DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   If you don't have express card adapter, how? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/476484-if-you-dont-have-express-card-adapter-how.html)

Tom Roper April 8th, 2010 06:21 PM

If you don't have express card adapter, how?

I just sold my EX1, more about that. But the buyer doesn't have an express card slot in his iMac. He was asking me if he could download XDCAM from the firewire, if it included that cable in the box and I honestly didn't know how to answer his question. There was a USB cable, component and composite video cables, but for my part I've always just stuck the SxS card into the slot in my laptop. Can someone answer?

(When I bought the new PMW-350K, I had planned on keeping the EX1, it's still a great cam and would mix beautifully, but I couldn't see myself going back to it, and only had one music gig planned for July where I might need multicams. With all the new cams coming out from Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Canon, and NAB next week I just felt it could be a good time to sell it, and it surely was, sold practically within minutes of posting it locally on CL.)

Tuy Le April 8th, 2010 07:13 PM

1. Using the camera as reader with USB cable from camera to USB port on computer (expensive reader).
2. Cheaper solution: buy external Sony reader.

or buy a cheap PC laptop with 34 express card slot for reader and review the clips.

Tom Roper April 8th, 2010 07:24 PM

Thanks Tuy.

John Peterson April 9th, 2010 08:03 AM

He can try an inexpensive USB to Express Card Adapter. This is one of several brands:

John

Marcus Durham April 9th, 2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1512056)
He can try an inexpensive USB to Express Card Adapter. This is one of several brands:

Amazon.com: USB To Expresscard 34MM Adapter Ideal for Wireless Broadband Cards: Electronics

John

That adaptor won't work with SxS cards, only Express cards that use the USB bus like the MxM and MxR SDHC adaptors.

Olof Ekbergh April 9th, 2010 04:15 PM

You can simply hook the camera to the USB 2 port in the mac.

It does not cost anything, the cable comes with the EX cam and the drivers etc are a free download.

Perrone Ford April 9th, 2010 07:20 PM

And if he shoots to SDHC card, he can simply use the SDHC <-> USB adapter and be golden. Cheaper media, cheaper adapter, same workflow.

Tom Roper April 9th, 2010 08:59 PM

Way good advice. Many thanks (to all).

Rob Lagerstrom April 10th, 2010 08:27 AM

Loose USB connection

I bought my EX-1 used with only 18 hours on it. However, the USB connection is already loose. I am concerned about wearing out the USB connector (and also the component connection which feeds my SmallHd Dp-1 monitor) by x-fering all my SXS card footage via USB.

I did buy 2 Hoodman 16 gig cards/adapters so I can use a normal SDHC card reader.

I find it curious that a camera of this quality would have such feeble output connections.

Rob