DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   F3 with Vocas rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/492519-f3-vocas-rig.html)

Thierry Humeau March 2nd, 2011 11:17 AM

F3 with Vocas rig

I just posted on picasa a series of my F3 pics with Vocas rig fully pimped out in both, production and ENG configurations. There are a few details about the various components I used in the album details.

Here is the link to the Picasa F3 photo album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/telecam...ilmsWVocasRig#

Take care,

Thierry

Jim Tittle March 2nd, 2011 02:26 PM

Re: F3 with Vocas rig

Nice! Two questions: With multiple connections between the camera and the fluid head, does everything stay solid and properly aligned? Looks like you're rigged for handheld--what are you using for a viewfinder when you're off the tripod?

Thierry Humeau March 2nd, 2011 03:37 PM

Hi Jim,

Yes, even with the Manfrotto quickr elease plate sandwiched between the rig and tripod plate or camera and rig, it is very solid. (the Manfrotto 357 sliding plate is heavy but very sturdy). When off the tripod in ENG/Doco mode, I am just using the F3's eye piece in B&W mode with red peaking. In production mode, I mount a small 5" HDMI marshall monitor using a RAM arm attached to the 1/4" hole on top of the F3. Boy, what a great idea to have provided all these 1/4" mount holes on that camera. There are a total of 4.

Best,

Thierry.

Chuck Fishbein March 2nd, 2011 07:48 PM

Thierry,
Are you finding the viewfinder usable in B&W as described or are you still considering a Cineroid or other EVF?

Thierry Humeau March 2nd, 2011 08:40 PM

Chuck,

I am usually picky with viewfinders and although far from supreme, the F3 eyepiece in B&W mode combined with red peaking makes it really easy to nail focus. Then for exposure, I rely on the histogram (love it) and the LCD which is really good and accurate. That said and as long as I can integrate it to the camera pretty seamlessly, I am planning to add an EVF so I can totally re-balance the camera and have it sit on my shoulder. I do quite a bit of handheld filming and feel ill need the mod soon or later. This the way all great film cameras are designed and the F3 should be exeption.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Thierry

Chuck Fishbein March 2nd, 2011 09:42 PM

One more question. As you appear to have a standard BP-U60 battery in your photos, from where are you pulling power for your Marshall monitor? Or does it run on AAs?

Jim Tittle March 3rd, 2011 09:21 AM

Rig looks very stable with two handgrips, but I'm wondering how stable this is when you're focusing on the run, with only one hand on a grip. Or is someone pulling focus for you?

Leonard Levy March 3rd, 2011 10:12 AM

Have you tried the Vocas mattebox with wider lenses than the 35. I'm wondering how wide a lens can go on a 4x4.

Thierry Humeau March 3rd, 2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fishbein (Post 1623876)
One more question. As you appear to have a standard BP-U60 battery in your photos, from where are you pulling power for your Marshall monitor? Or does it run on AAs?

Yeah. Marshall can run off AAs or 9/12V external power.

T.

Thierry Humeau March 3rd, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1624068)
Have you tried the Vocas mattebox with wider lenses than the 35. I'm wondering how wide a lens can go on a 4x4.

The Vocas 255 matebox can accomodate 4x6 filter as well so, it should not be an issue with wider lenses.

Thierry.

Thierry Humeau March 3rd, 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Tittle (Post 1624036)
Rig looks very stable with two handgrips, but I'm wondering how stable this is when you're focusing on the run, with only one hand on a grip. Or is someone pulling focus for you?

In a production environment using primes, you'd definetely need a focus puller. An alternative would be to use an EVF and rebalance the camera so its body seats on your shoulder. You would then have to forgo Vocas's rubber shoulder pad and find a cushioning alternative so the Pro Rail Support does not hurt your shoulder (I am asking the Vocas guys to look into this....). For ENG style shooting using lighter lenses (less than 600g), I found that the best way to hold the rig is to have the left hand on the left rig handle and the right hand in the F3 grip handle. Pretty comfy and sturdy.

Thierry.

Jim Tittle March 3rd, 2011 01:42 PM

Body on the shoulder sounds like a nice alternative to me, as far as weight goes. I tried it on a monopod, with a squeezeball head, which has worked pretty well for me with lighter cameras, but the F3 is too heavy. It turns into a top-heavy lollipop.

Leonard Levy March 3rd, 2011 02:14 PM

Does it accomodate a horizontal or vertical 4x6 filter?
Vertical won't affect wide angle lenses and the actual size of the matte box is usually the limiting factor. Have you tried with wider lenses?

Thierry Humeau March 3rd, 2011 09:23 PM

Horizontal. The 255 matebox is specially taylored for Zeiss CP.2 and Sony primes lenses and nicely clip right on the indented edge of the lenses. I don't have anything wider than 35mm at this moment but I am pretty sure it will be fine for quite wider focal lens but you could always drop a message with Vocas, they have been quite responsive. VOCAS SYSTEMS BV

Thierry.

Andy Shipsides March 3rd, 2011 10:26 PM

Glad you got a rig Thierry, and nice to see the Vocas on the F3, we need to get one on demo. Do you normally operate off the Marshall monitor?

Shameless link..

Vocas Pro Rail DV Support 15mm :: Adapter Plates :: Components :: Matteboxes & Components :: Lens Accessories :: Lenses & Lens Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

Vocas MB-255 Mattebox Kit :: Mattebox Kits :: Matteboxes & Components :: Lens Accessories :: Lenses & Lens Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech