DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Cineroid or Zacuto EVF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/491725-cineroid-zacuto-evf.html)

Thierry Humeau February 13th, 2011 09:33 PM

Cineroid or Zacuto EVF

I am definetly planning to equip my F3 with an EVF. Any pros and cons between Zacuto's and Cineroid's?

Best,

T.

Ryan Hollings February 14th, 2011 01:11 PM

I can't tell you pros and cons between the 2 evf's you listed, however I can tell you the pros/cons of the cineroid, which I had.

Firstly, it works as advertised. Granted I didn't have a F3 to test on, I did a quick few tests on my dslr and my xbox (ha, thats the only 2 things I have with hdmi) and it worked great.

What I didn't like about it, is the mini hdmi, or hdmi for that matter. I know its been mentioned before, but for me, I had having to have adapters for this, adapters for that. I have no use for hdmi cables whatsoever. All I ever use is hd/sdi, and this is one more thing to carry, granted its just a cable, but again another thing to carry.
I didn't like the battery compartment, and the lack of the ability to use a d-tap power cable.
The battery was REALLY tight to get in/out, and it felt like it was going to snap the plastic body of the EVF. Again, going to my previous point, having additional batteries, chargers, etc = more things to carry.

What I opted for was the smallhd dp6 monitor. Granted its almost twice the price, this sure is a nice looking monitor. It is made from a block of alluminum, and has hdsdi in/out, as well as component.
What I really like about this, is that there is 1/4-20 mounting holes on the top and bottom, as well as the sides of the monitor, so you essentially can mount anywhere.
And of course it has the d-tap power cable to plug right in, so no need for extra batts and chargers, I can use my exsisting batteries.

I think I will plan to mount with a long enough arm to still be able to go hand held, if needed, with this monitor. I think it will work, or should I say, I will make it work. I purchased the sunshade as well, so it will work out nicely.

Anyways, hope that helps, if you want anymore info, I am around.

Ryan

Thierry Humeau February 14th, 2011 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback Ryan. I actually think Cineroid makes a dummy battery with a D-tap connector so that would resolve the battery issue. I'd love to see those two (Zac and Cin) together but at first look, the Cineroid appears less bulky than Zacuto's. Anyone can comment on the build quality? I know that as all with their product, Zacuto's will likely be high grade but I know nothing about Cineroid's products quality and support. I wish however that Cineroid had mounting holes at least on top and bottom... What were they thinking when they designed that thing?

T.

Ryan Hollings February 14th, 2011 05:55 PM

Something to add into the mix is the redrock micro VF as well.

Looks pretty darn nice as well.

Kirk Candlish February 17th, 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1618256)
What were they thinking when they designed that thing?

They were thinking let's get it to market and continue to develop it for version 2. Like everyone who's trying to jump on the HDSLR market.

Kirk Candlish February 17th, 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hollings (Post 1618179)
What I didn't like about it, is the mini hdmi, or hdmi for that matter.

Well you're obviously not their target market. It's designed for HDSLRs and that mandates HDMI.

Timur Civan February 20th, 2011 03:13 AM

I will be beta testing the Zacuto EVF in a few weeks. i'll of course share my findings.... :)

Andy Shipsides February 20th, 2011 09:54 PM

Re: Cineroid or Zacuto EVF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hollings (Post 1618179)
What I opted for was the smallhd dp6 monitor. Granted its almost twice the price, this sure is a nice looking monitor. It is made from a block of alluminum, and has hdsdi in/out, as well as component.
What I really like about this, is that there is 1/4-20 mounting holes on the top and bottom, as well as the sides of the monitor, so you essentially can mount anywhere.
And of course it has the d-tap power cable to plug right in, so no need for extra batts and chargers, I can use my exsisting batteries.
Ryan

We just started shipping the new 5.6" TVlogic monitor which has the same resolution as the SmallHD and packed full of even more features. Really a nice looking monitor to consider as well.

The Cineroid EVF could use a mounting point on top for sure, but I do like the feature set. No doubt Zacuto's will look good, but from the photos it looked to have the same issue.

Andy

Paul Richards February 21st, 2011 03:08 AM

Has anyone been able to mount a EVF Cineroid 4L on an F3 camera successfully? I saw some combination of RedRock Carbon tubes and spuds. All looked secure...if a little fugly.

Giuseppe Pugliese February 22nd, 2011 01:11 PM

I can't speak for the Zacuto EVF but I just used the Cineroid EVF and I have to say the quality was very poor. The image was very large which was nice, but so pixelated I couldn't judge focus at all. It was very blocky and essentially useless to me as a EVF without being able to see if the subject was in focus or not.

I was quite shocked to be honest. When you pull down the "loop" part of it, and look directly at the LCD screen, its a nice image. The LCD itself is beautiful, but with the actual loop eye piece, it just magnified everything way too much and the pixels were just blocky.

I will wait until something better comes along, for now, the cineroid is a no go for me.

Timur Civan February 22nd, 2011 03:07 PM

i agree. used one yesterday. Very bad for focus. only usefull as a framing monitor in an emergency. perhaps if the "magnification" wasnt as power ful it would be more tolerable to look at.

Andrew Stone February 22nd, 2011 03:48 PM

Grateful for this report Giuseppe & Timur. I had heard the diopter over magnified things.

It is going to be hard to tell when the Zacuto EVF will be shipping and we shouldn't forget that NAB is really not that far off and with it comes lots of surprise product announcements.

I haven't mentioned this before but if you are interested in an outdoor viewable monitor, one of the best deals on the market is the Marshall V-LCD651STX-3GSDI. It's more expensive than the other monitors mentioned but it stands up well to LCD Steadicam monitors that cost a LOT more. Here is a link to the Anton Bauer plated one on B&H:

Marshall Electronics V-LCD651STX-3GSDI-AB V-LCD651STX-3GSDI-AB

It doesn't have the scopes and some of the other goodies of the TV Logic. You are paying for the daylight viewability in this unit.