Sharp center, soft everywhere else (Z280) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 15th, 2022, 12:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sharp center, soft everywhere else (Z280)

https://f.io/N2lmLodJ

That's how they described the camera.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Bill Magac View Post
I’m curious how LensRental described the Z280’s condition when they offered it for sale? Do they test the cameras/lenses prior to putting them up for sale?
David Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2022, 12:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. Followup post is below.

Best,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
In a span of few years I had two camcorders with lens/focus issues. Both I believe were open box specials with low or no hours. They don't need to be dropped to have an issue the manufacture had to replaced the lens. I'd imagine the manufacture would need to examine it and do the same.
Old June 15th, 2022, 12:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Update:

Camera has been returned to Lensrentals. They told me it comes with a 90 day warranty and when speaking with their techs (they can repair onsite) they said they will take care of me either by fixing, refunding or replacing the camera.

They should get it Thursday June 16 and I hope to have an update by Friday.

So far, they seem to be understanding and cooperative. I hope that holds true. I've dealt with them in the past (only for rentals) and they have been great!

Best,

David
Old June 15th, 2022, 04:01 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Update:

Camera has been returned to Lensrentals. They told me it comes with a 90 day warranty and when speaking with their techs (they can repair onsite) they said they will take care of me either by fixing, refunding or replacing the camera.

They should get it Thursday June 16 and I hope to have an update by Friday.

So far, they seem to be understanding and cooperative. I hope that holds true. I've dealt with them in the past (only for rentals) and they have been great!

Best,

David
Buying used, you save money and it often works out, but sometimes it doesn't that's part of the trade off. It's good that you caught it before the 90 days.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2022, 05:38 PM   #20
Vortex Media

I'd never buy used gear from a rental house because you don't know how badly customers have beaten it. Much better to buy gently used gear from an experienced owner/operator who takes care of his/her stuff.
Old June 15th, 2022, 07:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Good point. I've never bought from a rental house. Even on ebay it's best to buy from the original owner when possible because any reseller doesn't know the history or how it was treated. But I've had to return even from individuals who were trying to unload gear that has issues without disclosing it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2022, 02:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well if you have a line on any Z280's as you describe please let me know! Right now they are hard to come by. Lensrentals told me they will fix it and make it right or refund me. Fingers crossed.

Best,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I'd never buy used gear from a rental house because you don't know how badly customers have beaten it. Much better to buy gently used gear from an experienced owner/operator who takes care of his/her stuff.
Old June 17th, 2022, 02:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

From LensRentals:

Hi David,

I wanted to let you know that our tech has inspected the camera and has found that the optics are misaligned. He is sending it to our in-house repair department for further testing and inspection. I will reach out with an update once that is complete. Please let me know if you need anything in the meantime.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Kim
Lensrentals.com
Old July 31st, 2022, 05:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Update:

Camera was shipped back to Sony and the lens was replaced. It is perfect!

Major props to Lensrentals for backing up their gear and they also provided me a loaner while mine was gone.

David
Old August 1st, 2022, 10:39 AM   #25
Trustee

Happy outcome. That's really good to hear.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2022, 12:42 PM   #26
Inner Circle

It seems like my EX1 is similarly fated. Wide-open it goes soft on the left side of the image. Looking back through some older footage, it seems that it has been happening for a while in low light situations but I did not spot it.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2023, 08:11 AM   #27
Regular Crew

@Doug Jensen,

Can you tell me what utility you use to view metadata? Anyone else?

Thanks!

David

Quote:
David, I can tell from the clip's metadata that you have the Macro switch turned on. Try another test with it turned off. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not but you need try that before sending it in for repair or for a refund.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 10:24 AM   #28
Vortex Media

Sure, I use Sony's Catalyst Browse software. Not only is it free, none of the other camera manufacturers having anything like it.
Old April 7th, 2023, 08:51 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks @Doug Jensen! The software is amazing! I just purchased a 2nd Z280 and now I'm in the market for a PTZ camera for my production company. Looking at the Sony BRC-X1000 but also looking at the Panasonic UE150 as well. I'll see if anything new pops up at NAB.

Thanks!

David

Quote:
Sure, I use Sony's Catalyst Browse software. Not only is it free, none of the other camera manufacturers having anything like it.
David Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds