DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   About to buy a PXW-X200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/529546-about-buy-pxw-x200.html)

Paul Anderegg September 3rd, 2015 05:55 PM

Re: About to buy a PXW-X200

Ben, I would definitely recomend the MEAD-SD02 SDXC adaptors. I just installed a pair, and it is soooo much more convinient to use 64GB Sony SDXC ($30@) cards than to deal with the large SxS cards and the damn $350 USB SxS reader! Suprises I was not expecting with the adaptors, I can shoot XAVC-Intra on SDXC cards, and I can leave the adaptors in place and just pop the SD cards out and the camera doesn't complain like it did with the older MEAD-SD01 SDHC adaptors.

That reminds me, I have to sell off my 3 32GB SxS-1 cards and USB3.0 reader on eBay!

Paul

Jack Zhang September 4th, 2015 03:13 AM

The X180 actually NEEDS the MEAD-SD02 adapters to use the cards properly, Paul. The SD01 are more for the XDCAM EX only EX1R and EX1 series cameras.

Paul Anderegg September 4th, 2015 04:15 AM

You CAN use the MEAD-SD01 in the X180, it just limits you to AVCHD. I just sold off my SD01 card, AVCHD is stupid and ugly. :)

Paul

Jack Zhang September 4th, 2015 05:30 AM

^Which is exactly why those need to be passed on to those with older equipment, like EX1s or EX3s.

Think of it this way, when the PMW-F5 was introduced, they needed a new adapter for SD cards so people could still record XAVC HD and XDCAM HD422 onto it. Your X180 is based off of the "new crop" of firmware very similar to the F5's. It makes sense to have multiple SD02 adapters.

Ben Ramsay September 4th, 2015 07:18 AM

BOUGHT a Sony X160

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

After a lot of reading and watching of Rob's videos I've gone for an X160. I just didn't need all of the networking stuff of the 180 and save myself about £1000 in the process.

Rob - your X180 pros and cons video was really useful so thanks again. Overall I think I've saved myself around £1500 off the price of the X200 and got a better bit of kit for what I need it for.

I really counts speaking to people who know what they're doing, so thanks again guys! ;)

I'm sure I'll be chipping in with trip reports as I grown into it.

Cheers

Paul Anderegg September 4th, 2015 07:52 AM

Forgot to mention, the X160 only does NTSC, no PAL options available......just kidding. Congradulations on your selection, and hope you trick that puppy out well using all that leftover cash!

Paul

Ben Ramsay September 4th, 2015 07:56 AM

Ha ha :) My heart sank just for a split second there Paul!

Yeah, I bought a nice new shotgun, a wet suit, a new bag and a new zoom control and a still have about £1000 change left over!