DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Remote start/stop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/505294-remote-start-stop.html)

Ron Aerts February 16th, 2012 02:27 AM

Remote start/stop

Does anyone have a simple idea for a (wired) start/stop remote for the F3?
It's for starting the cam internal recording when on a crane.

Nick G. Smith February 16th, 2012 03:20 AM

Re: Remote start/stop

I have just purchased a Sony hirose.to open end cable from denz- deniz - I expected it to have 2 wires for off/on but it has 4 wires so I am waiting on them to inform me how to connect it to trigger run on the camera. I haven't seen any other manufacturer bring this plug to the market. Denz also have a Sony cable for their own handle system. The cable is only short so for crane use it will have to be lengthed. Best to get in touch with them. It is expensive....
Nick

Willy De Lauwer March 19th, 2012 02:12 PM

Very neat solution found for remote rec/stop.
First get the dedicated PMW-F3 cable from Denz-Deniz:
Przisionsentwicklung Denz - Camera Accessories - Manufacturing
So that's their item 301.0362 or 301.0364.
Then attach a simple switch, and I found this one to work perfectly (seems like they are made for each other!):
http://www.exposurelights.com/produc...remote-switch/
I attached the switch through a female Lemo plug so that I can always put an extention cord in between for real remote operation.
If you are wondering how to connect, this is the friendly e-mail I received from Denz-Deniz:

"Dear Willy,

Thank you for your email and your request.
Please find attached the diagram of the hirose/lemo spiral cable.
Regarding your question the switch works as a start/stop button if you are installing it between green and brown. Between white and brown it will record only during you are pushing.

It would be great if you are publishing to all other users. Thank you in advance for your efforts.

If there are any questions or if I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Best regards to Belgium"

(There was a wiring diagram included aswell, but I do not know how to post it here)

Willy De Lauwer March 20th, 2012 01:51 AM

After testing the remote cable setup I quickly discovered a very unpleasant consequence: plugging in the remote cabel DEACTIVATES the gain and colorbalance control switches on the camera!
I understand this is OK when using the Sony remotes or CCUs, but when connecting a remote switch placed on my shoulder rig handles this becomes very unwanted. Any advise anybody?
I have asked Denz-Deniz for comment too.

Nick Hiltgen March 20th, 2012 04:39 AM

I believe this is because the remote port for the camera is intended to be manipulated by a serial command mode not a simple on off switch. This could actually be useful for s-log recording though as it doesn't really offer gain or programmable white balance... or not?

Nick G. Smith March 20th, 2012 03:44 PM

Does the same with my start / stop cable.

If you look at the supplement menu for the F3 -came on the dvd -
it has a chapter on using the Remote and lists what it disables in camera. I haven't tested them all. Also states to plug in remote connector before you turn on camera. If camera is on when connected it does not recognise the remote.
Notice that PP reverts to PP10.
If you set camera to required settings in db, kelvin, shutter etc. before turning off and plugging in the remote it seems to keep those settings.

Ron Aerts March 21st, 2012 03:11 AM

I need this to connect to a aladin lens remote on a steadirig. The receiver has a relay output for p
Momentary or latching pulse. So it would be great if this can be figured out. Thnx so far

Ron Aerts April 11th, 2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willy De Lauwer (Post 1721878)
Please find attached the diagram of the hirose/lemo spiral cable.
Regarding your question the switch works as a start/stop button if you are installing it between green and brown. Between white and brown it will record only during you are pushing.

It would be great if you are publishing to all other users. Thank you in advance for your efforts.

If there are any questions or if I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Best regards to Belgium"

(There was a wiring diagram included aswell, but I do not know how to post it here)

Hi Willy, isn't there a way to scan the diagram and post it for us?
Thanks, Ron

Nick G. Smith April 11th, 2012 05:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully this attachment works:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/pdf.gif

Ron Aerts April 12th, 2012 11:28 AM

Thanks!
Now I see there is a microcontroller unit built in (thats why it is rather expensive) Wich converts a momentary or latching switch to the controlcodes.
So somthing with these codes make other functions freeze. hmm\

Ron Aerts April 12th, 2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willy De Lauwer (Post 1721983)
I have asked Denz-Deniz for comment too.

Willy, did you hear something from the Denz people?

Willy De Lauwer April 27th, 2012 04:01 AM

Denz promised to look into the problem, after inquiering for a second time this is de answer I got:

_Hi Willy,
_We did not forget you. My colleague Dylan is familiar with the trouble and we hope to get the solution this _afternoon.
_Please accept our apologies for the delay. As soon as I got news I am getting back to you.
_Thank you for your patience!
_
_All best from Munich,
_Christine Sailor

... have not heard anything yet

Andrew Stone April 27th, 2012 05:55 AM

After waiting a year for a reasonably priced start/stop cable (micro controller) solution, I am now resolved to simply using the remote with a bit of velcro on the back. It would be nice to have the run/stop integrated into wireless follow focus handset but the remote works.

Apparently the Denz solution disables to use the paintbox controls.

Ron Aerts April 27th, 2012 06:05 AM

you mean the infrared remote?

Andrew Stone April 27th, 2012 09:41 PM

Hi Ron,

Yes the infrared remote that comes with the F3. One thing to be concerned about is, the remote is the same remote that comes with any Sony XDCAM EX cam, so if there is another camera on location beware.