DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-3 Temp. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482195-ex-3-temp.html)

Arbel Rom July 21st, 2010 06:54 AM

EX-3 Temp.

I am shooting an interview project.
Each interview is 2-4 hours long.
During the long interviews, my EX-3 main body, around the sensor erea feels very hot. (I might estimate 40-50 celcius at least)
Is this normal???

Olof Ekbergh July 21st, 2010 07:07 AM

My EX3 and EX1R's gets quite hot at times. It has never been a problem.

A few times I have left it on when putting it in its runbag (by mistake, long days), it then gets very hot. It has scared me a few times. But there appears to be no ill effects from my abuse.

I think there are thermal protectors built in, that will shut the camera down if overheating takes place.

I was just down in Arkansas and shot outdoor interviews with cameras left on 6 hrs or more at a time, recording most of the time. It was 102 F (38 C) in the shade and humidity was in the 90's. No problems whatsoever.

These are rugged cameras. They perform better than me in the heat.

Arbel Rom July 21st, 2010 07:21 AM

I shoot mainly indoors, but now in the Israeli summer,
with tungsten lights all around, and the A/C turned off for better sound,
it can get quite hot....

Hope it's really no problem...

Charles Newcomb July 21st, 2010 02:09 PM

I left my EX3 on in the bag once. When I got home, it was really hot. I apologized to it and told it I'd never do that again. I've kept my promise... I check the viewfinder ever time it goes in the bag to make sure it's not on, because you can't trust the switch. No issues yet, thank goodness.

Kevin Spahr July 21st, 2010 03:26 PM

I hate when that happens!
I like my SWIT battery because I can pull the power plug going into the camera before I put it in the bag. I have been sure that I turned the camera off before bagging it, only to find it was on when I pull it out later. Maybe there are gremlins in these bags turning it back on...

David Issko July 23rd, 2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb (Post 1550860)
I left my EX3 on in the bag once. When I got home, it was really hot. I apologized to it and told it I'd never do that again.

Hey Charles,
Did your EX3 forgive you after such a heartfelt apology? The way you put it, I would have forgiven you.

I recall doing that once or twice in the past. In fact it's happened to me with probably all of my cameras at least once in the past, but not yet with my PMW-350, hehehehe.

Cheers!!!!

Charles Newcomb July 23rd, 2010 06:33 PM

It seems to have forgiven me and I have kept my word. Of course, I was so traumatized by reaching into that bag and feeling that hot camera, that's it's unlikely it will ever happen again.