DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony XDCAM EX -- a bunch of pics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/91612-sony-xdcam-ex-bunch-pics.html)

Alex Leith May 22nd, 2007 09:39 AM

I can't help but feel that a 50mbit palmcorder would bastardize sales of their own corporate / lowend-pro cameras.

If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330.

Surely no company in their right mind would redirect potential customers to an item with a lower margin?

Gareth Watkins May 22nd, 2007 10:49 AM

hi there

This camera certainly seems to tick a lot of boxes as an advancement for the Z1..(which depite it's progessive chips, I never considered the V1 was... smaller 1/4" chips, smaller, more fiddly controls, step back for LCD placement etc)
I would however echo the reservations about it's size... the Z1 is heavy, once you add mic, large battery, mattebox etc... I use mine with a shoulder mount...but it is very front heavy.

While I love the form announced, which looks absolutely outstanding, I'd love it in shoulder form, or even semi-shoulder like say an XL2. but I guess they don't want to step on the ground of the current XDcam's... They are however out of my price bracket.

I do see though they have an HDV shoulder cam in the works too, which was one of my queries a few months back... While I doubt it will equal the quality of the XDcam EX, if it's a progressive Z1 in a shoulder mount body that may well do me..

Exciting times...

cheers
Gareth

Michael Struthers May 22nd, 2007 11:37 AM

What makes this here Sony beautiful is:

- 1/2" chips
- saves to flash cards!
- 4:2:0 is fine for green screen
- under 8k

Sony has finally woken up. This might be (finally) the first under 10k cam that's as good as super16mm film.

Bounce pass to Canon and Panny in the corner...will they put up a three or travel out of bounds...

Scott Shama May 22nd, 2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 683849)
I would however echo the reservations about it's size... the Z1 is heavy, once you add mic, large battery, mattebox etc... I use mine with a shoulder mount...but it is very front heavy.

What shoulder mount do you use?

Thanks,
Scott

Ray Bell May 22nd, 2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 683849)
hi there

I do see though they have an HDV shoulder cam in the works too, which was one of my queries a few months back... While I doubt it will equal the quality of the XDcam EX, if it's a progressive Z1 in a shoulder mount body that may well do me..

Exciting times...

cheers
Gareth

What HDV shoulder cam are you referring to??

Boyd Ostroff May 22nd, 2007 01:34 PM

See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91617

Gareth Watkins May 22nd, 2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 683959)
What HDV shoulder cam are you referring to??

Scott, I use the Cavision shoulder mount with a Manfrotto Universal mount... This way I can swap it easily onto my Libec LS38 tripod with the same mount... Not ideal but works fine..... Camera is still very front heavy though!!!

Ray: Check out Boyd's post for info on the HDV shoulder cam...

I'm looking forward to this one..

regards
Gareth

Mark Utley May 22nd, 2007 04:37 PM

Regarding the "hidden surprises" to be revealed, I'm sure hoping for 4 channels of audio and TC in/out.

Scott Hayes May 29th, 2007 06:30 PM

I have held off on buying anything video and photo related short of an HD and some memory cards, specifically for this camera. I am all over it when it is announced. bye bye tape!

Ray Bell May 29th, 2007 07:34 PM

he he... Scott you better start buying those 500gb drives for archiving
before you get this cam.... :-)

Scott Hayes May 29th, 2007 10:15 PM

I did buy a couple of those this past week :-) too cheap to pass up.

Brian Standing June 4th, 2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith (Post 683794)
I can't help but feel that a 50mbit palmcorder would bastardize sales of their own corporate / lowend-pro cameras.

If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330.

Surely no company in their right mind would redirect potential customers to an item with a lower margin?

Unless Sony also releases an update to the F330 at the same time.

Greg Boston June 4th, 2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 691597)

It won't happen. Several design limitations involved there. The new PDW-F355 will have the dual layer disc, along with other enhancements, but still won't record 50mb 4:2:2. That is being reserved for the high end XDCAM HD with 2/3 sensors.

-gb-

Matt Davis June 4th, 2007 10:53 AM

With humble nod to Greg's reply - if only I could delete the following... <g>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Leith (Post 683794)
If this thing does record 4:2:2 50mbit then it will be a better camera than the (more expensive) F330

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 691597)

But even if they didn't, the F330's glass would be far superior, the form factor far more comfortable and the viewfinder way more useful. The 4:2:2 would be one more check box to match the HVX200 and demonstrate the ability to do chromakey at HD.

Having said that, I've heard that 35 Mbps 4:2:0 isn't as bad as it sounds - has anyone tried it?

Gabe Strong June 4th, 2007 12:24 PM

Not only is it "not bad", but from everything I've heard it is really, really good. There was an article somewhere reviewing the 330 and 350 and it was compared to the Varicam favorably. I haven't used it, but from reading what professionals say about it....well it sounds quite good.