DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Idiot proof workflow and others (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/482910-idiot-proof-workflow-others.html)

Pietro Jona August 5th, 2010 05:24 AM

Idiot proof workflow and others

Hi all,

I'm going to leave soon for a one month scouting/shooting trip with my ex1, that I bought from a friend some months ago but never really used and tested deeply.
I'm trying to organize myself for a simple and idiot proof workflow for organizing and storing clips.
I have a 15.4" i7 Macbook Pro and two 7200 RPM 500 G firewire 800 Lacie Rugged drives (sufficient backed up storage for something like 30 hours) and some 400 G free in my laptop, and Can buy more HDs where I'm going.
This is what I think I'll be doing:
-Download clips to my laptop using XDCAM Transfer. Clips are saved in users/video/Sony XDCAM Transfer/Untitled
-Give a name to the Untitled folder (date, location, whatever) and move it to both external Hard drives. I'm thinking to give drives the same name so that one is going to be the exact copy of the other.
-Import all the clips from one of the drives into FCP and start reviewing the footage.

The first problem that comes to my mind is that if I want to give clips a name in Final cut pro the name will be changed only in the drive that i'll be using and not to the back up copy. Solutions?
I'm going to need to transcript/translate dialogues and interviews. I'm tempted to go with markers, so I can write the text as a comment and save the timecode. I can export "marker list as text" from every clip I need and open the text file with excel. Do you think that setting the timecode to clock might help? I know that this question has nothing to do with the first one but in the end it all comes to the workflow that I'll be using from day one.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions

pietro

Olof Ekbergh August 5th, 2010 06:36 AM

I would make a copy of the BPAV folder on one disc and do the rewrap to .mov on another. That way you have 2 copies. One to work on and a copy of the BPAV folder.

Copy the BPAV's first. If you have any clips that spanned both SxS cards, these will then be much easier to deal with. Then do the rewrap using the HD copies of the BPAVs.

I like to use TOD for TC it does help.

You can also customize the names of the clips on the cards in the EX1 menus. You could use that to identify the day location camera etc.

FCP is a great way of previewing and organizing your clips. I do that and then keep the FCP project with the .movs folder. You can have separate folders for each BPAV or all the files from one day/project can go in one folder, it is up to you how to organize, just be consistent. I am talking about the .movs here not the BPAVs they have to each be in its own folder (create a file structure for those on the BPAV HD). Don't rename or move any of the content of the BPAV

The Nexto is also a great device for field use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635400-REG/Nexto_DI_NVS2500500_Nexto_Video_Pro_Storage.html
I am sure you will do just fine. It is great that you are pre planning. Bring as many SxS cards as you can afford, so you avoid having to do transfers during the shoot.

In the field I like to have 3 copies on different drives. I fedex one of them back to the studio as they are filled or send them back with courier. So I don't have to worry about loosing all the footage in the field or lost in hotel or while traveling.

Good luck.

Pietro Jona August 5th, 2010 06:59 AM

Hi Olof.
I guess that TOD is Time Of the Day, that is to say Clock in the time code setting of the menu?
Is there a reason for having both BPAV and .MOV files even if I'm sure that My footage is going to be edited in a mac environment? Wouldn't be in this case be the same to have two identical copies of .MOV files in two different drives?
As for customizing the names of the clips in camera, I'm going to change every day/situation the 4digit of them through the camera/clip menu. I was refering more to giving every clip a name like "x walks downtown" or "y milks the sheep".
I have 2 32g and one8 gSxS cards, more than enough for a day's shoot. I know that using the camera as a reader is relatively slow but right now I can't spend more money in gadgets like the Nexto (and the 17" Macbook Pro was too large to carry around)!
Thanks a lot

pietro

Olof Ekbergh August 5th, 2010 07:15 AM

Yes TOD is time of day.

The BPAV or not to BPAV is a discussion I have had a lot.

You can find long threads on this forum about that subject. Here is a recent one:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...pav-files.html

Until you have established exactly how you are going to work, archive and share files with other users (PC users cant readily use the .movs). I would absolutely keep the BPAVs.

In order to combine spanned clips you really have to copy the BPAV's anyway, so why not use one HD for that. And another one or two for .movs.

When you get back to your edit suite you can then decide on what to do as far as archiving goes. BPAV's take up the same amount of room as the .movs folders.

Pietro Jona August 5th, 2010 07:19 AM

It makes sense, I agree.

Brett Sherman August 9th, 2010 07:55 AM

If you use the Log and Transfer tool rather than XDCAM transfer you can have it append the date to the file name when you import automatically. Also I never add notes or identifiers to the file name I find it makes file management messy. Rather I'd use the Master Comment field in FCP to add notes. There are plenty of fields you can use in FCP to make your notes. I personally don't store the BPAVs just cause they take up so much space for little benefit. Just my 2 cents.

Also you might want to think about the G-Tech G Mini as it can be buss powered and you don't need to lug a power supply with you. For final editing you can transfer it to a 7200 RPM drive once your return from your trip.