EX1 V's Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Major Player

pardon the analogy but it's a bit like the Hammer vs the Nail. (EX1) Hammer wins.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM   #17
Wrangler

Hmm, having a little trouble with that analogy.... A hammer is a tool; a nail is a piece of hardware.

I think it was Flip Wilson who said, "I'm gonna hit you SO hard, your head is gonna ring like 16 penny nail bein' hit by a greasy ball peen hammer". Now *that* would be the EX1. The Z1 is more like a regular claw hammer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Major Player

I know that many don't like the "balance" of the EX1...

As for myself and several of my colleagues, I'd have to say that all of us were surprised when we got our cameras at how we really didn't seem to see the severity of this issue as many have.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just that it's subjective as to what extent the physical balance under the handle affects the ability to shoot handheld.

Keep in mind that the fact that the zoom handle/pod assembly rotates about 100 degrees forward and that offers a handheld posture that has some advantages over traditional configurations...

Pros and Cons... Each person has a different style.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Major Player

Occasionally I need to hire crews in other locations. I will not hire someone who uses a Z1. I do not think it generates a good image at all. Yes, it was revolutionary at the time, but it does not hold a candle to more modern cameras, EX1, Z5, Z7.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Major Player

The balance of the EX1R?
Well if you use a standard sliding plate like a Monfrotto 501 to place the EX1(R) on a tripod, it is very 'front-heavy'. Using a long sliding plate will give you the room to find the perfect balance for various situations (wide adapter or not, big or small battery, etc, all things that move the center of gravity backward or forward).
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Well what can I say, thank you for all your responses, I know its been a while from my original post, however. I am now the proud owner of an EX1-R. I'm loving it. My wife says its my new girlfriend, well I may pay more attention to the Camera than my wife for now & it certainly does look good.. But, well, you know what I mean.

Cheers and thanks again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds