DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   removing the F3 viewfinder ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/494698-removing-f3-viewfinder.html)

Dean Harrington April 17th, 2011 05:08 PM

removing the F3 viewfinder ...

I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a way to remove the dinky viewfinder on the back of the F3. I saw a cheese plate via NAB fitted on the top of an F3 and didn't see the viewfinder hanging off the back-end ... so there must be a way to do so without breaking the camera piece. Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Brian Drysdale April 18th, 2011 12:13 AM

Re: removing the F3 viewfinder ...

Andy Shipsides might tell you, since it was on their stand. Although, it mightn't be good for your Sony warranty, rental companies tend to to do these things because it's less of an issue to them and offers what their clients want. Panavision have been Panavising for years.

Nate Weaver April 18th, 2011 12:34 AM

Dean,

It's easy. And reversable. But I haven't done mine for fear of warrantee issues...I want the camera to make it 4-6 months without issues before I do surgery.

Basically, it involves taking half the handle apart to split the hinge, and then unplugging a flat printed circuit connector that terminates at the base of the handle at the rear. The FPC cable can take only about 10 mating cycles, so you want to be careful.

More of these FPC connectors connect the rest of the do-dads in the handle, and that's why the ET cheeseplate seen at NAB was a relatively easy mod.

Dean Harrington April 18th, 2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver (Post 1640198)
Dean,

It's easy. And reversable. But I haven't done mine for fear of warrantee issues...I want the camera to make it 4-6 months without issues before I do surgery.

Basically, it involves taking half the handle apart to split the hinge, and then unplugging a flat printed circuit connector that terminates at the base of the handle at the rear. The FPC cable can take only about 10 mating cycles, so you want to be careful.

More of these FPC connectors connect the rest of the do-dads in the handle, and that's why the ET cheeseplate seen at NAB was a relatively easy mod.

Thanks Nate,
I'll check it out carefully ... was just curious at this point since it certainly needs to be done to put that cheese plate on the camera. I've done mods to my other cameras before and and just as you said ... usually after a period of time when I know I have the bugs worked out and don't have to run to Sony anytime soon. I'd even ask Sony to do it if that wouldn't kill the warrantee.

Brian Drysdale April 18th, 2011 01:20 AM

Strangely, the FS100 has all the accessory mounting screw holes that you expect to find on the F3. In some ways these cameras' design features are the reverse of what you'd expect on a particular model..

Dean Harrington April 18th, 2011 06:41 AM

the FS100 sure has modularity built into the model. Love the number of connections on the bottom.