DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Colour (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/478797-colour.html)

Ian Thomas May 16th, 2010 08:16 AM

Colour

Hi Sorry if this has been on a older thread, but i need to get a little bit more colour from the ex1 the pp I have now is the one that doug Jenson recomends on the vortex dvds but i want it to match my Z7 which as a little bit more saturation, I can match them in post but would like to get it from camera any help would be welcome

Thanks
Ian

Perrone Ford May 16th, 2010 08:35 AM

There's a sticky right at the top of this section that tells you how to do this. Look for the "real color" or "true color" profile. I have that one loaded but I prefer to shoot much flatter nearly all the time.

Alister Chapman May 16th, 2010 10:42 AM

Raising the Saturation level in the PP matrix settings will increase the amount of colour.

John Peterson May 17th, 2010 07:26 AM

The camera seems to naturally boost the reds. I tend to decrease saturation, not increase it.

John

Perrone Ford May 17th, 2010 08:03 AM

A number of people have spent a lot of their time shooting color charts to come up with a color-accurate profile for the EX1/EX3 cameras. That information is located in the sticky above. Once the camera is color balanced, saturation can be set at whatever level desired without introducing a color cast.

Again, I recommend people take advantage of the information that has been gathered and presented on this topic.

John Peterson May 17th, 2010 11:38 AM

A number of people have spent a lot of their time shooting color charts to come up with a color-accurate profile for the EX1/EX3 cameras. That information is located in the sticky above. Once the camera is color balanced, saturation can be set at whatever level desired without introducing a color cast.

Perrone,

Could you point out which one for him maybe? The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John

Perrone Ford May 17th, 2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1527937)
Perrone,

Could you point out which one for him maybe? The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John

He will know which one because I offered the name of the color profile. And sorry, I am busy right now at work. I cannot search through the thread right now.

John Peterson May 17th, 2010 02:12 PM

Real Color Picture Profiles

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post906156

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post814739

John

Ian Thomas May 17th, 2010 03:00 PM

thankyou all for your help i will check them out
thanks Ian

Zsolt Gordos May 21st, 2010 01:15 AM

[QUOTE= The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John[/QUOTE]

That's right. While the sticky contains crucial information it is entirely useless for being abused by those who have not posted PP-s just added endless discussion, sometimes OT. Who has the time read such an enormous thread?

It would be great to see a sticky containing strictly only PP-s with their description - with no discussion and 2 cents...

Perrone Ford May 21st, 2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 1529512)
That's right. While the sticky contains crucial information it is entirely useless for being abused by those who have not posted PP-s just added endless discussion, sometimes OT. Who has the time read such an enormous thread?

It would be great to see a sticky containing strictly only PP-s with their description - with no discussion and 2 cents...

I've read it. Twice.

Who has the time to read the thread? People who are interested in learning what they can about how to set up these terrific cameras. And many of us were learning and experimenting as we went along and that thread was built.

If you'd like something more succinct, I think we would all welcome someone culling out the pertinent information and starting a new thread with just that.

Let us know when it's ready, ok? ;)

Zsolt Gordos May 22nd, 2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1529584)
I've read it. Twice.

Who has the time to read the thread? People who are interested in learning what they can about how to set up these terrific cameras.

Good to know that you are not really as busy as you described a few posts back so you even managed to read the PP monster thread twice. In the light of this perhaps you will have the time for an elaborate answer to the original question.
The PP thread is full with useless discussion and debate instead of PP-s, description and practicalities. There are such, too. But you really have to suffer all the unnecessary posts while finding them. I rather go out and shoot.

Perrone Ford May 22nd, 2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 1530005)
Good to know that you are not really as busy as you described a few posts back so you even managed to read the PP monster thread twice.

I had more time a while back. The end of fiscal year is rather busy for us so time is limited for me right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 1530005)
In the light of this perhaps you will have the time for an elaborate answer to the original question.
The PP thread is full with useless discussion and debate instead of PP-s, description and practicalities. There are such, too. But you really have to suffer all the unnecessary posts while finding them. I rather go out and shoot.

If I were trying to get cameras to match, I'd get a DSC Chart, shoot it with the Z7, set that as target, and then shoot and adjust the EX1 to get it as close as I could on the waveform/vectorscope. This is essentially how the real color picture profile was built (the one listed in that monster thread) and it's proven effective for me when I needed rich, saturated colors, had no intention of grading in post, and was in complete control of all lighting in room.

I rarely find myself in that scenario, so I took that profile, desaturated it and modified it to fit my needs, and it's what I shoot with nearly all the time now.

Those who choose not to grade footage in post really need to work on the profiles to get something pleasing to them. It's not easy, but it is very effective.

Zsolt Gordos May 22nd, 2010 07:48 AM

To illustrate the problem is not made up by me, I paste here the link of this thread about how others think about the annoying PP monster:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ky-thread.html

Thank God, there were good people who collected most of the PP-s and they are now available.

Perrone Ford May 22nd, 2010 07:57 AM

Terrific. So a dozen people with thoughts of what to do, and yet no one has done it. This could be your shining moment Zsolt!