DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PXW-X70 vs AG-DVX200 1080p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/532623-pxw-x70-vs-ag-dvx200-1080p.html)

Jasen Chung September 1st, 2016 03:53 AM

PXW-X70 vs AG-DVX200 1080p

Hello,

I'm trying to choose between these two cameras for an all day conference shoot. I'll be recording onto some atomos recorders. Since the SDI outputs only give 1080p, I'm curious as to which sensor will give me the better quality in 1080p between these two cameras? Any insight?

I believe the PXW-X70 has a 1.0" type Exmor R CMOS sensor and the AG-DVX200 has a 4/3 type MOS. Quite the newbie with sensors so any help would be great!

Gary Huff September 1st, 2016 06:48 AM

Re: PXW-X70 vs AG-DVX200 1080p

Are you purchasing or renting?

Dave Sperling September 1st, 2016 07:01 AM

Not trying to be flip with this answer, but... I think you're asking the wrong question (thus no other responses yet)
Without knowing what you mean by 'conference' -- you may want to actually analyze your needs. Both cameras have fixed lenses. Which better meets your requirements? Are you shooting presentations from the back of a ballroom? (If so- lens length may be important!) What light levels are you dealing with? (My guess is that the X70 may be a bit better in lower light.) Will you need to operate with a rear zoom? (advantege may go to the 200) Are you trying to capture a poorly lit speaker and an overly bright presentation screen? (you may want to record in LOG and run a Power Window in Resolve to even things out - are you the editor? If not, talk to the editor in advance!) Is camera size a factor? (I wouldn't want to have to shoot handheld all day with the 200.)
Once you've analyzed your needs, then figure out how to prioritize your questions!

Jasen Chung September 1st, 2016 11:55 AM

I'm renting three of either.

Jasen Chung September 1st, 2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Sperling (Post 1920274)
Not trying to be flip with this answer, but... I think you're asking the wrong question (thus no other responses yet)
Without knowing what you mean by 'conference' -- you may want to actually analyze your needs. Both cameras have fixed lenses. Which better meets your requirements? Are you shooting presentations from the back of a ballroom? (If so- lens length may be important!) What light levels are you dealing with? (My guess is that the X70 may be a bit better in lower light.) Will you need to operate with a rear zoom? (advantege may go to the 200) Are you trying to capture a poorly lit speaker and an overly bright presentation screen? (you may want to record in LOG and run a Power Window in Resolve to even things out - are you the editor? If not, talk to the editor in advance!) Is camera size a factor? (I wouldn't want to have to shoot handheld all day with the 200.)
Once you've analyzed your needs, then figure out how to prioritize your questions!

No not at all, thanks for asking!

I'm shooting presentations from the back of a ball room but its not that huge, plus I have a second shooter located much closer for profile shots and crowd shots. Light levels, I'm providing some secondary lighting to supplement the horrible house lights. Nothing will be handheld but all on sticks, and I'm editing. I don't need the presentation screen so I'm good to go there. (And pardon the ignorance but what do you mean by rear zoom?) Regardless, I asked with all of this in mind, meaning with both cameras fitting my parameters for the room.

So with that said, which sensor will give me greater quality footage in 1080p?. And since you mentioned it, which does better low light?

Thanks!

Dave Sperling September 1st, 2016 03:06 PM

If you're renting, my suggestion would be to go to the rental house and put the two cameras next to each other. Not only are the sensors different sensitivities, but the lenses also have different wide open apertures.
From an operator perspective, the larger camera may be easier to deal with on a tripod -- particularly having rings on the lens for focus / zoom / iris.
By 'rear zoom' I'm referring to a zoom rocker that can be mounted on the tripod handle so you can both pan and zoom with the same hand - something that I consider fairly important when operating for a lengthy shoot. Also very important if you need to be zooming, focusing and following action (and even possibly changing iris) all at the same time. Unless the presenters are chained to the podium or locked into panel discussion chairs, you may find that some will not only wander the stage, but even move off the stage to 'engage the audience.' And if there's a 'dark spot' in the lighting of the stage, someone is bound to find it!

Jasen Chung September 1st, 2016 08:35 PM

yeah thankfully it's all podium shots and panel discussions. nothing crazy.

Unfortunately I'm renting from borrowlenses.com nothing local. I'll try to search.

Anyone else have experience?

Jeff Anselmo September 8th, 2016 03:21 PM

Hi Jasen--

Just wondering which camera you decided to rent out? How was the experience renting from borrowlenses.com? (As I am thinking of renting an X70 myself.)

Best,