Sony F3, or PMW 500, PDW 700/800 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: Sony F3, or PMW 500, PDW 700/800

Hi Mike,

Just a couple of comments and then I am happy to let this thread fade out.

First, the F800 and 700 are essentially the same camera as far as picture quality is concerned, so whatever you think about the 700 you can also say about F800. Second, even though you haven't noticed it, take my word for it that the rolling shutter problem on the 350 is much more severe than any of the other EX camcorders. For example, when tracking a moving subject such as a bike rider, you can really see buildings, poles, trees, etc. to be skewed. Maybe not as bad as an SLR, but very different from the EX1/EX3. If you're mainly shooting interiors, that is probably why you haven't noticed it. But it is there, and it doesn't look good. A friend of mine tried to use a 350 for helicopter shooting and found it completely unacceptable. But an EX1 was fine.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Trustee

I now think the camera you need is the one that the job requires. Years ago I would have thought differently.
I own a 500 and have to say I love the image I get out of this. I use the 500 from chasing Off Road Racing cars through the bush and dirt, right through to shooting TVC's in controlled situations.

The image out of the 500 always amazes me even when I thought that I missed out on the shoot.
These days I'll reach for DSLR, Gopro, EX, small handy cam, what ever I need for the situation although the 500 is my primary camera for most of the shoots that I do, the others listed are most suitable where the 500 cannot fit into, such as tight places etc....

Cheers

Last edited by Simon Denny; November 22nd, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Although I see the advantages of owning a F3, I think a native shoulder mount PMW 500 would suit me best. I’m basically a one man band, I need Fast Focus, Fast set-up… Run & Gun Style. Although I appreciate everyone’s opinions, suggestions, & equipment preference. Dennis Dillion’s detailed explanation of the various uses of both cameras (F3, F800) helped with my decision. Once again, Thank you all!
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:19 AM   #19
Trustee

I have to say that a shoulder mount is for me the quickest and most comfortable way to shoot. The stability I can get along with with moving my body in certain way I would never get from a small EX series or DSLR. The cameras cost a small fortune along with and all the extras needed but for me this is heaven.
Yet again I'm loving the PMW500 more every day and I have a very flat image out of the camera. Don't forget I'm a massive fan of the CCD block, it has a certain look that I like over CMOS.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:36 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Hi Samer,
Unfortunately, I can't download your attached file, and even if I could, I have nothing that will play a WMV file. Can you post something at Vimeo?
Hi Doug,thank you for posting,I have to say that a few weeks ago I have done a job where I was one of three cameraman with my PMW-350 and Nanoflash for 50mbs Xdcam HD 422 recording, the other two were the 700 and I must admit that there was BIG difference..the 700's looked much better. That is a fact.
Trell, I think you made the right decision, the PMW-500 got advantages of both 700 and Ex series, I wish it was out when I bought my PMW-350, I would certainly chosen the 500..anyway, good luck.
Doug, if you still interested (or anyone else) here is a link to Vimeo :
where you can see a few shots I put together from my PMW-350.SXS recording 35mbs,No grading.some interlaced other progressive!!!
Peter, thanks ,you are right.
Samer
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:28 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Hi Samer,

Of course I'm still interested. Thank you very much for taking the time to post the footage. I think it is the very best 350 footage I have ever seen. Very nice. It shows that in the right hands, even a camera that might not be perfect can still provide nice results. It doesn't make me completely change my opinion about the 350, but it does soften it a little bit. Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:23 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Well, that made my day-:) ...thank you Doug
Samer
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Trell you can't go wrong with the 500 I miss mine every day but I need to have a camera that matches the contract pay.

I would look at the Fujinon ZA lens. If you hand pick the lens the ZA they are excellent. Too bad you just missed out on mine that went last week. I do have the C35W color VF at an amazing price that works perfect with the 500, 700, 800, F3 if interested.

Also I would go for two 64GB SxS-1 cards. Worry free shooting all day.

Samer nice to see your footage and your understanding of the camera picture difference with the CCD cameras.

Hey Simon,
Glad the 500 is still working out well for you. Have Fun Mate
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Dennis really nailed the pros and cons of each camera. I did a behind the scenes on a movie set last week... used my F3 for interviews and EX-3 for B-roll. I would have preferred to use my PDW-700 for the B-roll. After shooting for 25+ years with "real" shoulder mounted cameras all the rest seem like a cruel compromise in terms of ergonomics.
I am still waiting for someone to make a EVF with resolution greater than 800X640. More compromises...
To make the F3 a run and gun camera by having a zoom doesn't really work.. sometimes a 2/3" chip is exactly what you want... and a real viewfinder, and a shoulder mount ... all built into the camera.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer Aslan View Post
Hi Doug,thank you for posting,I have to say that a few weeks ago I have done a job where I was one of three cameraman with my PMW-350 and Nanoflash for 50mbs Xdcam HD 422 recording, the other two were the 700 and I must admit that there was BIG difference..the 700's looked much better. That is a fact.
Trell, I think you made the right decision, the PMW-500 got advantages of both 700 and Ex series, I wish it was out when I bought my PMW-350, I would certainly chosen the 500..anyway, good luck.
Doug, if you still interested (or anyone else) here is a link to Vimeo : sample clips from PMW-350 on Vimeo where you can see a few shots I put together from my PMW-350.SXS recording 35mbs,No grading.some interlaced other progressive!!!
Peter, thanks ,you are right.
Samer
are you shooting with the stock fujinon lens Samer?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Yes,but not only the stock lens,I use very often my old fujinon sd wide angle lens..if the client asks for an HD wide angle lens (paying jobs $$$ only!!) I usually rent it for the job. I think that more than 60% of shots seen on Vimeo (my sample clips from PMW-350) was done with my old sd wide angle, lots of interviews with stock lens.
Samer
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #27
Trustee

Hey Paul,

loving the 500 and putting it the some tough conditions here in OZ. Mate I have a new show that I'm shooting, producing an editing and this camera is ripping it apart.

Shame you had to let go of yours man.

Cheers
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Great news,

Send me an email to your new show, would love to check it out.

Yea, it was hard to move away from the 500. Never know by summer, contracts could change again if they pay the difference.

Late spring in OZ must be nice?
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #29
Trustee

Hi Paul,
My new show is Wild Wheels TV. This is shot, edited etc... all by me and is focused on Off Road Motor Sports. I'm using loads of Gopros for the in car shots along with the 500. The conditions can get very rough with loads of dust, rain and extreme heat.

Here is a link: WildWheelsTV's Channel - YouTube
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Major Player

Here in UK it looks as if the 500 is fast becoming the standard freelance camera. Advanced bookings from various clients for the Olympics stipulate XDCAM SxS 50mbits.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta