DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Someone needs my EX! footage for FCP. Need help. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/484062-someone-needs-my-ex-footage-fcp-need-help.html)

John Peterson August 30th, 2010 06:42 PM

Someone needs my EX! footage for FCP. Need help.

I edit using Sony Vegas on a PC, but someone in California who uses FCP asked me for some EX1 footage I shot and I am not sure how to send it to her.

The BPAV folder is around 22GB and I have it stored on my hard drive. How can I get the footage to her for her to edit in FCP?

Thanks for the help.

John

Craig Seeman August 30th, 2010 08:07 PM

Burn BPAV onto Blu-ray data disc and ship overnight. That assumes person has a Blu-ray drive.

Otherwise put BPAV onto an external hard drive and ship overnight.
Macs can read both FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives although they can only write to FAT32 without additional utility but that's shouldn't be important.

Craig Seeman August 30th, 2010 08:11 PM

Use ClipBrowser to split BPAV into sizes that will fit into DVD-R data discs. ClipBrowser has a function that does this. Use good Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs. You'll need a bunch depending on how they're split but I trust this more than hard drives personally.

Dean Harrington August 30th, 2010 11:57 PM

uploading ...

Get a storage site that will allow you to upload and then, have her download from there! Or use DropDMG and make 4 gig segments and burn and send on regular DVDs if you don't have blue-ray.

Perrone Ford August 31st, 2010 12:31 AM

Or go buy the cheapest SDHC 32GB card you can and send on that. Lot's of ways around this problem.

Dean Sensui August 31st, 2010 12:38 AM

Get a compact Firewire drive from Other World Computing or a G-Drive and put the footage on that.

She can send you the drive back after the footage is transferred. I do this when collaborating with other editors. Faster than burning discs. And I use the same drives for field work, too.

Dean Sensui August 31st, 2010 12:41 AM

Come to think of it, Perrone's idea is better.

SDHC is almost bulletproof. And you can just stick it in an envelope. Cheaper than boxing up any kind of HDD.

And if you get a good SDHC card, you can use it in your EX1 with the MxM or MxR adapters.

Perrone Ford August 31st, 2010 03:18 AM

The nice thing about the SDHC... if they don't send it back... well ok. If I sent someone a g-drive and didn't get it back I'd be PISSED!

Craig Seeman August 31st, 2010 05:15 AM

32GB SDHC cards ranging from around $70 for bargain basement to just over $200 for something you'd trust in an EX camera. A cheap external hard drive can come in at less that a cheap SDHC card. Then again shipping an SDHC card is going to be less.

I'd love to FTP files that size if only clients had the bandwidth and services handled things larger than 2GB chunks.

John Peterson August 31st, 2010 06:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

Since this is a "favor" at my own expense and she doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive I think I will split it into multiple 4GB files and send it on a stack of DVD-R discs. I'll check out DropDMG as Dean H suggested first.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

EDIT: It appears that DropDMG only works on a MAC so that's out. I have a PC and she has the MAC.

John Peterson September 1st, 2010 05:39 AM

It turns out that she only needs the footage for a web video.

Is there a format I can convert it to using Clip Browser that would be smaller and that she could use in FCP to make her web video? I also have Sorenson Squeeze and Procoder 3.

Thanks,

John

Craig Seeman September 1st, 2010 06:19 AM

Personally I think 35mbps is very small.
Without guidelines from her, anything smaller could become a major headache depending on what she's using to edit it. I don't consider "the web" as something that justifies taking something through another round of heavy compression. These days YouTube offers up to 1080p and Vimeo 720p.

Craig Seeman September 1st, 2010 06:23 AM

Please re-read my post August 30th, 2010 10:11 PM. Please re-read Sony's info about ClipBrowser. It can split BPAV sized for various disc formats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1564547)
Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

Since this is a "favor" at my own expense and she doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive I think I will split it into multiple 4GB files and send it on a stack of DVD-R discs. I'll check out DropDMG as Dean H suggested first.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

EDIT: It appears that DropDMG only works on a MAC so that's out. I have a PC and she has the MAC.

John Peterson September 1st, 2010 07:23 AM

Thanks Craig,

She just sent me an upload link to her boyfriend's website. Not sure if it will accept a 22GB file.

The problem I have is that I don't use FCP or a MAC and know nothing about them. She doesn't need the entire BPAV folder. Only about 3/4 of it has what she wants. So this can be made smaller.
I can load the BPAV folder into Clip Browser and pick out what she wants in the folder, but then what do I convert it to that will open in FCP on her MAC?

John

Perrone Ford September 1st, 2010 07:28 AM

I haven't done this before, so I am just going through my ClipBrowser.

Open your BPAV in ClipBrowser > Clip > Split Folder > Select option > Start.

Looks pretty straightforward.