DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New PMW-200 User (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511984-new-pmw-200-user.html)

David Dwyer November 9th, 2012 11:20 AM

New PMW-200 User

3 Attachment(s)
I would like to thank all the people who gave me advise over my camera purchase. I went from Sony NX70 to PMW-100 and finally settled on PMW-200! I am upgrading from the Z1 so its a large upgrade for me.

I run and gun shooting Motorsports but want to move into documentary work in the future.

Full list of items:
Sony (PMW-200) Compact Solid State Memory Camcorder
Sony (SBS64G1A) 64GB SxS-1A Card UDF Format 1.2GB/s
Sachtler (0375 ) System FSB 4 SL MCF - FSB 4 fluid head (#0307) tripod Speed Lock 75 CF (#4588) set mid-level spreader 75 (#7011) padded bag DV 75 S
Sony (2BP-U60 ) Battery Pack
GoPro (GP1021) Hero3 Black Edition

Purchased from CVP in the UK.

Couple of things I've notice with only using the camera is with the standard battery its front heavy. Read with the BP-60 that will level out and the balance is perfect.

The menu buttons are too small for my liking but I'm sure I'll get use to it.

I'm sure I can switch off the constant beeping when the battery hits 10% level.

Also not sure if its going to be a problem for me but using servo zoom the zoom ring moves. If using auto mode I would of thought these rings wouldn't move. I'm just nervous in a rain coat or winter coat these would get stuck causing big problems.

Some pictures

Jack Zhang November 9th, 2012 12:10 PM

Re: New PMW-200 User

If ever you encounter a long field day, it may be worthwhile to get a BP-U90.

You'll find the cache record very useful for motorsports, where vehicles are very unpredictable.

David Dwyer November 9th, 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1762809)
If ever you encounter a long field day, it may be worthwhile to get a BP-U90.

You'll find the cache record very useful for motorsports, where vehicles are very unpredictable.

Already done that, one of the feature I loved about the EX1R.

Another annoyance for me is the mic holder, its very flimsy plastic compared to the metal of the Z1. This is causing issue with my current camera backpack.

I have the PETROL PCBP-3N as seen here PETROL PCBP-3N - (PCBP 3N, PCBP3N), camera cases, PETROL COCOON BACKPACK FOR XL-H1, JVC 100HD but the mic holder sits far to high so if there is any knock to the bag it will break the clip.

So I probably need to purchase the Petrol PC301 bag http://static.bhphoto.com/images/mul...IMG_159308.jpg

David Dwyer November 9th, 2012 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There must of been something wrong because this microphone mount and seems after thought, its not stable, its too high and its likely to break.

Stock Photo http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1352494796

Mine http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1352494988

Anyone know why mine has the extra mounting between the mic and camera.

Also I thought the rear SXS door was meant to be changed from grey to black plastic.

Looking through the EVF I have started to notice RGB colours through my picture.

***EDIT***
Solved for the plastic

The extra plastic mounting plate on the mic is for the wifi adapter CBK-WA01. Just found the extra mounting bracket and wonder what it was; quick check of the manual and it shows it screws onto that extra plate.

Alister Chapman November 10th, 2012 04:15 AM

The SxS card door is silver on the PMW-200 and black on the PMW-150 to help tell the cameras apart more easily. I think the silver cover looks naff, but that's how it's supposed to be.

The microphone mount is meant to be a little flexible to help isolate handling noise from the microphone. It's also quite a way from the camera so that longer gun mic's don't end up appearing in shot. This was a complaint on the EX1/EX3 that any of the longer gun mic's, especially with a softie or similar cover would end up in shot when fully wide. So Sony changed the design and now everyone is complaining the mic holder is too far from the camera body. Can't win I guess.

Seeing rainbow colours in the EVF if you blink or move your eye is normal and due to the way the LCD screen is refreshed one colour at a time.

Andy Wilkinson November 10th, 2012 04:42 AM

Congrats on your new camera David! If the menu system is similar to the EX3 then you should be able to deactivate the battery low beeping noise very easily. I also agree that the silver cover looks naff!

David Dwyer November 10th, 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1762922)
The SxS card door is silver on the PMW-200 and black on the PMW-150 to help tell the cameras apart more easily. I think the silver cover looks naff, but that's how it's supposed to be.

The microphone mount is meant to be a little flexible to help isolate handling noise from the microphone. It's also quite a way from the camera so that longer gun mic's don't end up appearing in shot. This was a complaint on the EX1/EX3 that any of the longer gun mic's, especially with a softie or similar cover would end up in shot when fully wide. So Sony changed the design and now everyone is complaining the mic holder is too far from the camera body. Can't win I guess.

Seeing rainbow colours in the EVF if you blink or move your eye is normal and due to the way the LCD screen is refreshed one colour at a time.

Yeah the rear SXS door should of been black on the 200 and silver on the 150/160.

The mic holder I have managed to change my bag around and there is enough of a gap before the holder touches the top of the bag. I'll have to remove it when I put it in my pelican flight case though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1762924)
Congrats on your new camera David! If the menu system is similar to the EX3 then you should be able to deactivate the battery low beeping noise very easily. I also agree that the silver cover looks naff!

I had a quick look and you can change the level that it hits the warning but couldn't see turning off the beep.

Alister Chapman November 10th, 2012 01:38 PM

The warning tone on/off is in the Audio section of the menu if I remember right. It should mute when you go into record anyway.

David Dwyer November 10th, 2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1762983)
The warning tone on/off is in the Audio section of the menu if I remember right. It should mute when you go into record anyway.

Ah thank you, don't mind if its muted when I hit record.

Alister how did you deal with focus/zoom in a snow coat? If manual these are covered and if set on servo zoom the ring moves. I'm bit nervous of that inside a snow coat if case it gets caught.

Still need to find an alternative USB3 SXS reader, don't fancy paying the £300+ for the Sony one. Can't see the advantages of it compared to the rest.

Joe Lawry November 10th, 2012 04:25 PM

Another new 200 owner here, upgraded from my EX1r, love the camera so far.

I've used my EX's tons of times with rain jackets on them, the zoom pin has never got caught. It is very normal for the zoom ring to move when using the servo trigger, all broadcast lenses do it. The old Z1 didn't as it was a toy lens.

If you do feel its an issue, the pin on the zoom ring unscrews.. just dont loose it.

Regarding the microphone mount. I have already taken mine off and will be replacing it with the Super Strong Twin mount from J-Rod.

Super Strong Twin

The current hole pattern on the SSTM doesn't match that of the PMW200, but im going to get a little adapter bracket made up to fit between the camera and the SSTM so it all fits.

Im also going to give Jeff at J-Rod the hole pattern measurements of the PMW200 so he can look into adapter it for the PMW200, it shouldn't be hard.

Les Wilson November 11th, 2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1762922)
T... This was a complaint on the EX1/EX3 that any of the longer gun mic's, especially with a softie or similar cover would end up in shot when fully wide. So Sony changed the design and now everyone is complaining the mic holder is too far from the camera body. Can't win I guess.

I think readers of this forum would recognize that of the EX1, EX3 and EX1r contributors, a very frequent complaint was that the shotgun mount was poorly designed in that easily broke off. While I didn't read all of them, of those I did read, I don't recall reading about shotguns and softies in frame at the wide end but there were plenty about the easily broken design.

That design birthed an aftermarket of replacement designs that eliminated the protruding Sony mount with a quick release shoe. This resulted in a sleeker design that solves the packing problem as well as ability to use longer shotguns with softies and WA lenses. Thirdly, it leaves you with the more compact configuration for all the times a shotgun isn't in use at all and the result is an extra shoe for an off center light and a shoe for a wireless receiver

Instead of listening to real world shooters, Sony went off on their own producing an uninspired and uninformed design for the PMW-200 for a narrow and specific use case (long shotgun, softie, WA adapter and shots at the wide end). Sony didn't listen to real world users thereby creating a loser design that repeats and exacerbates a well known problem of the previous design for an infinitesimally infrequent shot .... of course they can't win, loser designs by loser product managers never do.

All they had to do was use a quick release design like all the EX1, EX3 and EX1R users of long shotguns were forced to do themselves and are now joined by PMW-200 users.

Alister Chapman November 11th, 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1763077)
Instead of listening to real world shooters, Sony went off on their own producing an uninspired and uninformed design for the PMW-200 for a narrow and specific use case (long shotgun, softie, WA adapter and shots at the wide end). Sony didn't listen to real world users thereby creating a loser design that repeats and exacerbates a well known problem of the previous design for an infinitesimally infrequent shot .... of course they can't win, loser designs by loser product managers never do.

So wide shots and the use of gun mic's or softies is an infinitesimally infrequent way of using a camera and anyone that thinks a camera may be used in this way is a loser? I guess that goes for the product designers at Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic etc as they all appear to think the same way and place mic mounts high and out to the side to prevent it affecting that infinitesimally small out of users that do wide shots.

You don't need a WA adapter or a particularly long mic for it to creep into the corner of a shot with an EX. Not everyone wants or feels the need to use a third party mount. If you don't like the Sony mount at least it can be simply removed and replaced with an alternate mount of your choice unlike many other designs where the mount is fixed.

The EX1/EX3 mount is deigned to break away in an overload situation to prevent damage to the camera or mic. Maybe it is a little too fragile (although I never broke one) but I'd rather have to pay $50 for a new mic holder than for an expensive repair to the camera body or suffer a damaged mic.

Les Wilson November 11th, 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1763096)
.... anyone that thinks a camera may be used in this way is a loser?

I did not say that. Reading comprehension issue.

I can't speak for JVC or Panasonic designs and feedback but Sony had what? 4 years of feedback and experiences on 3 models about the problem and how shooters were solving it? They chose to ignore it or perhaps weren't even aware of it and went ahead and optimized for the one use case instead of both. They had the opportunity to make the PMW-200 have a Sony made removable holder that when mounted solves the problem of the long shotgun softie situations yet isn't permanently periscoping 100% of the time. No OEM stuff required. Want it permanently mounted? Leave it on. Want it remove-able, done. Want a long shotgun? Done, Want to use a softie and take wide angle shots? Done. One design works for all. They had the feedback and the solution but didn't capitalize on it on their limited function design ....that's a loser and the product manager who made the decision to be ignorant or ignore is, IMHO a loser.

Alister Chapman November 11th, 2012 04:03 PM

No, no comprehension problem.

Sony, JVC, Canon, Panasonic, Ikegami to name a few have been producing cameras with similar mic holders for decades, many of them are not even removable. Why? Because for the majority of people they work perfectly well, are simple, easy to use and low cost. Those that want something different, well they can buy whatever they wish spending whatever they feel is appropriate, but why force extra complexity and greater cost on those that don't want it? You forget design is about many things, ergonomics is one, cost is another. If the number of PMW-200 being sold is anything to go by, I don't think it is a loser design.
The PMW-200, like the EX1/EX3 has an industry standard cold shoe (with the option to fit a second on the handle) which is what the vast majority of 3rd party mic holders use anyway and can be considered quick release, plus you have the option to remove the mic holder and replace it if you choose. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Les Wilson November 11th, 2012 04:29 PM

It's not a big deal. The issue came up. Yet again. A removable design was easily doable and not necessarily more costly or complex. Anyone who's actually put the cold shoe on the handle knows it makes the handle unusable as the metal gouges the palm. I doubt anyone doesn't buy a PMW-200 because of the mic holder. Sony had a chance to lead but chose to follow.

Alister Chapman November 12th, 2012 04:13 AM

It is removable!!!!!!

Joe Lawry November 12th, 2012 04:16 AM

Very removable, i unscrewed mine today and have a bracket being manufactured to fit my J rod mount.

Les Wilson November 12th, 2012 06:52 AM

The discussion is about being quick release field removable like the DM Accessories or Jrod replacements are, not two screws removable... You know, like we've all been doing for what ? 3-4 years?
An original equipment designed shotgun holder that used a quick release would have been innovative and shown leadership. Instead its as dull a design as any that negatively impacts ergonomics and is arguably more likely to break off leaving you with nothing until it gets repaired.

Duane Dubiel November 14th, 2012 10:36 PM

I made my own mount using a pearstone shotgun mount and with an additional hot shoe mount.

Sara Jourhmane November 15th, 2012 08:09 AM

I tried to put Rode SM3 Shock Mount with AT-897 microphone on the shoe of PMW200, but it obstructed the LCD.