DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Pmw-ex3/2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/479900-pmw-ex3-2-a.html)

Scott Cantrell June 4th, 2010 12:23 PM

Pmw-ex3/2

Sony has announced that they are now shipping the PMWEX3/2
Changes include the following:

1. The lens hand grip has been changed to the same hand grip as that of the PMW-EX1R, with
improved ergonomics for increased user comfort when used hand-held.
2. The handgrip also incorporates a One-Push Auto Iris button, again similar to the PMW-EX1R,
which the camcorder (PMW-EX3) fully supports.
3. The lens focus ring, which is slideable from the AF/MF position to the Full MF postion, now
includes the easily seen orange painted ring like the PMW-EX1R so that the current
operational position of the focus ring can be easily discerned.
4. The PMW-EX3/2 now includes a promotional 16GB SxS card

The model number on the camcorder itself remains PMW-EX3, as well as on all related
literature and documentation.
Contact your local Authorized Sony XDCAM EX Reseller for pricing and availability or TapeWorks Texas Inc toll free in the US 866-827-3489 for a customized quotation!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Vincent Oliver June 6th, 2010 01:23 AM

Shame Sony didn't also modify the On/Off switch on the camera body, the times I have put my camera away having moved the switch to playback instead of OFF doesn't bear thinking about.

Barry J. Anwender June 6th, 2010 08:24 AM

At this point of the product and market evolution, it is dreadfully sad that Sony didn't provide the EX3/2 with a 50MB/s MPEG option even if it is 4:2:0. It is shameful having to drag around a bunch of barnacles to provide the quality of video and price point that customers are demanding these days.

Dean Harrington June 6th, 2010 05:52 PM

Scott ...

"Sony has announced that they are now shipping the PMWEX3/2 ... "
Is there an announcement or write-up on this new version of the camera? I wonder if the IR contamination has been reduced?

Vincent Oliver June 6th, 2010 11:44 PM

It looks like ithe EX3-2 just has a new lens and that's it.

Andy Wilkinson June 6th, 2010 11:45 PM

Sony EX3/2 Upgraded Model Announcement

Wow - what a lame, ultra low key update.....

I'd love to know if they tweaked the IR response - when people get a chance to test the new and older models side by side I guess we'll find out soon enough on DVinfo.

Vincent, you're not alone with the on/off switch thing I can tell you! I keep meaning to put a little paint in the switches vertical groove so it's a little easier to see it's position (a re-designed switch is what was really needed as many of us EX3 owners know). I was going to use white paint for that - but maybe I'll now use orange and daube it all over the lens ring MF/AF area nice and thick so I can pretend I've got the latest model (this is British humour for those that don't recognise it!) - Actually, I never use autofocus anyway so I always know which position it's in.

Back to reality. EX1/EX1r/EX3 or EX3/2, no matter, they all are still amazing cameras which produce stunning results in the right hands but I'm VERY surprised Sony did not go for a "killer upgrade", especially with Canon's new models about to hit the market.

Vincent Oliver June 6th, 2010 11:56 PM

Good morning Andy, it's nice to know I am not the only one working at 6.50am

I am very happy with my EX3, and yes there is room for improvement on various aspects of the camera, but then most cameras have a minor niggle here and there. I will resist the temptation to open my tin of Dulux, like you I only ever use Manual, with the occasional press of the Auto Focus button when my eyeballs are tired.

I will be getting the new Canon F350 camera in for review in a couple of weeks time, it will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

Have a good day up there in Cambridge.

Andy Wilkinson June 7th, 2010 12:25 AM

Thanks Vincent! Been working ALL WEEKEND (had to get 3 major corporate films to Final Cut this week - just finished!....now the disc making starts).

Back on topic, if they really only changed the lens I guess the body's "rounded bottom/poor/weak tripod mounting area fault" still remains (mine has an aftermarket plate/bracket anyway - forgot which one as I'm so tired!)

Vincent Oliver June 7th, 2010 12:57 AM

After a long session I find having a "Power Nap" for about 20 minutes will set me up for another four hours work.

Make hay while the sun shines.

David Herman June 13th, 2010 04:28 AM

Am I the only one who breathes a sigh of relief when the next update is so marginal that I don't have to start worrying about the lust factor pushing me to start thinking about trading in an already great product, whatever the niggles?

Piotr Wozniacki June 13th, 2010 04:36 AM

You certainly aren't the only one, David...

:)

Bruce Rawlings June 13th, 2010 10:36 AM

I hope they do deals on the EX3 now as they did with the EX1 when the EX1R came out - I would like an EX3. Seems very low profile introduction as not many (1) I can find so far acknowledging the new model.

Brent Hallman June 13th, 2010 11:04 AM

I'm glad that it was a marginal update.... no need to upgrade my EX3 just yet.

The on/off switch and the ND switch are the only problems I have with the EX3... Making those two functions easier to use would have been a good addition to the Ex3/2.

John Poipie June 13th, 2010 05:55 PM

The power-on switch is imo easy to modify by Sony, but the ND-filter switch is a different boy.
If you have seen the mechanical construction of the filters than you will understand.
There are three rond glass filters attached to a very dedicated so called filterwheel.
By moving the selector on side of the lens, a handle is turning the wheel via plastic geared quarter wheel.
The turning is not so typical, it is the way the wheel stops imo.
It has a lot of play and I wonder how long it can last without faillure.
To add a fourth filter to the wheel, will be a hell of a job imo.
I have taken my EX3 apart, so I know.

Brent Hallman June 14th, 2010 08:18 AM

John, were you able to put the ex3 back together after taking it apart? ;)