DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PXW X180 V lock power (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/526617-pxw-x180-v-lock-power.html)

Dean Asher January 27th, 2015 04:16 AM

PXW X180 V lock power

Hi all,

Putting the question out there to see if anyone has any suggestions or known work around's. I am running a PXW-X180 and have a requirement to run it off V-lock batteries.

Now I have found the DC power in is 19.5v which returns a low voltage alarm when a 14v V-lock is used. In the menu you can lower the low voltage alarm to 15v and that is as low as you can go.

Does anyone using or have worked with a x180 know of any solutions to this issue?

Cheers.

Olof Ekbergh January 30th, 2015 10:05 AM

Re: PXW X180 V lock power

Most brick batteries output an average of 14.8v. Fully charged they output as high as 16.8v as they drain the voltage drops, most cameras stop working at 11.5v, that is when the low voltage warning comes on and then shuts the camera down.

Power Requirements
19.5 VDC (AC Adaptor)
14.4 VDC (battery pack)

The above is what Sony specs for the 180.

I have powered lots of EX cams with Vmount and Goldmount Bricks and never had a problem so I am a bit confused that the 180 is different. I don't have a 180 so I can't test.

I power the FS7 with these bricks and there is no problem. It also uses the same batteries and DC in plug as the EXcams.

Is it possible your bricks are old and not retaining full charge?

Dave Sperling January 31st, 2015 11:49 PM

The 180 is much more power hungry than my old EX1, possibly because of its multiple encoding/recording/output options. (Simultaneous record on two SxS cards, proxy recording to a separate SD card, wi-fi transmission, etc.)
The AC power supply is actually similar to the ones that came with my old VAIO laptop computers - the 19.5 volt output plug may look similar to the 12v power plug from the EX cameras, but it's a slightly larger diameter. The 12v (yellow tipped) EX plug will not fit on the 180, nor will the 19.5v PC/180 plug fit on the EX.
So at least there's not an easy way to feed the wrong voltage...

However... I have no suggestions for powering the 180 from V-Lock or A-B batts. Perhaps if a 14.4v to 19.5v converter were available?

Brian Murphy February 2nd, 2015 12:54 PM

You might want to contact Jeff DeMaag. DM-Accessories ? DM-Accessories he has been dowing work on a V mount adapter for the very power finicky PMW 300 and may be able to help.

Phil Goetz February 9th, 2015 03:38 PM

This camera throws off some serious heat. I had it on the counter and I thought I was having a heart attack. My hand felt really warm near the side of the camera.

Dean Asher February 10th, 2015 12:34 AM

Thanks all,

Shall keep looking.

Yes she can get warm!

Dean Asher March 8th, 2015 10:56 PM

Solution........

Came across this and got one.

PC-19 | Power-con (Male) - 19.5v Sony PXW (40cm Length) - Hawk-Woods Ltd

If anyone else is looking for ways to power the power hungry x180 off a V-Lok here is the lead yoou will need.