DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   BP-U60 to AB-TAP (D-TAP) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/476012-bp-u60-ab-tap-d-tap.html)

Axel Donath April 1st, 2010 09:14 AM

BP-U60 to AB-TAP (D-TAP)

Hi,

I am using a Letus Ultimate adaptor with a EX3. At the moment we are powering the adaptor with mignon cells - anoying. Now I saw an adaptor that was just a mount for sony batteries, but with d-tap outlet, so that I could connect the d-tap power cable that came with the letus. Unfortunately the mount thing had no name and now I can't find anything about it on the web.

Can anyone help?

Or...

How can I get d-tap outlet from my ex3 batteries (BP-U60/30)

thx,
Axel

Piotr Wozniacki April 1st, 2010 10:55 AM

You can try this adapter:

http://www.bebob.de/produkte/?product=8612&lang=en

- but it's expensive, and only works with BP-U60.

Much more efficient solution: buy a battery like Switronix, that has its own D-tap socket. Its cheaper versions are also available from ebay (look for U95).

Charles Newcomb April 1st, 2010 11:03 AM

I use the BeBob Coco V-mount adapter. Using full size V-lock batteries gives me the D-tap, and the Coco has four Hirose outputs, as well. I personally think the added weight to the back of the camera also makes it a little easier to deal with when shooting handheld.

ex3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Piotr Wozniacki April 1st, 2010 11:47 AM

Oops - sorry, I was thinking about the EX1. The EX3 version Charles is talking about is here:

BEBOB, COCO-EX3-V, V-Mount Batterie-Adapter for Sony EX3 - bebob.de

Charles Newcomb April 1st, 2010 12:02 PM

That's the one, Piotr. It comes with a Hirose-to-EX3 power tap cable, leaving the D-tap on the battery available. I would recommend ordering an extra cable... you never know when you'll be out in the boonies and accidentally catch the cable on a branch, or something.

David Issko April 1st, 2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel Donath (Post 1508489)
How can I get d-tap outlet from my ex3 batteries (BP-U60/30)

Yes, the Coco Ex adapter. It is very good, small enough and lightweight. If you do invest in one, double check the orientation of the D-Tap plug in the Coco when it is connected to the nano before switching the camera on. It can be connected with reverse polarity, quite possibly causing a non recoverable battery failure. If you are quick enough to switch off or unplug, then wait for a short time and the battery will possibly be ok.

The nano can withstand the incorrect orientation for a short time with out problem, but if the screen does not light up instantly, you have the D-Tap plug in the Coco the wrong way. Just reverse the connection, try the nano. If all is good, then switch on the camera. Do not switch the camera on before the nano.

Sounds scary but it isn't really as long as you are aware of the possible situation.

The BP-U60 will run the camera & nano together for around 3 hours or so.

Cheers.

Bob Grant April 1st, 2010 05:13 PM

Buying a battery with a D-Tap seems the logical solution. I have the BP-U65 available from a number of places including lacolorshop.com. This battery includes a couple of leads with the D-Tape plug which makes it quite a bargain. Just be warned it is BIG.

Andrew Stone April 1st, 2010 05:38 PM

Another solution is to buy a replacement battery that has a D-tap in it. This battery is the same form factor as the Sony BP-U60

S-8U62 Li-ion battery for Sony Ex1& Ex3

There are a number of places that sell them. Nanoflash.net is the one that comes to mind at the moment. They work great. Under $200.

The U95 Swit battery that Piotr mentions is good, in that it has long battery life but many people will find it too long and adds too much weight when hand bombing an EX. I understand this is for a Letus but the battery will be used in a variety of configurations, one of which is handheld.