DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Updating from EX1 but what a great cam! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/508234-updating-ex1-but-what-great-cam.html)

Jamie Roberts June 2nd, 2012 10:27 PM

Updating from EX1 but what a great cam!

Hi all,

I have been using a EX1 for the past four years professionally largely making video education resources. I am excited by the the new FS700 and plan to buy one in the next few months which will become my 'A' camera (keeping the EX1 as my 'B')

I have done a hell of a lot of work with this camera (using alternative SS cards) and have to say that the EX1 has been a fantastic work horse. After a couple of storage issues were sorted with a firmware upgrade a few years back I was able to do myself, I have nothing but great things to say about these cams. Reliable, footage that looks first class (except when I bugger it up!), and easy to use particularly in hand held situations tucked up under the chin.

I think I have learnt how to be a decent camera operator with the EX1, and for that will be eternally grateful!

Cheers

Jamie

Richard Cavell June 3rd, 2012 01:01 AM

Re: Updating from EX1 but what a great cam!

Jamie,

I have to work in low-light and poor-lighting environments a lot - I don't really have a choice about it.

The EX1R certainly does a better job than most cheaper cameras, but the output still has significant issues. With gain turned up I get noise. In low light I get vignetting, in fluorescent light I get flickering and banding.

Has this been your experience?

If we're ever going to move to another camera, one that will handle low-lighting and poor-lighting will be our primary concern.

Richard

Alister Chapman June 3rd, 2012 01:33 AM

You'll get flicker from cruddy fluorescent lights with any camera, CCD is better than CMOS but not by much. More noise when you turn up the gain, what do you expect?

Don't blame the camera for duff lighting. Sure the new big sensor cameras have an advantage in low light because of the bigger pixels, but that comes at the expense of ease of use.

Jamie Roberts June 3rd, 2012 04:21 AM

Hi Richard,

I don't think anything I've produced using the EX1 has been with more than 6db - 9db gain in trying to keep noise minimal.

That I'm reading that the FS100 (and I assume the FS700) are almost noise free at high gain is to me amazing especially when you look at the price of them (Both less than what I paid for the EX1).

I guess for me an occasional little bit of noise has just been part of life, and most importantly I've never had a client express disappointment in the quality of a final production (and yes, they do get me back to do other projects!). With the help of the EX1 I am now in a position where I have built up a thriving small business with more work than I can handle which I hope suggests that what I've been able to produce with this camera holds its own compared to other professional video producers around.

Its also worth mentioning that I have also have put together enough lighting options in my kit that I can set some lighting up pretty quickly without mains power if necessary which helps especially in interview situations.

I remember when I upgraded from a FX1 to the EX1, I was so excited by the difference in footage quality. I look back at the work I was paid to produce using the FX1 and feel a bit embarrassed but I think that had as much to do with my skills then as the camera. The EX1 has been a fantastic camera for me to develop my skills on and after four years, I'm buying something else not because what the EX1 produces isnt up to scratch, but there have been some pretty incredible developments in what I can buy for under $10000 and am keen to get my hands on one! The EX1 will definitely be staying in the kit!

Cheers

Jamie

Cees van Kempen June 6th, 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1736378)
Hi all,

I have been using a EX1 for the past four years professionally largely making video education resources. I am excited by the the new FS700 and plan to buy one in the next few months which will become my 'A' camera (keeping the EX1 as my 'B')

Could the FS700 be considered as an A camera compared to the EX1/3, supposed you are in both cases using an external recording device (nanoflash in my case)? I trully believe the FS700 will be cleaner, but will this 1 chip camera in general be better or at least as good as the 3 chip EX1/3? Does anybody of the early (preproduction) testers have an opinion on this?

Alister Chapman June 6th, 2012 03:01 PM

Under like for like lighting, with like for like apertures the FS700 would come out with less noise than an EX1.

Cees van Kempen June 7th, 2012 01:20 AM

But noise is only one thing. I know my EX3 is quite noisy, but overall it is a great cam. The question is if the FS700 will be as good if you judge the 'complete' picture.

Jamie Roberts June 7th, 2012 04:39 AM

After reading Alisters review of the FS700, I have actually gone and ordered a FS100 as I didn't realise the 4K option was something that will be unlocked down the track (possibly at an additional cost).

For the work that I do, and the price I could get a FS100PK for, I have opted to wait and see what happens with the FS700 and go ahead and get the FS100. For the price difference i can get it now (before June 30) and spend some money on a nice lens to use with it.

So time will tell whether the FS100 becomes the new 'A' camera or whether i continue to use the EX1 as my main cam while I learn to use the FS100.

I will be watching with interest to see what happens with the FS700 though as a potential purchase for 2013!

Cheers, Jamie

Alister Chapman June 7th, 2012 05:12 AM

Your probably really, really going to miss ND filters with the FS100. Make sure you get a decent variND or a good set of ND filters.

Jamie Roberts June 7th, 2012 06:31 AM

I have a set for my matte box but think i will get a decent variND as well

Alister Chapman June 7th, 2012 11:06 AM

You'll need screw on if you using the majority of DSLR lenses or the kit lens as the lens will extend and retract depending on focal length which is a complete PITA with a matte box.

Jamie Roberts June 7th, 2012 04:14 PM

The mattebox I have is a latch on type after screwing a flange onto the lens.

Is there a good quality zoom lens on the market that doesn't extend/retract?

Apologies about the off EX topic questions!

Cheers, Jamie

Gints Klimanis June 7th, 2012 06:55 PM

Jamie, which Matte Box?

Jamie Roberts June 7th, 2012 08:09 PM

I bought it few years back from DVCity (Indian crowd)

Luc De Wandel June 8th, 2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1737175)

Is there a good quality zoom lens on the market that doesn't extend/retract?

Many good zoom lenses do not extend/retract. The Canon 70-200 L-series, for instance.