Sony PXW-Z190 No Variable ND option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2024, 03:24 PM   #1
Tourist

Sony PXW-Z190 No Variable ND option

Hey guys. I use my Z190 frequently, but have never been able to get Variable ND to work, and really want to start using it, as it's an awesome feature. You should be able to move from bright outdoor exposure seamlessly to a darker setting with variable stepless exposure change, or maintain a constant iris F/stop for bokeh control.

Something in my Menus is set wrong or I'm stupid and totally missing something. Can't figure this out.

The Variable ND scroll dial does not do anything or change the ND exposure at all. I have the Fixed/Variable selector switch set to Variable, the manual ND lever is set at Clear. The manual ND lever does darken exposure when switched from Clear to 1 2 or 3.

I have tried changing various settings in Menu > Camera > Auto Exposure, as well as trying different settings in other menus related to exposure. The Auto ND option is greyed out and can't be turned on. If you click that it says "Cannot proceed"

I have updated the camera to the latest firmware version4.21

The user manual does not help in troubleshooting this.

As a last-ditch effort, I reset the camera by going to Menu > System > All Reset > Execute. This did not re-enable the greyed-out Auto ND selection.

I'm out of ideas. Otherwise, this is a very nice camera, great lens and fully functional. Just this one feature I don't know how to turn it on. It should be factory-enabled out of the box by default.
Gary Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2024, 07:57 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Sony PXW-Z190 No Variable ND option

Gary, this right here is your problem:
"I have the Fixed/Variable selector switch set to Variable, the manual ND lever is set at Clear. "

The Variable ND only functions when the switch is set to 1, 2, or 3. It does not matter which one, but it cannot be on Clear. Also, in case you don't already know, 1/4 ND (2-stops) is the minimum possible setting for variable ND. But you are correct about one thing, it is one of the camera's best features.

https://youtu.be/R4YNDlLtuMk?si=wZq1XZgbz2pDXU91

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds