DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Tiffen T1 - I am impressed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/480035-tiffen-t1-i-am-impressed.html)

Peter Rixner June 7th, 2010 11:03 AM

Tiffen T1 - I am impressed

Hello,

today I got a Tiffen T1 4x4 for use with the ex1 after I've shot on stage and got a completely brown background :(

That, of course, should have been a black backdrop.
Suprisingly the customer didn't care :)

Today, I did a testsetup and that thing simply solves the problem. Incredible.
Why isn't Sony including that in the camera.

And what I wonder now:
As the filter was pretty expensive, will there be use of it on other or future cameras ?
Or do You think next generation will have that problem solved anyway.

Thanks!

Peter

John Peterson June 7th, 2010 06:07 PM

I am undecided whether to try that filter on my EX1 (weekend after next) for a Dance Recital I have to shoot. Another poster seemed to feel that it would impart a green caste to the footage that is impossible to remove.

Did you experience that for the stage production you shot with the filter?

Thanks,

John

Leonard Levy June 7th, 2010 07:57 PM

The T1 is slightly green but the idea is to white balance through it then it goes away. I haven't tried using preset then moving it a little to the magenta but that probably will also work.

A Schneider 486 filter will leave you with a slight green vignette that is very hard if not impossible to get rid of but T1 will be fine if you correct for it. Its not brain surgery .

There is also another Schneider but I haven't tried it. The T1 should work fine for you though and I wouldn't shoot without it against a black cloth backdrop or a dance scene with black costumes.

Andrew Stone June 7th, 2010 10:56 PM

Given that you got a 4x4 mattebox filter, you will probably get more use out of the IR filter than most who are buying the screw on filter. CMOS chips aren't going away for a few years at least.

Robert McGowan June 7th, 2010 11:17 PM

I first used the IR filter on one of my EX1s a few weeks ago. It made a significant difference. I actually purchased a second one today for my other camera. I wouldn't shoot without it. I haven't had a problem with any green color whatsoever. I do a lot of white balancing.

Jon Essex June 8th, 2010 01:01 AM

I also use the T1 filter on my EX3. I have spent ages matching the images to another camera by setting up a picture profile. I'm pretty sure I had to add alot of red to get them to match. Now if I white balance the two cameras at the same time they look quite close. I prefer to dial in my white setting, B&W viewfinders is where I started, but I have found the EX3 very hard to match the other camera. I also must mention that one is a DSR and the other an EX3. Very different cameras I know but we use what is available on each shoot etc.

Peter Rixner June 8th, 2010 03:54 AM

Yes, It's getting pretty green with the filter, but that something TIFFEN officially says. They recommend to do a white balance when inserting the filter. But I can handle that with no effort. :)

There is something new I am wondering and asking for Your ideas, please:

I would prefer to have a Tungsten and a Daylight-Picture Profile. As I prefer to shoot in that traditional way.
I guess it's not the same thing to do a white balance (which gives me a kelvin numer) as to dial in the same number manually in the picture profile. Right ?

I would like to have 2 addional picture profiles like: Tungsten + T1 and Daylight + T1 to quickly change setting on set.

Is there any way to get the Auto-White-Balance Values into the picture profile settings ?

Thanks!

Peter, the happy T1 user :)

Paul Cascio June 8th, 2010 06:06 AM

Would you suggest leaving this filter on all the time? Does the screw-in model work with the lens hood?

Mark Savage June 8th, 2010 07:32 AM

The screw-in model works with the lens hood.

Personally, I don't leave it on all the time because I use other types of filtration; it's too much piling a polar or grad on top of the T1 because you're cutting down on light entry.

I've never had the green cast because I always W/B once it's on.

Peter Rixner June 8th, 2010 07:45 AM

As I am using a M2e-Adapter with a Chrosziel Mattebox, I have 4x4 and 4x5.65 filters only. That results in a workflow of ofter changing and mixing various filters. Especially NDs.
So leaving it on is not really an option for my workflow.

But if You are doing event shooting and do white balancing all the time anyway, so why not leaving it on. Maybe I would do that.

Still I am interested in ideas for fixed correction-picture profiles.

Thanks!

Peter

Alan McInnes June 8th, 2010 01:51 PM

I just got the Tiffen filtre and what a difference it makes. I was getting really tired of seeing a row of what was supposed to be black suits looking like a range of brown shades. I bought the screw-on filtre and I will be leaving it on for all my shooting.

Darren Ruddock June 8th, 2010 03:16 PM

Hi,

Couple of questions...

I already have the screw in version of the T1 but does anyone know where to purchase the 4x4 version?? I can't seem to find it!

We have also just bought the Genus mattebox for our EX1. I'm new to the world of filters so whats it like working with filters and the T1? I presume the T1 is first filter in place?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I'd like you guys to bestow some of your mighty knowledge!!

Many thanks!

Andrew Stone June 8th, 2010 08:29 PM

Darren,

Try phoning Tiffen. Here you go...

Tiffen International Ltd. Europe (Tiffen Filters, Steadicam Systems, Lowel, Dfx Software, Domke)
Unit 5, Avonbury Business Park
Howes Lane
Bicester OX26 2UA, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 870 100 1220
Fax: +44 (0) 186 932 1766
email@tiffeninternational.com

or you can order from B&H in the US of A:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664641-REG/Tiffen_W44IR_T1_Infrared_Filter_4.html

Bruce Rawlings June 8th, 2010 11:06 PM

VideoGear in the UK have always supplied my Tiffin needs superbly.

Vincent Oliver June 8th, 2010 11:45 PM

When watching the TV it's surprising how many times you can see the IR problem cropping up. The problem is that I never know what the program is all about, I am just looking at the IR contamination. Of course I could be wrong and a lot of presenters are just wearing weird coloured suits.

I too have a Tiffen filter, but have not needed to use it yet - maybe next week I will.