DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sot: sony a6000 / 6300 / 6500? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/532965-sot-sony-a6000-6300-6500-a.html)

Leslie Wand October 30th, 2016 06:34 PM

sot: sony a6000 / 6300 / 6500?

Has anyone any experience with using this sort of camera as b roll against ex1?

been using my z5 quite happily but want to pass it on to youngster who's just starting out.

not worried about sound, and have a range of nikon lenses i could use if need be.

also had thought about a6300 and shooting 4k for reframing?

thought most welcome

Jack Zhang October 31st, 2016 12:31 AM

Re: sot: sony a6000 / 6300 / 6500?

The biggest gotcha with the a6300 and a6500 is the MFT crop factor in 4K 30p. In 30p you'll need a speedbooster to compensate for the crop factor. The Super35 crop factor is only in 4K 24p.

I own a EX1R and the extra resolution is very helpful, but the rolling shutter is what kind of sours the a6300 compared to the EX1. The overheating is also something you'll need to manage. If you manage to make a heatsink for it, that can help.

Wacharapong Chiowanich October 31st, 2016 03:12 AM

Assuming you are a one man band B-roll shooter like myself, another key thing to consider is the pace of the subjects you have to shoot and the preferred style of your shooting. If what you shoot is fast-paced or if you usually rely on power zooming a lot (slow, creeping zoom, moderate or crash zoom) you'd better skip any of these hybrid cameras and go for the like of the Sony Z150, the new Panasonic HC-X1, etc. If you don't mind paying a lot more and putting up with a heavier, more cumbersome set then larger sensor cameras like the Sony FS5 or Canon C100 will work well too but only with a very few proper cine optimized lenses.

I don't know maybe DSLRs or hybrid mirrorlesses are just not my cup of tea. I feel like they hamper my style and my movement and are awkward to use for an extended period. The lenses are usually the worst for run and gun B-roll shoots. Heavy, slow and sometimes noisy to auto focus and power zoom, if there is any power zoom at all. The zoom ranges are often too limited, requiring you to change lenses for optimal framing or you simply have to move a lot more.

Leslie Wand November 4th, 2016 10:16 PM

thanks for the replies - bit late getting back i know, sorry...

interesting points you both raise. i'm in pal land so will be shooting 50i or 25p. most of my requirements for a second camera are talking head based - so i can control the lighting, rolling shutter not a problem, neither is audio. don't see takes longer than 10 minutes so overheating?

i had thought about the 150 and the x1, but i'd prefer something both smaller and way less expensive - i can't see myself bothering with 4k in the near future, or at least until either a client asks for it and or distribution is much more practical, so the appeal is for reframing in post mainly.

i've borrowed a nex5 for a couple of weeks, bit old and with kit lenses, but i might just buy a cheap adapter and try some of my nikon glass out of curiosity...

btw. no sooner did i start thinking about 6300 than they're now releasing a 6500. hard to keep up with the pace nowadays ;-(

Simon Denny November 5th, 2016 12:26 AM

I would grab the a6500... I have been on the fence with the Sony A6000 line for some time now and I think it's time for the a6500. I sold all my high end gear and now run with the a7s cameras. Love em.

I'm after a small Sony camera that does video and photos which fits with my current a7s cameras, a few of the new features on the a6500 v a6300 has made my decision, yeah.... it's a lot more, you get that.

Oh, just need to add that, I shoot in APS-C only and have only these lenses.

Leslie Wand November 5th, 2016 06:48 PM

hi simon,

unfortunately most of my work requires my ex1 (or similar camcorder), i've experimented with small / dslr style cameras but they're simply not suitable for run and gun nor talking head - well they might be if i was willing to spend on all the peripheral equipment required, but i'm not.

however, i am very tempted by getting at least one of these type cameras to replace my z5. i checked out the differences between the 6300 vs 6500, and though i can see how the differences would sway me in favour of the 6500 if it was my MAIN camera, i think i'll probably opt for the 6300 and use the difference on some decent glass.

i've a bunch of nikon primes which with the cheap adapter i bought work surprisingly well on the nex5, better than the two kit lens that came with it, but i would like a compatible zoom to use so i was thinking of the

Sony E-Mount 18-105mm f4 G OSS Power Zoom Lens | Digital Camera Warehouse

bearing in mind it'll mainly be used for talking heads and grandchildren ;-)

did you ever use one of these sony cameras with your 'high-end' gear?

Simon Denny November 5th, 2016 11:01 PM

Yep I used the a7s a lot mixed with my old Sony PMW500 and does well with other Sony Cameras, EX1,3 sf7, fs5 etc...
I was going to grab a 18-105 however I ended up on the Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS lens, why this lens...I wanted a lens that would give my the same reach as my Fujinon B4 lens on the PMW500 and the 18-200mm was very close, had great sharpness along with the lens coating seemed similar to the Fujinon.

Leslie Wand November 6th, 2016 12:06 AM

thanks, good to know they work together...

wish you hadn't posted though, am now thinking about an a7 ;-)

Simon Denny November 6th, 2016 12:32 AM

It never ends..... does it. Every week a new something comes out, back in the old days you stayed with gear that lasted for ever, now.... its like months. Saying that though, I still think a good solid HD camera with some slowmo will still be around for sometime. I don't shoot 4k and have never been asked YET...

Leslie Wand November 6th, 2016 12:44 AM

fortunately i'm no longer on the treadmill / in the rat race / beholden to some moronic mba / interested in finding new clients... the ones i have now i've had for many years and they know me and i know them, in fact my main client with whom i do over $15k a year with i haven't met in the past 8 years - i get the brief, i shoot, edit then post to their pr people and that's it ;-)

i can't ever see myself giving up a full size camcorder, they're just too practical for my needs, but i'm intrigued by the potential of say the 6500 / a7 for other projects that don't require audio, etc.

how do you find the extending barrel on the lens, what attracted me to the other lens was it being internal zoom and easy to use with a matte box. how do you find it?

Simon Denny November 6th, 2016 01:00 AM

Same here with the treadmill and (beholden to some moronic mba).

Here's my take on the DSLR world. First of all I come from an ENG, shoulder rig world and the list goes on...

My back is stuffed, I'm now 52. Need smaller camera when the 5D came out, Tried them all and sold every one of them. Sony came out with their new line and WAM... fits my work flow both in hand position, size, image and audio. Compromises are everywhere with lens choice at this time. ENG camera lenses are fantastic however cost a small fortune, DSLR lenses are photo lenses and one has to adjust to this fact, extending barrel on the 18-200mm is odd but I just deal with this. ND's are an Issue which I have a work around that suits me.

Simon Denny November 6th, 2016 01:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup. Sony a7s.

Leslie Wand November 7th, 2016 05:19 AM

that's a very impressive setup...

i'm no sure i'd be happy with run and gun with it though. that said, do you have external battery pack - thinking longish takes through the day or do you have to change battery regularly?

what would i do re matte box with extending lens (i often use rotating cpl, and obviously would need nd filters since there's none on camera)?

which sony mic adapter are you using?

and thanks for your time posting. appreciated.

Simon Denny November 7th, 2016 04:56 PM

No problems,

My Sony A7s, setup
I take 7 batteries on a day shoot, these run out at about 45mins each. Using the Sony XLR-K1M draws power from the camera.

Movcam a7S Cage
Sony XLR-K1M Adapter and Microphone Kit
Breakthrough Photography ND filters
Breakthrough Photography | State-of-the-art Filters for Outdoor Photographers.
Xume adapters
Welcome to XumeAdapters - Quick Release Adapters for Photo Filters

Here is a link of how I use the ND's and Xume adapters, the lens in the video I have sold, however I use step down rings and the ND's, Xume adapters to fit all my Sony Glass.