DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony F3 Picture profile (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/501882-sony-f3-picture-profile.html)

Rudy Wilms October 22nd, 2011 12:23 PM

Sony F3 Picture profile

what is the best picture profile for cinelook?

David C. Williams October 22nd, 2011 03:18 PM

Re: Sony F3 Picture profile

How long is a piece of string :) No "best", just more optimal for different situations or post paths.

Try these- F3 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica

Alister Chapman October 23rd, 2011 07:21 AM

Here's one I created, that gives a pretty neutral look reducing the ever present yello cast that the Sony cameras have.

All setting default except:

Matrix Level +5
R-G -2
R-B +9
G-R -11
G-B +2
B-R -16
B-G -10
Black Gamma -10
Detail Off
Gamma: CineGamma 3

Henry Epstein October 23rd, 2011 09:37 AM

Thank you, Alister...

Your inputs are always very welcome!

Cheers!

Andy Shipsides October 23rd, 2011 10:50 AM

I have a couple more up my sleeve that I should be posting soon. Alister's matrix settings are very nice btw.

Henry Epstein October 23rd, 2011 11:52 AM

Glad to hear that, Andy...

Your F3 profiles are REALLY superb!

Thank you.

Rudy Wilms October 23rd, 2011 01:24 PM

I did just some test with Alister Chapman settings it looks great.

Thanks Alister Chapman

Ned Soltz October 23rd, 2011 03:20 PM

Thanks, Alister

I'll look forward to testing yours.

And anxious to check out Andy's new recipes!

Ned Soltz

Chuck Fishbein October 26th, 2011 08:28 PM

Alister!

Used your profile today. Excellent results!

Thanks

Alister Chapman October 29th, 2011 07:41 AM

Thanks guys. I have another that I'm just tweaking that dramatically reduces saturation banding in highlights and gives smooth highlight handling.

Henry Epstein October 29th, 2011 11:35 AM

+1 Alister!

H

Dennis Hingsberg November 1st, 2011 03:04 PM

Ah two great guys in one place!

Andy and Alister now that I gotcha, can you guys tell me what cinegamma would work best under this outdoor situation: late afternoon on a beach, blue sky possibly with some clouds, light sand, dark lake water. Subjects have light dark skin that I'd probably expose around 50. Most of the shots will be medium and close up with any part of the beach, water and sky in the background. (nightmare contrast-wise)

I did some testing this weekend using cine3 and the footage looks way too bright. I used the histogram to gauge exposure and tried some grading in post but it just doesn't look great to me. Maybe I still over exposed it, I don't know. It seems real hard to resist shooting in Rec709 since it seems to make the nicest image in the LCD when shooting - but I want to maximize what I can capture and adjust later in post.

I also plan on using several fill reflectors and overhead fabrics if needed, but generally using overheads result in even more brighter backgrounds.

Would appreciate your advice - the only time I worked on a beach before was for photo shoots and I was using several flash heads. For this video shoot there is no option of using HMI and I wondered if cinegammas would be of any help.

Christoph Gelfand February 16th, 2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1692375)
Thanks guys. I have another that I'm just tweaking that dramatically reduces saturation banding in highlights and gives smooth highlight handling.

Alister- did you ever release the updated profile? Sorry to re-open old thread...