DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Far Red (IR) on F3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/493648-far-red-ir-f3.html)

Leonard Levy March 26th, 2011 08:25 PM

Far Red (IR) on F3

Contrary to the suggestion in the "Provideo Coalition" test on the F3 vs Alexa FS100 etc, I found Far Red contamination in this camera to look quite minor. I compared it to my EX-1 on the worst offender in my closet, something that goes quite maroon on the EX-1. While there was a hint of color in the F3 image it was not in the same universe as the EX-1. It did clear up completely with the T1 though, but in most cases I’m not sure I would worry about it much. Considering how many supposedly technically astute people I’ve argued with who don’t seem to be bothered by it even on an EX-1 ( and who can’t bother to spring $70 on a T1) I don’t think its too serious.
Of course I will buy another T1 for the camera myself.
As usual I didn’t see any problems compounded by the in-camera ND’s nor my own B+W and Heliopan’s but I only looked quickly at that.

Dean Harrington March 27th, 2011 04:55 PM

Re: Far Red (IR) on F3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1632048)
Contrary to the suggestion in the "Provideo Coalition" test on the F3 vs Alexa FS100 etc, I found Far Red contamination in this camera to look quite minor. I compared it to my EX-1 on the worst offender in my closet, something that goes quite maroon on the EX-1. While there was a hint of color in the F3 image it was not in the same universe as the EX-1. It did clear up completely with the T1 though, but in most cases I’m not sure I would worry about it much. Considering how many supposedly technically astute people I’ve argued with who don’t seem to be bothered by it even on an EX-1 ( and who can’t bother to spring $70 on a T1) I don’t think its too serious.
Of course I will buy another T1 for the camera myself.
As usual I didn’t see any problems compounded by the in-camera ND’s nor my own B+W and Heliopan’s but I only looked quickly at that.

Thanks for that look-see on IR ... I have asked this question several times and you are the first to comment. I certainly find the IR problem to be pronounced in my EX3 when doing events with multiple speakers! They enviably where black and the contamination is a bitch to get rid of without compromising image quality. The T1 does do the job but I've misplaced mine and will have to get another!

Leonard Levy March 27th, 2011 05:22 PM

Re: Far Red (IR) on F3

Thanks,
I tested this very carefully with the EX-1 and was with Art Adams and the Tiffen rep when we convinced him they needed to design a filter specifically for the EX which became the T1.

I was very happy to see it wasn't as bad.