DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   S-log and outputs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/504099-s-log-outputs.html)

Ron Wilk January 4th, 2012 05:16 PM

S-log and outputs

I just installed the S-Log upgrade, and although my memory could be faulty, I seem to recall a post that explained how the user managed to obtain simultaneous signal from both the SDI and HDMI ports of the F3 (a search proved fruitless). Is this even possible with Version 1.2 firmware, and if not, is it anticipated that Version 1.3 will allow same?
Thank you in advance.

Steve Kimmel January 4th, 2012 08:05 PM

Re: S-log and outputs

I think there's a menu option for this (under VIDEO SET). You have to have Dual-link and Gamma off though.

Ron Wilk January 4th, 2012 08:32 PM

Both outputs can be active without S-Log engaged. The goal is to achieve the same with S-Log.

Doug Jensen January 4th, 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1707452)
IIs this even possible with Version 1.2 firmware

Nope. Not possible.
Not sure about 1.3 and I wouldn't want to speculate until it is actually released.

PMW-F3 S-LOG & External Recorders Test Drive

Chris Medico January 4th, 2012 09:58 PM

You can only have one selected (Monitor SDI or HDMI) when in S-LOG mode.

You can see all the output combination possible on page 35 of the Supplemental Operating Instructions which can be found on the "Resources" tab of the F3 page on Sony's website (Sony Product Detail Page PMWF3L).

Ron Wilk January 5th, 2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1707491)
Nope. Not possible.
Not sure about 1.3 and I wouldn't want to speculate until it is actually released.

PMW-F3 S-LOG & External Recorders Test Drive

Unfortunately, I agree. The advance info in re ver 1.3 is quite vague in that regard. If the new firmware fails to open the HDMI spout along with SDI, I may have to replace my Zacuto EVF with the new SDI Cineroid or, in the alternative, an SDI recorder with an HDMI output. In regards to the new SDI Cineroid, has anyone actually had the opportunity to try one with the F3? If so, how does its screen compare to the Zacuto?

Doug Jensen January 5th, 2012 09:32 AM

Ron, I may find myself in the same situation as you for switching viewfinders.

I haven't tried the SDI version of the Cineroid, but last summer when I compared the HDMI Cineroid side-by-side on the same camera to the Zacuto, there was no comparison at all. The Zacuto looked way better and that's the one I bought. I would not look forward to switching viewfinders, so hopefully Sony will get the firmware right and I continue using the Zacuto.

Steve Kimmel January 5th, 2012 09:55 AM

According to Sony (Sony | Showcase

"v1.30 - FREE update
Link A HD-SDI will be enabled for 4:2:2 output, this has been a strong feature request from end users of the camcorder, the ability to have both 4:2:2 outputs enabled, one for S-Log and the other for the monitoring LUT. In addition to 4:2:2 Link A output, S-Log 4:2:2 1080 50/59.94p output on Dual-Link or 3G-SDI will also be enabled"

- No timeframe listed on their website.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but Andy Shipside at Abel just tweeted (https://twitter.com/#!/AndyShipsides): "This just in.. a new EVF coming in 2012 from a great monitor company."

So maybe a new SDI solution coming on the EVF front?

Doug Jensen January 5th, 2012 10:35 AM

Steve,

The changes in the SDI output capabilities are welcome improvements, but that quote doesn't address the simultaneous HDMI output issue which is a bigger deal for me. Why didn't Sony just put a decent VF on the camera in the first place? Think of how much time and energy has been wasted on this whole issue.

Mike Marriage January 5th, 2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1707567)
Why didn't Sony just put a decent VF on the camera in the first place?

Couldn't agree more, or at least VF connector, that way they could also cash in on selling high end VFs!

Hopefully an "F5" or similar will soon be released that deals with the ergonomic issues of the F3. 10 bit recording onboard would be nice too! :)

Doug Jensen January 5th, 2012 11:52 AM

Well, they aren't exactly cashing in on selling external VF's because there's no good way to connect them, power them, and feed them a correct signal. If that was Sony's goal (I"m sure it was not) then they failed miserably. Don't worry, it will be addressed in the next model that builds upon the F3's weaknesses. It's the Sony way of doing things: The EX1 . . . and then the EX3 and EX1R. The PDW-700 . . . and then the F800. Standby for a F7 or F3R or something like that to be announced at or before NAB. It's pretty easy to guess what will be improved upon and what will remain the same.

Steve Kimmel January 5th, 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1707567)
Steve,

The changes in the SDI output capabilities are welcome improvements, but that quote doesn't address the simultaneous HDMI output issue which is a bigger deal for me. Why didn't Sony just put a decent VF on the camera in the first place? Think of how much time and energy has been wasted on this whole issue.

I agree! For me though I would mostly use EVF for handheld and then the VF is in the wrong place.

Ron Wilk January 5th, 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1707558)
Ron, I may find myself in the same situation as you for switching viewfinders.

I haven't tried the SDI version of the Cineroid, but last summer when I compared the HDMI Cineroid side-by-side on the same camera to the Zacuto, there was no comparison at all. The Zacuto looked way better and that's the one I bought. I would not look forward to switching viewfinders, so hopefully Sony will get the firmware right and I continue using the Zacuto.

Hi Doug,
I have yet to try the new Cineroid, and would be loathe to discard my Zacuto, but Sony has put us in a real bind in this regard. Perhaps there will be something of interest, vis-a-vis a new SDI fed EVF. Absent that option, I'm not sure how I will resolve the issue. But I would be interested to hear back if you happen upon the new SDI Cineroid. If they've improved upon the loupe magnification issue, assuming nothing appears on the near horizon that appears more appropriate, it might be the only logical choice.

Peter Corbett January 5th, 2012 03:36 PM

I wonder what happened to the Sony LCD Tube viewfinder that was shown at NAB last year?

Steve Kimmel January 5th, 2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel (Post 1707599)
I agree! For me though I would mostly use EVF for handheld and then the VF is in the wrong place.

Just to clarify: this is in shoulder-mount position where the VF is behind my ear.