DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sticky thread for PMW-200 Picture Profiles? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/513720-sticky-thread-pmw-200-picture-profiles.html)

Malcolm Hamilton January 23rd, 2013 06:50 PM

sticky thread for PMW-200 Picture Profiles?

Hi there,
I used an EX-1 for years, and yes, I know there are 41 pages devoted to EX Picture Profiles in a sticky at the top of our beloved DVinfo site named 'Picture Profile recipes'. A wonderful resource!

But now I have a PMW-200 and I'm struggling to create some Picture Profiles for it.
It's different enough from its EX predecessors (the last post on the EX PP thread, from Alister Chapman, makes that quite clear: "There isn't really a direct high sat equivalent/The PMW-200 matrices are quite different to the EX's") that I'm going to suggest that the PMW-200 get a Picture Profile sticky of its own... it could share it with the other new PMW cameras (like the 100), if they fall into the same Picture Profile setting category.

Would others agree?
Thanks,
Malcolm

James Kuhn January 25th, 2013 02:12 PM

Re: sticky thread for PMW-200 Picture Profiles?

Malcolm...I don't know if this might help, but Vortex Media (Doug Jensen) has a DVD training series for the new PMW-100, -150, -160 and -200 cameras. The DVD set includes Doug's recommendations for PP and general camera set-up. Given your experience, it might be too 'basic' for you, but it's a thought.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

J.

Chris Hurd January 25th, 2013 04:10 PM

I would like to see picture profile settings posted directly to the forum.

I can make it possible for the files themselves to be attached to a post and directly downloadable.

Dan Crowell January 30th, 2013 08:10 PM

Guys, read your manual. The equivalent to hi sat would be found in Matrix / Level - +99 to -99. Play around with the menus and they'll eventually make sense.

It'd be nice if Sony techs would make up their minds on the menu setting. Looks like the PMW-200, 160, 150 and 100 have a hybrid menu some where between the EX-1 & 3 and the PMW-320, 350 and 500 which is a hybrid menu between the EX & XDCAM menus??? The menus on the 320, 350, and 500 are the best by far.

Malcolm Hamilton January 30th, 2013 09:17 PM

Hi Dan,
From what I gather, saturation is affected by one's choice in Matrix, in both 'Select' (choice of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6—the lower the number, the higher the saturation) as well as in Level (anything from -99 to +99, as you say)... Maybe this is an example of what you mean by 'hybrid'; it's certainly different from the EX1/EX1-R and EX3 setup, which is why it would be nice to get some Picture Profiles just for these new cameras.
For that reason, I think, Chris Hurd has kindly moved a thread just on the subject of PMW-200 and 150 Picture Profiles to a sticky at the very top of this DVinfo site!
Regards,
Malcolm

Alister Chapman January 31st, 2013 12:21 AM

All the PMW and PDW 422 cameras use the same paint settings, so they all have the same 6 matrices, the same gammas and similar detail settings. There will be however be slight differences from camera to camera in the way they look as they use different sensors and DSP's.

Matrix number does not affect saturation, it affects Gamut, which is different and more about the range of colours that can be recorded rather than how vivvid they are. The Saturation control controls saturation.