Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit

Sony 35 and Sony 3D | CineTechnica

What's interesting to me is the 35mm unit, which they say will be affordable. I'd love to have an affordable 35mm HD camera, like the F35, but how affordable can it be?

Also, 3D from Sony is very much welcome!

Heath

ps-If someone is already talking about this, sorry! I just saw it moments ago.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Affordable huh? We'll see....
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Sony has a different viewpoint when it comes to "affordable."
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Trustee

price wise shouldn't be much higher than AF100, but you right, we'll see
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Exactly--affordable might be $10,000 without the lens, or even higher. At that point, a RED ONE is a better idea, probably.

Heath
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Space Hipster

I think a RED is a lot more than $10,000. If Sony can get this camera under 10 grand (which is the rumor), and give it a nice codec, it sounds like a real winner. Still, the Panny AF100 is listed at $4,995.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sony has the EX 35mbps, 4:2:0 codec. XDCAM HD422 would be sweet, tho!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

What I meant was, if it went higher, like $15,000, it wouldn't be worth it. I'd go RED ONE.

Heath
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have three questions regarding this 35mm camera. First, is this thing part of their NXCAM, HDCAM, XDCAM line? Secondly, to what media format does this thing record to, SXS, SDHC, SDHX, Hard Drive, Flash Drive? And finally, from the picture, this camera is not shoulder mounted so it looks like its meant to be handheld like the Z7 or EX1 but it looks too large and heavy. Any idea about the weight and dimensions of this camera?

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The price of this new Sony will be announced early next year, so all we can do now is to speculate about it. I´ve heard a lot of rumors - almost everything between $8000 and $50000 -, but we can be pretty sure it will be much more expensive than the AF-100 for example. Everything else would be a surprise because it´s highly unlikely Sony will use a consumer codec like AVCHD. This filmlike camcorder is aimed more at the "real" pro market - against RED Epic and ARRI Alexa, I presume. So it should end up in the Sony "Digital Cinematography" league, above XDCAM and HDCAM, where even $20000 would qualify as "affordable". To answer Ozzy´s second question: It will record to SxS cards (which is almost the only thing we know for sure about this thing at the moment).
Bernd Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
What I meant was, if it went higher, like $15,000, it wouldn't be worth it. I'd go RED ONE.

Heath
A Red is $25K in an unusable form. You need another @ $10K worth of bits and you still need lenses.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM   #11
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
A Red is $25K in an unusable form. You need another @ $10K worth of bits and you still need lenses.
Agreed.
Heath, you say if the Sony got close to $15,000, the RED is better. How can you know this? We have almost no info on the Sony cam. Its codec, lens mounts, media storage, all are still a mystery to the public. The Sony could be an incredible camera when all is said and done. And it will retail for under $10,000, or so some have been told.
I wouldn't toss it out in favor of a RED just yet. It may offer way more bang for the buck.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Alvarez View Post
I have three questions regarding this 35mm camera. First, is this thing part of their NXCAM, HDCAM, XDCAM line? Secondly, to what media format does this thing record to, SXS, SDHC, SDHX, Hard Drive, Flash Drive? And finally, from the picture, this camera is not shoulder mounted so it looks like its meant to be handheld like the Z7 or EX1 but it looks too large and heavy. Any idea about the weight and dimensions of this camera?

Keep in mind it's a digital cinema camera - not a camcorder, so even though it's got a similar form factor to the other you mention, it's designed to be used with stabilisers, tripods, jibs, dolly's etc and not handheld. Have you ever looked at a red one or even a 35mm cinema camera? They're basically just a box that you attach other stuff to.

I don't know if Sony has realeased any details yet on what codec/media it will use so it's too early to answer your other questions.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Good points all around. I guess I should watch what I say about RED, because I've never personally used the camera before. Those I know personally who have seem split down the middle on how the RED ONE really is. Plus, as you say, I'm looking at double what a $15,000 Sony 35mm sensor camera would cost (not including the costs of lenses, I'm guessing).

Given Sony's track record, and I'm a big fan of their cameras for the past six years, I'd say if the camera is going to be under $10,000 (without a lens), it will probably have the SxS technology. Compression will be higher than the F35, obviously, but it will be an affordable camera.

Heath
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #14
Inner Circle

At the release of the PMW-500 in NYC, Sony mentioned the 35mm camera. To quote one of the Sony employees, "The camera will be under $50K". Not sure if that means with full kit or just the camera head. I think they are so early with the development of this camera they don't know.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Agreed.
Heath, you say if the Sony got close to $15,000, the RED is better. How can you know this? We have almost no info on the Sony cam. Its codec, lens mounts, media storage, all are still a mystery to the public. The Sony could be an incredible camera when all is said and done. And it will retail for under $10,000, or so some have been told.
I wouldn't toss it out in favor of a RED just yet. It may offer way more bang for the buck.
While I would agree about this in regard to the R1, when the S35 Scarlet comes out it will be a slightly different situation. I doubt very seriously the codec they release the Sony with will match REDcode RAW, and I'm willing to bet it wont resolve at 3k-4k. I doubt the sensor will even approach the capabilites of Mystrerium X.

Mind you, and this has alwasy been the arguemnt against Scarlet, as of right now it's not available. But from what has been going around the red forums, it looks like the Epic will beat this sony to market, and the S35 Scarlet will be close in tow. A shoot-ready scarlet package will likely retail at around $15k

Sony isn't known for having the best priced cameras in their class...in fact theyre usually the opposite.

Scarlet or Panny would still win out in my book either way.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta