DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Weird EX3 Focus issue Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511131-weird-ex3-focus-issue-help.html)

Brent Kaplan October 3rd, 2012 12:35 AM

Weird EX3 Focus issue Help

I shot some reporter stand ups on a mono pod with the steady shot on, I zoomed in each take focused sharp and used expanded focus to check and then rolled, everything looked sharp in the viewfinder but only the reporter looks soft everything else is sharp? I never had this issue before any ideas.
Help
Thanks

Jack Zhang October 3rd, 2012 12:41 AM

Re: Weird EX3 Focus issue Help

How close were you to the reporter? If you were less than 2.7 feet from the reporter (on the stock lens) you're too close. Hence, why the reporter was out of focus.

You can also have peaking adjusted too high to give the illusion of sharpness where there is none. May want to turn down peaking in that case.

Alister Chapman October 3rd, 2012 04:42 AM

Your back focus is probably out. This will cause a shift of your focus point between wide and telephoto, so zooming in to focus and then zooming out will throw off your focus.

There is a back focus/flange back routine in the lens section of the menu for the EX3. Place the camera about 4m/15ft square on from a brick wall or other flat but textured or detailed surface (wall paper, focus start chart) and perform the FB routine.

It's not uncommon for the back focus to go out of calibration if the camera gets bumped around or knocked.

Brent Kaplan October 3rd, 2012 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I reset the back focus this morning, but haven't been able to test it. Here is a screen grab from the shoot.

Robin Probyn October 3rd, 2012 07:32 PM

Maybe not back focus .. as in that case everything would soft.. as Jack mentioned it does look like your reporter is too close for minimum focus.. although its very wide angle with a small chip so Im surprised the focus didnt hold .. but thats what it looks like.. can you test a similar setup hand held and just lean back and forwards and see if you can get focus.. ?

Chuck Fishbein October 13th, 2012 12:26 PM

This is either a back focus (which you might have to reset several times to get it right) or the lens was positioned in autofocus mode and when it saw all those beautiful contrasty line lines in the background, it focused there.

Vincent Oliver October 16th, 2012 03:17 AM

The other thing you should check, is the lens lock. I managed to move this by simply putting the camera in my case and I couldn't work out why the camera was not focusing properly. Fortunately I did check the lens tightness and cured the problem. Although the locking lever had only moved up a fraction it was enough to put the focusing out.

Just a thought

Just downloaded your image, it looks like the fccus has jumped onto the background, were you using AutoFocus?