DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1R Workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511402-ex1r-workflow.html)

Oliver Darden October 15th, 2012 12:18 PM

EX1R Workflow

Just switched from an XH-A1 to an EX1R and I needed some advice on the workflow. This is my first time working with XDCAM footage so any help is appreciated.

Should I convert the footage to ProRes 442 to work with in FCP 7? I read that I can just use the XDCAM Transfer program to convert the native EX .mp4 files into a format that FCP can use for editing.

Thanks

Les Wilson October 15th, 2012 12:36 PM

Re: EX1R Workflow

There's a plugin for FCP 7 that lets you import clips directly from the BPAV folder into the FCP capture folder as a .mov.

Sony published a paper on workflow:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Les Wilson October 15th, 2012 12:38 PM

Also, I made the same transition a couple years ago. Vortex Media has a great DVD for learning the EX1R that includes workflow.

Oliver Darden October 15th, 2012 12:57 PM

Thanks Les.

So once I import the clips directly into FCP using the plug-in I can either edit with them natively or I can use compressor to convert them to ProRes?

Which do you recommend?

Kevin Lewis October 15th, 2012 01:28 PM

Oliver, How to you like the ex1 compared tot he XHA1? I have the XHA1 and i'm thinking about replacing it with an EX3 which is basically the same is the EX1 from what I understand.

Oliver Darden October 15th, 2012 01:31 PM

Kevin, so far for me the EX1R footage compared to the XHA1 is much better. I would highly recommend switching.

Mark Bolding October 15th, 2012 01:36 PM

Hello Oliver,
Just edit natively and do renders in pro res. No need to convert everything to pro res. The Sony plugin allows you to use log and transfer from within FCP which I find to be the simplest route.

mb

Jack Zhang October 15th, 2012 04:38 PM

Work entirely in XDCAM EX codec. There is a "no transcode" option where you can output no recompression MPEG in Final Cut Pro. (Have your project settings with an XDCAM codec)

You do not need to transcode XDCAM. FCP7 has the XDCAM codecs and it works really well natively. Just choose the "Export to Final Cut" option in XDCAM Browser and it will export a native codec MOV much faster than transcoding.

Oliver Darden October 16th, 2012 12:02 PM

Thanks guys, I think I have decided to edit natively and do renders in ProRes. Thanks again for the help on this.

This was also reassuring -
Final Cut Pro 7 Professional Formats and Workflows

Les Wilson October 17th, 2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 1758737)
...So once I import the clips directly into FCP using the plug-in I can either edit with them natively or I can use compressor to convert them to ProRes? Which do you recommend?

I recommend editing in XDCAM and exporting the timeline in XDCAM. I'll transcode other cameras to prores and mix it into the timeline but still export to XDCAM.

The only reason I can think of to export to Prores and suffer the long export and 3-4x disk space is having to handoff the clip to a non-XDCAM editor. But you may have other reasons.

Luc De Wandel October 18th, 2012 03:36 PM

@ Kevin: I used to have the XH-A1 years ago and I have the PMW320 now, which has the same imagers as the EX3. These Sony camera's are in a completely different league, compared to the Canon. The EX3 is a much more professional camera with a huge difference in image quality. Make the switch without hesitation!