DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   F3 Viewfinder color (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/494567-f3-viewfinder-color.html)

Ron Wilk April 14th, 2011 09:24 AM

F3 Viewfinder color

I realize that there have been numerous posts regarding the F3's VF. That said, I just received an F3L and have a question regarding a noted color/tint differential between what is seen on the LCD—which appears close in color to the subject matter—and the VF, which appears to have a slight reddish overtone to it when compared to the LCD and the subject matter. And, yes, the camera was white and black balanced but no PPs have been set.

While it is understood that the VF is to be used—hopefully— for focusing and exposure determination in conjunction with Zebras and possibly the histogram, I am wondering whether anyone else has noticed this differential, or if there is a defect in my unit?

Aaron Newsome April 14th, 2011 11:21 AM

Re: F3 Viewfinder color

This is the first camera I've had with a color viewfinder. I've gotten used to not paying attention to the color in the VF I guess. The b/w viewfinders are definitely easier to focus too.

Ron Wilk April 14th, 2011 11:32 AM

Understood, and with this camera I plan to do the same. However, since it is just out of the box, I am trying to determine if the color differential is a normal characteristic of the VF or if it is defective.

Thierry Humeau April 14th, 2011 11:42 AM

I found the F3 LCD to actually be quite accurate so, I'd put much more trust in the LCD than in the viewfinder. As with the EX1R, the viewfinder factory setting is way too contrasty and I set mine to +30. Looking forward at getting the Pro version of the Cineroid with HD-SDI I/Os.

Thierry.

Ron Wilk April 14th, 2011 01:09 PM

Hi Thiery,
Thank you for your input. Am I therefore to assume that the color difference that I've noticed is normal for this cam's VF?

You mentioned that you turned down the contrast on the VF, did you mean to -30 as opposed to the +30 noted in your post?

In regards to the soon to be released HDSI version of the Cineroid VF, do you know if they have resolved the excessive magnification issue that many have described in re the original model?

Thierry Humeau April 14th, 2011 03:34 PM

Ron,

Yes, +30 on the brighteness. As with EX1R, the viewfinder factory setting is very contrasty and the black are crushed and not showing you much latitude. With +30 for the viewfinder brighteness settings, the image is much closer to reality in regard to blacks. I see mixed reviews on the Cineroid, I guess I will have to test it on my own to make a decision. Aside from critics, this is to me, now, the most attractive third party EVF option. I would also love to see RedRockMicro MicorEVF come to market but they have been very muted on this product lately to the point that I am wondering if it is still being developped. The F3 accessories market is going to be quite exciting but also very competitive so, at the end, it can only be a very good thing for us, F3 users. I like Zacuto's products but their viewfinder lacking HD-SDI makes it totally unappealing for the ruggedness and reliability I need for field use. They now say it will eventually happens but at 1,000 bucks for the HDMI version, how much can they really charge for the HD-SDI option?

Best,

Thierry.

Ron Wilk April 14th, 2011 03:46 PM

Thanks for clarifying.
Well, I guess they're appealing to the DSLR crowd, in regards to HDMI. But I agree, SDI would make more sense for F3 users and the like. A $1000.00 seems a bit much for an HDMI VF, but then again, Zacuto's products. despite their generally high quality, have always been priced within the stratosphere.

Bruce Rawlings April 15th, 2011 04:34 AM

I think I saw mention of a Sony viewfinder somewhere at NAB but no one has picked up on it so I must have imagined it.

Leonard Levy April 15th, 2011 11:12 AM

Sony had an experimental rig on an F3 that attached to 2 screws on the body and supported their viewfinder over the flip out. It was a bit of a bear and you couldn't close the door with it. But at least they clearly know they screwed up