DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   XDCAM Browser 2.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/505086-xdcam-browser-2-0-a.html)

Ron Wilk February 7th, 2012 12:51 PM

XDCAM Browser 2.0

It appears that the latest version of XDCAM Browser is required for the latest F3 firmware version. But when you install it—there is no prior warning—you are greeted by a screen indicating that it is a 30day trial version. There is a prompt to purchase a retail version and a link that allegedly should take you to a site to accomplish said purchase ... but aside from the fact that IMO there should not be a charge for XDCAM owner/uses, the linked page does not offer the opportunity to make said purchase. Has anyone gone this route?

Dave Sperling February 7th, 2012 05:25 PM

Re: XDCAM Browser 2.0

Ron,
Sounds strange to me. When I installed XDcam Browser back when F3 firmware 1.20 came out (and I thus needed to) there was no '30 day trial' or any nonsense about paying for the basic browser.
Did you by any chance install the 'Advanced Pack' - which adds extra features (for a price)?

Peter G. Johnson February 7th, 2012 06:22 PM

Relates to 'Essence Mark List?'

I think that refers to the 30 day trial of the 'Essence Mark List.' On mine it's the only thing greyed out. Otherwise, the browser is listing and converting files without a problem.

I also had a look at the conversion pack option. Why would you dish hundreds of euros for something you can do for free with Final Cut Pro X or similar program?

One thing I noticed about the latest version of Final Cut Pro X 1.0.3, was the claim that you should now be able to convert xdcam files. But that doesn't work?

Perhaps I read incorrectly.

Dave Sperling February 7th, 2012 06:45 PM

Peter,
I actually use MainConcept conversion pack quite a bit. I have a couple of clients who want everything delivered on XDcam disc, and using the conversion pack, downconverting 1920 to 1440 and outputting straight to my U-1 drive makes for an incredibly fast and easy workflow. And it has to be fast since it usually needs to happen quickly enough to get the discs to Fedex in time. Also for those times when a client wants a fast WMV posted (which seems to be happening quite a bit lately with the corporate types.)

Ron Wilk February 8th, 2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Sperling (Post 1713884)
Ron,
Sounds strange to me. When I installed XDcam Browser back when F3 firmware 1.20 came out (and I thus needed to) there was no '30 day trial' or any nonsense about paying for the basic browser.
Did you by any chance install the 'Advanced Pack' - which adds extra features (for a price)?

Hi Dave,
I had the same experience when I installed the earlier version, but something has changed with 2.0. I did not install anything other than the basic software—no "Advanced Pack" or otherwise. Nothing is "grayed out" at this point, but it is within the 30 day trial period. I guess I'll have to wait out the stated interval and see what happens. The Sony MicroSite, at least at last glance, did not offer a paid option for the software.

Markus Klatt February 11th, 2012 11:56 AM

I am on Win7 and just removed XDCAM 1.3 and installed version 2.0 from the official Sony site. There was no warning or popup during installation but under menu entry "Help -> About..." there is the "Trial will expired in 30 days" (yes, with the typo) hint.

Will see, what is going to happen.