DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Flicker reduce issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/473169-flicker-reduce-issues.html)

Kent Beeson February 18th, 2010 06:19 PM

Flicker reduce issues

Hi

Shooting 1920x1080 30p...Just wondering best way to eliminate that screen scroll on TV monitors, LCD. Using EX1R, I set flicker reduce to auto and on, no go, then to 60Hz and on, but still flicker...then I played with that ECS mode (in shutter menu), wheeled up and down around 60, still my LCD TV had flicker.

Just curious what options I have given the above attempts. My computer (Dell 24") monitor seems to be flicker free when I use 60Hz, on, in the reduce menu. But not the Samsung 32" TV nor my Apple 23" cinema display.

Thanks
K

Marty Welk February 19th, 2010 06:03 AM

ready to start all over again :-)
check the display properties for the monitor itself first, in the control pannel, and set it for say 60Htz , then go back through.
if that doesnt work, try other settings. some of the flicker could be comming from the CCT (backlight) rate itself, wherein a "slow" shutter might be usefull.
sometimes toning down the brightness can also be helpfull, because your shooting a light emitting item excessive brightness isnt nessisary.

Also remember that (video Card) Sync thing, the thing that when using 3D for like playing games the monitor sync locks the frame change rate.

if all else fails and your getting desperate, switch to 720 and get a descent 60frame rate going instead.

Kent Beeson February 19th, 2010 10:52 AM

Thanks for advice - when I can I will try that, but I'm really interested in trying to find out a better system for reducing, actually, eliminating flicker for when I'm on pro shoots, not just practicing at home. So the ECS mode is of value in this? Wonder what setting is typical for flicker reduce on most monitors?

Eugene J. Kulak February 19th, 2010 11:30 AM

Hi Kent, the following is copied out of the EX-1 manual. My reading is that flicker reduction is for indoor lighting, such as flourescent, which may cause flicker. I don't believe it was meant for monitors. I personally find that success countering screen scrolling is best achieved by matching shutter speed and screen refresh rate, also by using ECS.

Recommended settings for flicker reduction
Frequency
Alway set “Frequency” to the power-supply
frequency value appropriate for the shooting area.
Mode
• It is recommended to set “Mode” to “Off” when
shooting outdoors or under lighting that does
not cause flicker. (It can be also “Auto,” but the
compensation may not be done properly.)
• It is recommended to set “Mode” to “Auto”
when shooting indoors or under various lighting
that may cause flicker, such as fluorescent,
sodium, or mercury-vapor lamps. (If
continuously shooting under lighting that may
cause flicker, “Mode” should be set to “On.”)

Alister Chapman February 19th, 2010 01:39 PM

Flicker Reduce is aimed at those shooting in foreign countries where the mains frequency is different to the frequency the camera is running at, for example a European person shooting 50i in the USA where the mains frequency is 60Hz. In this case you will get severe rolling bands of light when shooting under any form of discharge lighting. If you are shooting in your home region you should turn flicker reduce off as it is know to cause flicker problems in some obscure situations.

The best way to deal with monitor roll is to use the ECS shutter. That's what it is designed for. Even small variations between the cameras shutter speed and the monitors refresh rate can cause a rolling band. The fine adjust available in ECS should allow you to eliminate or at the very least significantly reduce the issue.

Kent Beeson February 19th, 2010 03:39 PM

Thanks for all replies - and yes I read the manual - didn't seem to fully rid myself of the screen roll....outdoors is off, but I'm thinking indoors on AUTO is best (if there's a reason of course). Then if can't get rid of lines, try the ECS.

When I do that I would've thought nearest to 60 is best, but the ECS wheel goes very much higher and lower than that. And when I tried from the 50's to 70's (under ECS rate menu) it didn't seem to make a difference on my Apple 23" nor Samsung 32" LCD TV.

Alister Chapman February 20th, 2010 02:56 AM

Flicker reduce will not reduce monitor flicker, that's not what it does, if anything it will make it worse. Turn it OFF unless you are shooting NTSC (30P 60i) in Europe or Asia or shooting PAL (25P, 50i) in the USA or Japan. It might be flicker reduce that is causing your issues.

ECS is the tool you need to be using, small steps in the speed will make big differences to the amount of roll.

Kent Beeson February 20th, 2010 10:31 AM

Very helpful replies everyone, thank you - I was confused as to Flicker reduce usage...not for monitors but for fluorescents, etc. ECS for monitors.

Thanks