DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Some Stills from my first Music Video Shoot with the F3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/507830-some-stills-my-first-music-video-shoot-f3.html)

Matthew Cherry May 16th, 2012 07:44 AM

Some Stills from my first Music Video Shoot with the F3

8 Attachment(s)
Man what a joy it was to use this camera. I shot in S-Log using a LUT to monitor on set. It was a little unnerving "underexposing" to a grey card at 38% but as soon as we began the grade it was clear that this advice (and our tests) were spot on. The camera performed great. I used a Schnieder Black Frost 1/2 Filter while shooting.

These grabs are from a music video for WWIX, is a NYC punk band, which is releasing their third album next month. The visual aesthetic for this is typical East Village / Lower East Side Punk, so we pushed the footage around quite a bit and grained it up to give it sort of an older 16mm feel and at 10-bit 4:2:2 it held up great. I can't wait to do the next one!

Dennis Hingsberg June 9th, 2012 10:12 PM

Re: Some Stills from my first Music Video Shoot with the F3

These look great, is the actual video out yet?

Were the vignettes (or darkened edges I seemed to notice) done in post or was the lighting that focused/spot on set?

What kind of lights were used?

Thanks,

Matthew Cherry June 15th, 2012 09:27 AM

Thanks! It just got released. Here it is:

Bender Royale

Vignettes were both on set and accentuated in post.

Lights were a combination of lowel and arri.

Dennis Hingsberg June 15th, 2012 10:34 AM

Man that really looked fantastic, I really like the glossy look you pulled off! Mostly tungsten you say huh? Direct light or any diffusion?

Any raw frames kicking around?

Matthew Cherry June 15th, 2012 10:50 AM

It was almost all direct with one small soft box added in for some shots. I was brought into this due to my still photography work with some bands, and I tend to use a lot of hard lighting (with snoots and gridspots) for that.

I can pull some raw frames when I get back to the studio. But honestly, they just look as you would expect any S-Log footage to. We exposed a grey card at 38% and lit each scene according to how it looked on a Sony Field Monitor. I sent a LUT to the monitor to up the contrast a little for others viewing it, but for the most part I tend to work straight with the S-Log footage as I find that easier.

The weird part was taking such clean pristine images and messing them up so much - it almost felt wrong. lol. But I think the overall look and feel work well for this vid.