DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   "Mastering Sony's PMW-200, -160, -150, -100 XDCAM CAMERAS" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/513418-mastering-sonys-pmw-200-160-150-100-xdcam-cameras.html)

James Kuhn January 11th, 2013 05:58 PM

"Mastering Sony's PMW-200, -160, -150, -100 XDCAM CAMERAS"

I recently received a copy of the latest Vortex Media training DVDs, "Mastering Sony's PMW-200, -160, -150, -100 XDCAM CAMERAS" (HD XDCAM 422). If you have never seen one of Doug Jensen's (Vortex Media) training videos, you'll immediately notice the very high production values present in all of Doug's DVDs. I also own "How to Set-Up and Shoot Awesome Interviews With LED LIGHTS". Both DVD sets are excellent! I've purchased training videos from other sources and the difference is day and night.

Let me state for the record, I am not connected to Vortex Media in any way other then being a very happy customer.

One of the best things I've noticed when watching Mr. Jensen's "HD XDCAM 422" training video is how he explains in detail the pros and cons of each camera, he doesn't pull any punches and when he finds a camera's feature that doesn't quite reach the mark, he says so. Mr. Jensen includes multiple examples of how he would set-up and use the various features and functions of each camera in a real-world shooting situation. For example, his rationale and choices of 'Assign Buttons' made me re-think my current camera configuration as well as his choice of Frame Markers in the viewfinder. Mr. Jensen takes approximately 52 different camera formats and narrows the list down to a very manageable six (6) choices. Mr. Jensen is quick to point out that 'his' is only one opinion and your needs may require a different solution. For someone new to the world of professional video cameras, like myself, it's gives me a solid foundation to build on.

"HD XDCAM 422" is an extensive three (3) hour, two (2) DVD training video packed with just about everything you'd want to know about the new Sony cameras. I would recommend to anyone that is considering purchasing one of these Sony Camcorders, first purchase this training video. The cost of the DVD set is very modest when considering the cost of a camera.

Thanks for playing along.

J.

Chris Hurd January 11th, 2013 06:30 PM

Re: "Mastering Sony's PMW-200, -160, -150, -100 XDCAM CAMERAS"

Thanks, James -- the link to order directly is "Mastering the PMW-200-160-150-100 Camcorders"

Duane Dubiel January 11th, 2013 08:46 PM

I purchased the DVD and it was I an eye opener. It was put together very well and very informing! Doug was very smooth in front of the camera and I can only imagine how smooth and efficient he is behind the camera. We don't need to call him Mr. Jensen. I think he would just like to be called........... Doug! LOL.

Robert Bale January 11th, 2013 09:15 PM

I say too its good and lots of useful info,just need help with the wifi adapter for the PMW200, i can't seem to find much info on setting it up with a iPhone, i have downloaded xmpilot tool for i phone, hopefully Doug will do a short youtube video on how to set it up.

James Kuhn January 12th, 2013 11:25 AM

Chris...thanks for adding the 'Link', I appreciate it.

Best regards,

J.

Doug Jensen January 13th, 2013 07:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments! You have all made my day.
Doug

David Dwyer February 8th, 2013 08:19 AM

Hi Doug, I have found a UK seller of your DVD so I have now purchased it.

Looking forward to getting my PMW-200 setup properly.

Doug Jensen February 10th, 2013 09:06 AM

Thank you, David. I hope you find it helpful.

Bill Rankin March 18th, 2013 04:58 PM

I just reviewed the DVD and find it to be very helpful. There is one thing, however, I need to ask about. This might have been addressed somewhere on DVINFO, but I have not seen it.

For audio input, there is a "LIne Input Ref." and "Reference Level" in the menu. Is that something new with the latest firmware update. I did not see it mentioned in the video. Line Input Ref. goes up +4 and down -3, plus there is a 'ebul' selection. Reference Level has a simular selection.

I'll look it up in the manual.

Doug Jensen March 19th, 2013 08:14 AM

Hi Bill,

The Reference Level menu allows you to adjust the output level of the 1 kHz tone when you turn on color bars.

The Line Input Ref allows you to trim the input levels when either of the two XLR connectors are set for line input. For example, if you are feeding the camera a line-level signal that is too hot or too low, and you have no control over the source of that audio, then you could try adjusting this menu so you'll have a better range of control when you rotate the audio level dial on the side of the camera.

However, like many of the audio menu settings, these controls are designed to help someone deal with very specific needs or unusual audio situations that they might encounter. 99.9% of the time, there's no reason for most people to ever change them. In other words, unless you have a specific issue you are troubleshooting, you should leave them alone. :-)

Bill Rankin March 19th, 2013 09:53 AM

Thanks Doug....do you know what the "ebul" selection means?

Doug Jensen March 19th, 2013 10:32 AM

EBU referes to the European Broadcasting Union.
European Broadcasting Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to admit I'm not sure when you would use that setting because I'm located in the USA. On other Sony equipment (not sure about the 200) EBUL is a setting that can only be selected when the video format is set for 50i/50P/25P.

I'm sure that Alister could shed more light if he sees this thread.

Bill Rankin March 19th, 2013 12:03 PM

Thanks Doug...I really appreciate you taking out the time to answer questions about this camera.

Joe Cain March 22nd, 2013 11:55 PM

Does the PMW 200 require a "software or hardware key" when using the Sony CBK-WA01 Wi-Fi Adapter? I read where other PMW's require a key, but I can't find specific information about the PMW 200.

Sincerely,
Joe

Doug Jensen March 23rd, 2013 10:22 AM

Joe, it's my understanding that you don't need to purchase a special software key, all you need is to buy the hardware and you'll have what you need. But please don't take my word for it because it is not a product I am keeping up to date on. Sony sent me a demo unit last fall to try out and I was so unimpressed that I lost all interest in the product. Unless the implement some of the changes I recommended after my beta testing, it's not a product I could recommend to anyone.

You realize you can't stream a live picture to a phone or tablet, right? Only the bigger should-mount cameras like the PDW-F800 and 700 can do that. Not possible with the the 200/160/150/100 cameras.