DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/492471-nikon-aps-c-lenses-cover-f-3-chip.html)

Leonard Levy March 1st, 2011 12:41 PM

Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip?

Has anyone tested Nikon APS-C lenses to see if they fully cover the chip on the F-3 yet. I'm particularly thinking of the in-demand lenses like the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikkor 17-55, etc?

Timur Civan March 1st, 2011 02:04 PM

Re: Nikon APS-C lenses cover F-3 chip?

I have a duclos PL 11-16. It covers just fine.

Ola Christoffersson March 1st, 2011 03:30 PM

So does my Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

Thierry Humeau March 1st, 2011 03:49 PM

No problem to report with Sigma's 17-50 EX DC F2.8. Just got my MTF Nikon adapter today. One issue though is that the lens should be rotated 45 more degrees counterclockwise. The sunhood looks a bit crinkled and I see it vignetting in top left and bottom right corner. I am wondering if there is an adjustment for the MTF adaptor that would allow the lens to be locked in further counterclockwise so the sunhood is leveled.

Thierry.

Jim Tittle March 2nd, 2011 07:05 AM

I've had my MTF adapter for a week now, and I've noticed the same thing with the lens hood. When you're shooting stills, it's easiest to look over the top of the camera to see the lens markings. When you're shooting video, it's usually better to have the scale on the side, so MTF appears to have taken this into account in their design. Unfortunately, tulip-style hoods, like the one on my 11x16mm, are then mis-aligned. I just twist the hood and keep it there with gaff tape. Crude, but effective. At least I'm not using duct tape....

Thierry Humeau March 2nd, 2011 07:51 AM

Yep, that is exactly the explanation I have been given by Mike Tapa at MTF. They did this so people could read lens markings easier. They are going to start making upright versions for people wanting to use wider zooms with tulip style sunhoods.

Thierry.

Jim Tittle March 2nd, 2011 08:09 AM

If you're using just DX-style lenses, without an external aperture ring, that type of adapter would be nice. In my case, I prefer it the way it is. The hood on the 11x16 stays attached when I orient it properly, it just doesn't lock.

On top of the fact that I can get nice shallow DOF with this camera, it's exciting to have access to such great wide angles, at low cost.

Ola Christoffersson March 2nd, 2011 02:46 PM

My biggest problem with the MTF-adapter is the very small aperture knob. But I have fixed it! Have a look at the quick and dirty solution here: www.kamrat.tv

Jim Tittle March 2nd, 2011 05:00 PM

Good God! That looks like something a Canadian would do. In other words, it's a wonderfully creative improvisation using low-cost materials. (And it looks like the end of an old hockey stick.)

I'll go hide now.

Bob Willis March 2nd, 2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Tittle (Post 1623582)
I've had my MTF adapter for a week now, and I've noticed the same thing with the lens hood. When you're shooting stills, it's easiest to look over the top of the camera to see the lens markings. When you're shooting video, it's usually better to have the scale on the side, so MTF appears to have taken this into account in their design. Unfortunately, tulip-style hoods, like the one on my 11x16mm, are then mis-aligned. I just twist the hood and keep it there with gaff tape. Crude, but effective. At least I'm not using duct tape....

Jim, try some paper camera tape and you might be even more pleased with the results.

Jim Tittle March 2nd, 2011 06:36 PM

Hopefully, through diligent perusal of this forum, I will reach that level of refinement...