DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   From an Ex3 to a PMW-300 or ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/518692-ex3-pmw-300-a.html)

Ed Przyzycki September 3rd, 2013 01:27 PM

From an Ex3 to a PMW-300 or ??

I don't have an immediate need to upgrade my trusty EX3. But if I did, I would ask for HD422, 50Mb/s and a better (non-jerky) zoom. I guess I have to wait until 10/15 to see if the PMW-300's zoom will be better...

What are you all thinking? Time to trade? Happy where you are?

I'm just wondering if a NanoFlash and a better zoom lens (and/or something with smaller DOF) for my EX3 (with low hours) would be just as good as an investment compared to a new camera purchase.

(I think the only other big issue with the EX3 was the noise, but it hasn't really been a concern for me, and who knows what the 300 will do).

Thanks in advance!

Glen Vandermolen September 3rd, 2013 01:47 PM

Re: From an Ex3 to a PMW-300 or ??

According to this reviewer, the zoom issue has been improved:

Personally, I would go with the PMW-300, because it will be upgradeable to XAVC. It also looks better for shoulder mounting and the new EVF looks sweet.

However...
It will cost a lot more than simply adding an external recorder to an EX3. If you're happy with the EX3, use it until you have a definite need for the 300.

I have an FS100, and as much as I want an FS700, I can't justify the added expense at this time.

Jerry Porter September 3rd, 2013 02:01 PM

If the zoom on the 300 is anything like the zoom on the 200 it's LIGHT YEARS better than what is on the EX3.

Dean Harrington September 8th, 2013 09:06 PM

My trusty EX3 has worked well with a nanoflash and Libec ZC-9EX zoom for all these years. I do like the changes made on the PMW 300 but the ex3 still shines. I would get a samurai recorder and the Libec zoom if I had to make a choice today. p.s. we just recently shot part of the 'making of' the new Hasbro/Disney TRANSFORMERS 3 animation movie here in Tokyo with the trusty EX3 ... !

Ed Przyzycki September 9th, 2013 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone!

Matt Davis September 18th, 2013 03:14 PM

Sorry to be a bit late to this party, but have two questions about the PMW300 speaking as a devout EX1R user.

1) Can the viewfinder be removed or folded in such a way to get the whole camera (with accessories) into an airline friendly backpack? That was the thing that killed the EX3 for me.

2) What's the noise like on the PMW300 (and I guess, the 200) compared to the EX1R & EX3? Not sure just how cleaner that 300/200 cameras are with their 3D noise reduction compared to EX1/3 (which had a sort of characterful 'boil' of grain in their pictures, even without gain).