DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   The quest for a better EVF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/494067-quest-better-evf.html)

Thierry Humeau April 4th, 2011 07:29 AM

The quest for a better EVF

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my own mockup of a F3 with an improved viewfinder, it sure makes sense. This added to a nice shoulder pad with Sony camera plate mount would be even better.

Thierry.

Dave Sperling April 4th, 2011 08:16 AM

Re: The quest for a better EVF

Which also creates a nice possible accessory I haven't noticed yet (which maybe someone else has) which is a combination shoulder pad that has a standard Sony Plate mount for a Tripod plate, and has the option of adding rods out the front (and perhaps out the back as well?) -- of course with a little bit of slide room for the shoulder pad.
Guess I'll be looking for this at NAB

Jim Tittle April 4th, 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1635109)
Here is my own mockup of a F3 with an improved viewfinder, it sure makes sense. This added to a nice shoulder pad with Sony camera plate mount would be even better.

Thierry.

Very nice.

Chuck Fishbein April 4th, 2011 09:56 AM

That would work for me, as well. Perhaps that will be on the F4

Thierry Humeau April 4th, 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Sperling (Post 1635123)
Which also creates a nice possible accessory I haven't noticed yet (which maybe someone else has) which is a combination shoulder pad that has a standard Sony Plate mount for a Tripod plate, and has the option of adding rods out the front (and perhaps out the back as well?) -- of course with a little bit of slide room for the shoulder pad.
Guess I'll be looking for this at NAB

Bingo. That is exactly what I am thinking about and yes, rods in the back as well for adding larger battery and outboard recorder support.

T.

Andrew Stone April 4th, 2011 10:06 AM

Nice mockup Thierry. Wouldn't that be nice. Have you found the missing connector on the body for the EVF?

Ben Ruffell April 4th, 2011 02:38 PM

Well, here's hoping that the F5 comes out... just as the EX1 had the EX3 on it's heels.

(Sony engineers really need to spend sometime on a working set).

Dean Harrington April 5th, 2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1635109)

Thierry.

Nicely done ... one wonders why the sony designers didn't come up with this!

John Cummings April 5th, 2011 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CVP in the UK was showing this mockup on an AF101 at IBC. I think its based on a design by the German firm Kinomatik that makes the Movietube systems. It has a black box that converts HDMI or SDI to a 20 pin Sony VF socket. More info here: KINOMATIK - technology for motion pictures

I have that VF and would love to see this system produced.

Nigel Akam April 5th, 2011 09:46 AM

Thanks for the post John. Just saw on their website that they had a new one for the F3 called the CR, but no mention of North American distributers. Will have to check this out at NAB

John Cummings April 5th, 2011 11:41 AM

Funny thing is, the pic from the IBC show clearly features a Movietube shoulder rig with a Sony HDVF, while the Kinomatik website shows only a rendering of the new CR product with a Cineroid VF. I contacted CVP (a Movietube distributor) and they didn't seem to have a clue.

Not sure where that leaves us, but perhaps NAB will clear things up a bit.

Thierry Humeau April 6th, 2011 05:07 PM

Looks like it is coming sooner that I thought it would. Cineroid's new EVF Pro Metal with various HDMI and HD-SDI I/Os looks very good:

DSLR News Shooter | Cineroid announce EVF Metal range with options for HD-SDI input and output

Thierry.

David C. Williams April 6th, 2011 05:35 PM

The current Cineroid is almost useless thanks to a very poor diopter. CA and uneven focus, it's more like a cheap plastic magnifying glass. Hopefully they've fixed that.

Andrew Stone April 6th, 2011 05:40 PM

Any sense Thierry as to when the metal one with HD-SDI connectors will ship?

John Cummings April 6th, 2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1636214)
The current Cineroid is almost useless thanks to a very poor diopter. CA and uneven focus, it's more like a cheap plastic magnifying glass. Hopefully they've fixed that.

That's why I'd rather have a crisp, professional monochrome VF to use on the F3 over a crappy color one. Having used b/w viewfinders for 30 years, I wouldn't feel all that lost without color.

I haven't seen the Cineroid in person yet, but one definately hears mixed reviews. And what's up with the Zacuto...seems like they've borrowed a page from the RED playbook.