DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Motorized pan head for timelapse? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/499775-motorized-pan-head-timelapse.html)

Derek Reich August 19th, 2011 04:54 PM

Motorized pan head for timelapse?

Does anyone have any experience with a decent motorized programmable pan head?
I will be doing some timelapse work with my EX3 and would love for one series to have a pan involved, but would need something with very slow speed so when the timelapse is played the pan will look normal speed. Ideally, I'd like something I can program the speed to a very slow crawl much like the clock drive in a good telescope. I need to be able to mount this on a normal tripod, and it needs to be able to hold about 20lbs or so. (the EX will be mounted with V-mount batteries, and a very large (and heavy) wide angle adapter. Renting would be preferred if possible. I've found some options, but they don't seem to be able to handle the weight....
Anyone have any advice?

Olof Ekbergh August 20th, 2011 07:01 AM

Re: Motorized pan head for timelapse?

I can rig up a very sturdy manual/programmable pan head for you, and I could do it as a rental if you like.

Contact me direct.

Giroud Francois August 20th, 2011 09:34 AM

lots of people use a very popular and cheap telescope mount.
Orion Telescopes: Orion TeleTrack GoTo Altazimuth Telescope Mount

depending models you can program from remote control or PC several point.
Some even modified the motors, programming or some other parts to adapt cameras or DSLRs.

Derek Reich August 20th, 2011 05:57 PM

Thanks Olof, Giroud-
Both good ideas, but not exactly what I'm looking for. (the telescope drive is pretty close, but the weight limit is too low)
I think the Kessler turntable might work, but still trying to find some more information and rental options on it.
I'm open to anyone else who has any ideas, but this has to be able to handle the weight of the EX.

Giroud Francois August 20th, 2011 06:23 PM

lot of people also use the MEADE head, because it was made popular by Milapse.
The are some hacks for this head
MILAPSES! They're back! - Telescope Warehouse

some people use it with an EX1.
If the mount is properly balanced, even the weakest mount is ok for an EX1, since movement are very slow and almost no inertia is involved.

Giroud Francois August 20th, 2011 06:27 PM

also OpenMoCo is a nice ressource for all about controlling cameras, they have a lot of ressource for timelapse and the MEADE head.

Derek Reich August 21st, 2011 06:18 AM

Thanks for the additional tips, Giroud-
I'll look into these.... seems like a possibility. Ironically, I have an old Celestron 8" telescope with drive, and briefly considered somehow modifying the mount to handle the EX, but there was no logical way to get the EX to fit on this one, at least not in the short amount of time I have available to pull this off! Plus, the tripod is pretty bulky and no reasonable adjustment for height.
I appreciate you help-
cheers

Alister Chapman August 21st, 2011 06:37 PM

I use the Teletrack and it's just fine with the EX1. Great for really slow pans etc.

Robert Turchick August 21st, 2011 07:01 PM

Dont know if this would work but I'll throw it out there...I have a Kessler Revolution Head with the Oracle controller. It can go really slow...and could certainly handle the weight. Don't know if it goes slow enough and it is on the pricey side. It's programmable and does both pan and tilt.