, I am kind of hoping the warranty is of no value at all....... fingers crossed anyway :)

Christian Filippone December 6th, 2009 10:55 PM

Thanks for the replies!! but what about this (click on the virtual tour)

USAMail1 - International Mail Forwarding and Consolidation - Low International Shipping Rates - Online Mail Access

According to what I read you can buy online (B&Hphoto) send it to a NY address then get it sent to anywhere in the world!! Do you think they are trustworthy? Is it worth it?

thanks

Alastair Traill December 7th, 2009 12:08 AM

Christian,

I know of three Sony dealers in Melbourne and I mentioned your post to my preferred one today. He seemed to think your $11,000+ quote was well above what he expects to sell them for. An advantage in buying locally is that your dealer should be behind you if any problem arises. I have been well pleased with the service I have had from my Melbourne dealer over the last thirty plus years.

Christian Filippone December 8th, 2009 05:47 AM

Alastair,

Ok so I found a couple of places that are doing them for about $9500 (RRP $10500) If you purchase the camera at B&H it costs $6299 converted to Aussie it is about $6880.
Why are they charging over $2700 more than the US? Does it cost $2000+ per camera to be shipped to Australia? I also honestly don't think that good service is worth the extra thousands of dollars you have to pay. I would rather put that money towards a new laptop. If a problem arises I come to Dvinfo Forum if I still cant work it out or it is mechanical problem I will happily send to Sony. I still think we are getting ripped off here in Australia.

Alastair Traill December 8th, 2009 06:28 AM

Christian,

My Melbourne Sony dealer thought that the sale price would be around $8675.

If I was you I would also be asking about the availability of firmware updates and warranty work on a camera purchased overseas. I recently had a firmware update that was free under the Australian warranty and was done in two days. I also had a battery replaced under warranty. Without the warranty all this would have come to over $600. It would have been a nuisance to send the camera overseas.

Charles Newcomb December 8th, 2009 08:36 AM

Beside all of the aforementioned, if you bought it here and sent it there, it would want to be driving on the wrong side of the road all the time, and all the data would flow backwards.

Graeme Fullick December 8th, 2009 01:57 PM

Christian,

Dont forget to add import cost to your B&H costing - there will be at least $1000 of these. I went through this same process, and when the difference narrowed to less than $1000 decided to buy here. Three frimware updates and 2 warranty claims easily covered that.

Paul Mailath December 8th, 2009 03:59 PM

All you're doing is looking at the raw price & whinging - do some research and find out the real cost of getting the camera into the country!

Sony Ex1r from B&H = $6,300
cartage = $163
total US$ = $6,462

in aussie $ you pay $7,100

**Customs duty - copied from the customs website
How is the value of goods calculated?
The Customs value of goods imported into Australia is based on information (in particular, the value of the goods) as advised by the importer.
When the goods are valued at more than A$1000 threshold, or include alcohol or tobacco products of any value, a Customs value will be determined that is used as the basis for calculating the value of any duty and/or GST.
The Customs value is combined with other items (customs duty, international transport and insurance costs and, where applicable, Wine Equalisation Tax) to produce the value of the taxable importation (VoTI). The Customs value is equivalent to the Australian currency purchase price of the goods. An example of how the duty and GST on goods valued at A$1000 is calculated:
Customs value
Customs duty @ 5% x $1,000
(Payable)
International transport and insurance
VoTI
GST @ 10% x $1,200
(Payable)
Total payable (Customs duty + GST)
How do I pay duty/GST?
After your import declaration has been assessed Customs and Border Protection will contact you and advise the amount of duty/GST and other charges payable. You will be provided with information about how these costs can be paid. In most instances you can make payments through the mail or by fax.

According to my quick calc you will end up paying $8,190 including duty. If the Melb dealer is saying around 8700 - I'd say that's not bad.

I'm not saying we're getting a fair deal, most times there is an excessive markup - I buy most of my stuff from the B&H, not just becasue of the price - mostly it's convenience & customer service (people like B&H, Kessler, SmallHD are great at that).