DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/494800-watch-first-sony-f3-s-log-footage-here.html)

Alister Chapman April 20th, 2011 01:54 PM

Re: Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here!

I think S-Log will be a steep learning curve, trying to figure out exactly how to expose correctly given the very flat looking unprocessed S-Log image or the reduced latitude LUT applied images.

Nate Weaver April 20th, 2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1641212)
I think S-Log will be a steep learning curve, trying to figure out exactly how to expose correctly given the very flat looking unprocessed S-Log image or the reduced latitude LUT applied images.

My experience shooting Red since 2008 would be the opposite. I can see why you'd want to be precise about it, after all that's what we all strive for. But my experience, in practice, has been that 10bit log video and RAW (and yes, I've worked with them a bunch) are much more forgiving and in the end, provide means to create happy accidents in post with color correction ('oh, I wonder what it would have looked like if I had shot that 3600K instead of 3200? Ah, nice!')

If you're really concerned, you monitor with a LUT while shooting and then you're always VERY pleasantly surprised in post just how much more shadow and highlight detail there is to work with.

The Red, unless you are monitoring "RAW", always has a LUT applied. You work with that on, and then when you're really concerned about whether that highlight detail is truly holding, you bump into "Raw" monitoring for a sec to see where the highlights really are. It's almost always a nice surprise when you do that.

In other words, you light or expose for the worst case scenario (the LUT applied, latitude trancated), knowing there's a (not small, in my opinion) safety buffer in how the S-Log really looks.

Timur Civan April 20th, 2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar (Post 1641154)
What ISO was used?

the sunlight stuff is 800 ISO, the night stuff is 3200

Jason Bodnar April 20th, 2011 09:21 PM

Thanks! Amazing!

Aaron Newsome April 21st, 2011 12:31 PM

Sony's Facebook page says their S-log tests are the worlds first footage. I wonder who really was first.

Mark OConnell April 21st, 2011 04:27 PM

It would be a lot more useful as a comparison if the S-Log AND native XDCAM recordings were both properly exposed.

Dave Sperling April 21st, 2011 04:44 PM

And of course would be most interesting to see a comparison where the SxS recording is graded to match as closely as possible the S-Log footage.

Andy Shipsides April 21st, 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome (Post 1640891)
Hi Timur. Didn't Andy Shipsides also say that he got the S-log upgrade on his F3 at NAB?

Great job Timur. Glad I could help on the project.

Andy