DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 + Arri MMB-1 Mattebox Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471504-ex1-arri-mmb-1-mattebox-questions.html)

Steve Kalle January 22nd, 2010 05:13 PM

EX1 + Arri MMB-1 Mattebox Questions

For those with the Arri, I have a few questions because I am planning to buy the MMB-1.

1) I am trying to find a case that holds the MMB-1 mattebox and 3 or more filters. What do you use or do you know of any such cases?

2) Do you use rails? If so, which ones?

3) Is there a case that can hold the MMB-1, 3-5 filters AND rails?

Thanks

Ben Ruffell January 31st, 2010 03:12 PM

I use Storm Cases. Either with padded dividers, or foam cut inserts.

I use the Arri rails, plus baseplate.

I also have a Chrosziel one which is better than the Arri in a couple of ways, but essentially the same.

Measure out the storm case size that you need.

Dave Morrison January 31st, 2010 04:03 PM

Ben, what is it about the Chrosziel more than the Arri....just curious. I'm even considering the Genus, but I'm open to options.

Bruce Schultz January 31st, 2010 07:16 PM

Steve, just a note - be sure to order the EX1-94mm adapter for use with the EX1. I'm happy with mine, I also use it on my Sony F900R with another adapter and can even get it to fit on my Canon 7D. It is a bit heavy but it is built well like all Arri products I've owned over the years.
My only objection to it is that the metal lens shade is outrageously wide with points that protrude out over 6 inches from the side of the matte box. I'm looking for a machine shop in Los Angeles area that can cut these points off cleanly for me (if anyone has a suggestion).

William Graydon January 31st, 2010 08:51 PM

I was just wondering what my options are as far as quality matte boxes in or under the $1000 range?

David C. Williams January 31st, 2010 10:27 PM

Chrosziel CMB-R20 on my EX3 @ $800US. REALLY light, which is nice, 2 4x4 rotating and french flag. It's a clip on, comes with 77 to 110 step which screws onto the lens.

Had it for a year, it great.

Steve Kalle February 1st, 2010 03:10 PM

Bruce, what is the 94mm adapter? I thought the MMB-1 comes with everything needed to use on an EX1 (for $1500, it should).

I have seen the MMB-1 on a 5D MKII at Abel Cine and I thought the sales guy said nothing additional is needed (besides rails) to work on the 5D/7D.

Speaking of rails, Arri states that the MMB-1 does not need rails for the EX1 - is this your experience?

To those with the MMB-1, what rails do you use and why?

Ben Ruffell February 1st, 2010 06:32 PM

The Chrosziel Base is slightly lighter weight. And I got mine cheaper than the Arri one.

I agree, the french flag is crap. It is wide and a pain in the ass to use. I have put a product suggestion/request though to Arri that they make an adaptor so that the flag from the LMB-15 can be used on the MMB-1. It is so much better.

I have both rails and clip on for all my cameras. PDW-700, EX-3, 5D2. I like the option of using rails or not. Usually it's rails everytime - especially as I like to hold them with my left hand when going hand held. Thats the nice thing about the Arri. There are adaptors for everything and you can put it on any lens or camera, now, and into the future.

Michael B. McGee February 2nd, 2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Graydon (Post 1479984)
I was just wondering what my options are as far as quality matte boxes in or under the $1000 range?

are you hijacking this thread? try looking into the RedRock microMattebox: microMattebox

William Graydon February 2nd, 2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1480950)
are you hijacking this thread? try looking into the RedRock microMattebox: microMattebox

Haha no but I figured some experienced Matte Box users would stop by. I checked out the redrockmicro matte box it looks really nice and the deluxe bundle is only $735 Has anyone had any experience with it?

Michael B. McGee February 2nd, 2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Graydon (Post 1480953)
Haha no but I figured some experienced Matte Box users would stop by. I checked out the redrockmicro matte box it looks really nice and the deluxe bundle is only $735 Has anyone had any experience with it?

i see that you're kind of new here. try performing a "search" for whatever you're looking for. chances are whatever you need has already been discussed elsewhere. some people get really annoyed when "newbies" don't take time to search for a commonly discussed subject. i had to learn the hard way myself. see ya around.

-Mike

William Graydon February 2nd, 2010 11:30 PM

fair enough. Thanks for the heads up.

Bruce Schultz February 3rd, 2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1480267)
Bruce, what is the 94mm adapter? I thought the MMB-1 comes with everything needed to use on an EX1 (for $1500, it should).

I have seen the MMB-1 on a 5D MKII at Abel Cine and I thought the sales guy said nothing additional is needed (besides rails) to work on the 5D/7D.

Speaking of rails, Arri states that the MMB-1 does not need rails for the EX1 - is this your experience?

To those with the MMB-1, what rails do you use and why?

The MMB-1 needs that adapter to fit on the EX1/EX3 lens. I bought mine from Abel Cine and I don't think that adapter was extra, but the adapters for my two B4 mount HD lenses were extra $$.

You only need the rods for accessories like follow focus, the matte box is a clip on.

Dave Morrison October 9th, 2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz (Post 1481388)
The MMB-1 needs that adapter to fit on the EX1/EX3 lens. I bought mine from Abel Cine and I don't think that adapter was extra, but the adapters for my two B4 mount HD lenses were extra $$.

You only need the rods for accessories like follow focus, the matte box is a clip on.

<bump>
Hey Bruce. After close to a year with the MMB-1, are you still happy with it? Are the knobs staying tight and everything still functioning well. I have to get off the fence with this purchase and I'm leaning toward the Arri.

Dave

Darren Ruddock October 11th, 2010 05:06 AM

Hi there,

Just my opinion, but the Genus is a superb mattebox for the money. It also came with 3 filters when we purchased!