DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   just ordered Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO; now... which shoulder mount? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/477274-just-ordered-hoodman-ex-1-kit-pro-now-shoulder-mount.html)

Malcolm Hamilton April 20th, 2010 04:58 PM

just ordered Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO; now... which shoulder mount?

Hi all,
(just tried to send this, and it didn't get through; will try again. Sorry if it appears twice)
I just ordered a Hoodman EX-1 KIT PRO, on the advice of many EX-1 users on this forum. Now that I'll be using my camera higher up (so I can peer through this thing and actually focus in bright sunlight), can people who use them kindly recommend the best shoulder-mount system/hardware?
Please steer me away from anything that doesn't work well. I'd like something that allows me to go handheld comfortably, and allows for lots of camera movement. I like to tip my camera sometimes; I would also want to disengage, so I can hold the camera down next to the ground (for a walking shot or whatever).
Need to stay flexible, and not fill up the back of my car with hard-to-transport hardware.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Malcolm

Olof Ekbergh April 20th, 2010 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try my system:
Westside A V Studios WEB Store

If you don't like it I will give you a 100% refund. It is modular and can be used with or without the long brace.

I recommend the Hoodloop for this system.

Garrett Low April 20th, 2010 07:21 PM

I have Olof's extra support plate and shoulder mount for my EX3. I have not tried his system for the EX1(r) but I'm sure it is made with the same care and precision as the EX3 system. Very light, well made and comfortable. A huge improvement.

No matter what I would definitely recommend getting the beefed up tripod plate. It not only helps to reinforce the weakest link to your sticks, it also gives a much better range of mounting locations to balance out the camera's CG.

Garrett

Barry J. Weckesser April 21st, 2010 04:41 AM

Malcolm -

With what you describe that you want to do with your camera during shooting, you cannot go wrong with Olof's system. I have an EX1 with attached Nanoflash and am very happy with his system. I use the HoodLoupe all the time and his system allows you to use it with the most comfort and "natural feel" of any of the other shoulder mount systems out there.

Piotr Wozniacki April 21st, 2010 05:03 AM

I second Barry. Olof's solution is great per se, and can also be mounted as a whole on any other rig (including other shoulder mounts).

So, you cannot go wrong with it!

Malcolm Hamilton April 21st, 2010 06:32 AM

Thanks everyone, for your advice. I've just emailed Olof, and will pursue this off-forum.
It's so great to be able to get help and advice on forums like this. I truly think they're the best thing about the internet.
Regards,
Malcolm

Kyle McConaghy April 22nd, 2010 11:21 AM

Your stuff is very reasonably priced! I will certainly look to you first for a shoulder mount.

Thanks for sharing.

Dean Sensui April 23rd, 2010 04:21 AM

Olof... I was looking at that and am seriously considering it.

Can the end of the shoulder brace be pulled in so that it makes firm contact with the back of the shooter instead of hanging a few inches further behind?

Piotr Wozniacki April 23rd, 2010 05:57 AM

I'm not Olof, but I can tell you the "small" shoulder pad this rig comes with (to which the "long" brace is attached) is enough for most scenarios.

As to the long brace as depicted in Olof's post above, it can easily be bent down so that it doesn't hang behind. You have to consider some place for your winter (thicker) garment, though.

Well, not in Hawaii, perhaps :)

Dean Sensui April 23rd, 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1518361)
You have to consider some place for your winter (thicker) garment, though.

Well, not in Hawaii, perhaps :)

Piotr.... Yep. "Winter clothing" here in Hawaii is a long-sleeved t-shirt. Not much thicker than summer fashions. :-)