DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony Ex3 Do I need a filter ? If yes Which one? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/490302-sony-ex3-do-i-need-filter-if-yes-one.html)

Brent Kaplan January 17th, 2011 04:53 PM

Sony Ex3 Do I need a filter ? If yes Which one?

I have read about needing a filter and have seen some say get ones like the tiffen or the BW but I'm confused and dont want to spend a fortune on a filter. Please advise.

Thank you

BK

Brent Hallman January 17th, 2011 05:06 PM

What filters are you talking about?

UV/ND/polarizer?

I always have a UV filter attached to my lens, unless I need another kind of filter for a particular shot.

The UV filter blocks out haze and is a nice way to protect your lens from getting scratched.

I have B+W filters and have no complaints with them.

Vincent Oliver January 17th, 2011 05:26 PM

I assume you are thinking about the dreaded infra red problem. The answer is yes, it will turn blacks black rather than muddy brown. A lot has been written about this on these forums. I use the Tiffen IR filter and it has saved the day on several shoots.

Brent Hallman January 17th, 2011 07:03 PM

Yes, the IR filter is definitely a good thing to have in the bag.

I use the B+W IR filter...no complaints on this filter either.

I don't use this filter much, but it is a great filter to have in the bag when blacks are looking brown.

Alister Chapman January 18th, 2011 02:08 AM

I'd use the Tiffen T1. It's purpose designed for the job of removing IR on an EX1 or EX3 with as little impact on everything else as possible.

Garrett Low January 18th, 2011 02:19 AM

I use the B+W 486. Stays on all the time.

-Garrett

Anthony McErlean January 18th, 2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1608611)
I use the B+W 486. Stays on all the time.

-Garrett

Same here and I keep it on all of the time.

Alister Chapman January 18th, 2011 07:24 AM

The 486 is an interference filter and like all interference filters this causes problems at wide angles with a distinct tint appearing in the corners of the image, appearing as a slight cyan vignette. It's much harder to cleanly remove a corner tint than the slight overall colour shift that the T1 introduces.

Brent Hallman January 18th, 2011 11:11 AM

Yes Alister, that is exactly why I don't keep it on all of the time... only when I need it. I like my wide angles to be as clean as possible!

Anthony McErlean January 18th, 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hallman (Post 1608701)
Yes Alister, that is exactly why I don't keep it on all of the time... only when I need it. I like my wide angles to be as clean as possible!

I suppose it does depend on what your recording but I record weddings and I have to keep it on all the time.
What would happen if say for instance, the bridesmaids dresses were black and I hadn't the filter attached.

That's just one example.

Alister Chapman January 18th, 2011 02:53 PM

If you white balance through the T1 the very slight colour tint disappears.

Dave Morrison January 18th, 2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1608736)
I suppose it does depend on what your recording but I record weddings and I have to keep it on all the time.
What would happen if say for instance, the bridesmaids dresses were black and I hadn't the filter attached.

That's just one example.

Well, it will depend on what fabric those dresses are made of, but I take your point.

Brent Hallman January 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

That's just one example.

That is the whole point... in that case you have determined that you need the filter attached. I don't do a tonne of live events so my shots are mostly controlled and I can use the filter when I need to.

Excellent filter to have at your disposal though.

Vincent Oliver January 19th, 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

That's just one example.

What kind of weddings do you shoot?

Never heard of a bridesmaid wearing a black dress, maybe if they are then it would be better to leave the filter off :-)

Anthony McErlean January 19th, 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1609071)
What kind of weddings do you shoot?

Never heard of a bridesmaid wearing a black dress, maybe if they are then it would be better to leave the filter off :-)

Hi, Vincent, I shoot whatever the wedding turns out to be, I too would have thought, not black for a bridesmaid dress, but I can tell you this the dresses and the bridesmaids were beautiful.

I've recorded two weddings (as far as I can remember) when the bridesmaids wore black dresses.