DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Outputting histogram and zebra (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/496944-outputting-histogram-zebra.html)

Pieter de Vries June 9th, 2011 06:41 AM

Outputting histogram and zebra

I can't see a way to output the histogram and zebra stripes to an external monitor via the SD or HDMI outputs. Other LCD monitor/viewfinder status indications can be displayed on an external monitor via SDI, but this does not seem to include the histogram and zebra stripes, at least in V1.10

This would appear to be a necessity if I want to use a TVLogic external viewfinder and not have to constantly and refer to the LCD monitor/viewfinder on the camera. Any ideas?

Doug Jensen June 9th, 2011 08:03 AM

Re: Outputting histogram and zebra

Can't be done.
In fact, the only camera that I have ever used that can do that is the F800. Even the 700 can't output zebra.

Ola Christoffersson June 9th, 2011 03:40 PM

The same goes for peaking, right? That's one of the reasons I am surpriced that people are so keen on getting EVF:s and large external monitors. I have not seen any other peaking feature as good on external monitors. Anybody who has?

Andrew Stone June 9th, 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 1657055)
I have not seen any other peaking feature as good on external monitors. Anybody who has?

The Marshall I am using is pretty good, the 651STX. There is peaking and there is also a noise reduction feature to remove detail (and noise) which can but not necessarily improve the peaking function. Also if you use false colour along with peaking you can sometimes improve the peaking results.

I wish the F3 had variable peaking like the EX3 which I find extraordinarily useful. I am surprised Sony doesn't have variable peaking on all their cameras. Once you use it, it is hard to think of doing without.

Ola Christoffersson June 9th, 2011 11:18 PM

But peaking IS variable on the F3. You can set it to low, mid or high. Or do you mean in more steps? Is the EX3 continous?

Andrew Stone June 10th, 2011 01:23 AM

Hi Ola,

The EX3 has a knob on the backside of the EVF that allows you to dial in exactly the amount of peaking you want. Really useful when you are dealing with subject matter where the peaking won't show up as easily or you have to back it off as the peaking is picking up too much. You can adjust it in an instant and ride the control knob during scene changes.

Pieter de Vries June 10th, 2011 01:56 AM

TVLogic's VFM-056W viewfinder/monitor has a peaking option that is as good as the F3's

Leonard Levy June 10th, 2011 09:41 PM

I've consistently found the peaking on an EX-1 much more sensitive to adjustment even with only 3 steps than the supposedly variable EX-3. Trouble with the EX-3 is it is impossible to dial down as much as the EX-1 even at mid. Its either off or on too much. Too much peaking is useless. Perfect example is the Panny BTLH-80W. The TVLogic's VFM-056W is very good with a wide adjustment range.

I find the F3 flip out screen difficult because it stops functioning during movement. Much harder to focus with than the EX-1. I assume the circuit is the same though and its just the lower DOF that makes it hard. I keep my TVLogic mounted on the F3 at all times.

Actually the rear screen on the F3 allows you to set the screen a B/W but still maintain color peaking so it stands out. Problem is the viewfinder sucks. I wish you could do that with the flip out and turn it on and off with a user button.

James Houk June 12th, 2011 09:58 AM

It would be *incredibly* industrious, but what would be super cool is if in conjunction with one of the upcoming top plate mods, the wiring for the removed rear EVF was cabled to provide a proper professional Sony EVF output.

I wonder exactly how proprietary the EVF signal feed is...