LED Video Light for Sony PMW EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LED Video Light for Sony PMW EX1

Hi,
Can anyone of u recommend any LED video light for above Sony EX1?? with 12Vdc supply? Please mention the Brand, Model NO: and price if possible website info/order info. This lighting to be used for wedding reception for one of my friends. Thx.
Pushpanatha de Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

the comer 1800 seems to be the best choice.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Comer 1800 seems a good fit, quite happy with mine. If you've got one of the 3rd party batteries you can run the camera and light from it. The required cable comes with the light and in two lengths.
You can get more info on that light from the lighting forum.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Comer 1800
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

swit

i'm using Swit on camera led light with swit battery what have extra d-tap output for light.
Quiet nice combo and works well for me!

Regards

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow, that seems very unusual for this group to have that much agreement. What was it about that particular light that sold you guys on it. I'm in the market for one as well.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Major Player

studio 1 LED lights ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpanatha de Silva View Post
Hi,
Can anyone of u recommend any LED video light for above Sony EX1?? with 12Vdc supply? Please mention the Brand, Model NO: and price if possible website info/order info. This lighting to be used for wedding reception for one of my friends. Thx.
I have 3 of these LED Video Camera Light - Camcorder Video Lights LED
work like a charm, can be chained together, and have had no problems. One aspect I don't like, but hasn't proven to be a problem, is no direct ac or camera feed to the light. Strickly battery run.
Damn good though.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Comer 1800.

Never had so much light for wedding receptions.

Much better than the Sony equivalent, and the white balance is better too.

Now I just get the shot, and wind up the amount of light I need without it being too obvious!

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Trustee

The comer puts out a tremendous amount of light. Its easily dimmable, It has barn doors so that you can easily vary the amount of diffusion , a flip down tungstun filter, an intensifier lens to spot the light if needed and the output color is pretty decent for an LED. It can run on a sony batt for hours, comes with 2 cables for a 12V power tap, and its very reasonably priced. What's not to like?
Hands down the best and most flexible light in its class. IMHO.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thx Vm

Hi,

Thank u all for ur tremendous effort to give some advice for amature videographer about LED lighting. I think I will go 4 Comer if I can find a better price around..Ur help is much appreciated.
Pushpanatha d' Silva
Pushpanatha de Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Might also think about the next price rung. Nothing, in my opinion, beats the Zylight Z50 and Z90. I have a Z90 and it is really worth the extra money. Choose 3200/5600 temps or dial in your own selection. Color mode for wash or special effects. Solid construction. Nothing against Comer but I think it is always worth considering even spending beyond original intent for greater versatility.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Wow, that seems very unusual for this group to have that much agreement.
And I'd not even heard of the Comer.

However, will put in a big shout for the Dedo 'LEDzilla'. A colleague had one, using it to good effect on a location shoot we were working on together. Mixed lighting scenarios: needed to punch some light into daylight shadows, add a bit of sun in interior shots, a bit of drama in a staged shot, throw a beam of light a long way to pick out a face, and to lift general hotel corridor lighting in a soft and gentle manner.

The LEDzilla dealt with it all. Lens system can throw light from a little tiny package. Diffuser can lift shadows. Dimmer can pull down lighting to match existing stuff. Daylight running, so no filtration and full power for outdoor stuff. Wish I'd bought LEDzilla instead of LitePanels Micro, may have to buy one anyway.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Nothing, in my opinion, beats the Zylight Z50 and Z90. I have a Z90 and it is really worth the extra money. Choose 3200/5600 temps or dial in your own selection. Color mode for wash or special effects. Solid construction.
My opinion too. The Z90 is powerful and bright, flattering to the skin, also has separate green/magenta correction for any chosen temp, radio frequency slave mode, the whole frame is lit evenly (even wide), and pro build. The main problem is it's just priced in another league. I've never used an LED light that puts out light this natural.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

There is a Comer 900 light that uses Sony EX1/EX3 battery.

Comer CM-LEX900 LED Light (Sony EX1/EX3 Battery) | L.A. Color Shop

It is not as bright as the Comer 1800 light but it is smaller and more portable. It also doesn't have a full dimmer. Only 2 level of brightness settings.
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Major Player

The comer 1800 will not work with the ex batteries? Only the 900?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds